Controlling a TPO SoundFont

  • jim_henry_esq
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2004
      As most of you probably know, there is a lack of a good program for
      providing the relay function to connect the MIDI inputs to the MIDI
      outputs under stop control if one is trying to use SoundFonts in a
      way that resembles the control of a theatre pipe organ.

      A year ago I acquired two Wurlitzer consoles that were is fair to
      poor condition and I am in the process of slowly restoring those. My
      plan is to restore the electropneumatic combination action and to use
      the console to control a MIDI synthesizer to provide the pipe sounds.

      I am basing the synthesizer on the Cinema SoundFont from Bruce
      Miles. I am writing a program I call the Miditzer that provides the
      relay function to connect the MIDI inputs to the MIDI outputs under
      stop control. Miditzer has a long way to go but it is already doing
      a pretty good job of simulating a Wurlitzer Style 216. There is a
      graphical user interface that allows control of everything with a
      mouse. I will post a screen shot of the GUI that will give you a
      much better idea of what Miditzer does.

      Of course, the keyboards are MUCH better controlled by MIDI keyboards
      than by using a mouse. I do most of my practicing on two MIDI
      keyboards loosely stacked on top of each other driving the Miditzer.
      No pedals yet :-( Also, no stop control or combination pistons
      except by using the mouse on the screen. No swell control at all
      yet. But even with all these unfinished parts, I have been able to
      learn quite a bit about TPO registration and maintain my meager
      manual technique, perhaps even progress a little.

      I will be making Miditzer freely available. I am trying to put
      together a web site that explains how to set it up and use it and to
      provide a download. If anyone wants to give Miditzer a try before I
      get a web site up, just email me or post a message.

      Best Regards,
      Jim Henry
    • HMRM461@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2004
        Hi guys.

        I have a demo MidiTzer that Jim sent me.  It's GREAT!!!  Much better than the Building Blocks that I had to pay for.  Give it a shot.  You won't be disappointed.

        John
      • claire_trikes_aust
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 20, 2004
          Dear Jim,
          That would be fantastic ! Your Miditizer would be exactly what I am looking
          for.

          You have my full support - but I don't know what I can do to help apart from
          offer my support on email.

          Have you heard of Midi-Ox and Mid-Yoke ?

          Midi-Ox is a program that runs on the PC and displays on the screen all midi
          messages so you can see exactly what your keybaord is sending when you move
          a control etc. Hany for working out problems with CC messages and PC
          messages.

          Midi-Yoke apparently allows you to "map" any incoming midi message to any
          output message. i.e. if midi CC control code 7 comes in, send it to the
          soft synth or soundfont as say CC 27. I have not used it but I understand
          it works quite well but can be tricky to set up.

          If this is of interest to you let me know on this list and I'll point you to
          the programs. They are free.

          Best regards,
          Claire

          > As most of you probably know, there is a lack of a good program for
          > providing the relay function to connect the MIDI inputs to the MIDI
          > outputs under stop control if one is trying to use SoundFonts in a
          > way that resembles the control of a theatre pipe organ.
          >
          > A year ago I acquired two Wurlitzer consoles that were is fair to
          > poor condition and I am in the process of slowly restoring those. My
          > plan is to restore the electropneumatic combination action and to use
          > the console to control a MIDI synthesizer to provide the pipe sounds.
          >
          > I am basing the synthesizer on the Cinema SoundFont from Bruce
          > Miles. I am writing a program I call the Miditzer that provides the
          > relay function to connect the MIDI inputs to the MIDI outputs under
          > stop control. Miditzer has a long way to go but it is already doing
          > a pretty good job of simulating a Wurlitzer Style 216. There is a
          > graphical user interface that allows control of everything with a
          > mouse. I will post a screen shot of the GUI that will give you a
          > much better idea of what Miditzer does.
          >
          > Of course, the keyboards are MUCH better controlled by MIDI keyboards
          > than by using a mouse. I do most of my practicing on two MIDI
          > keyboards loosely stacked on top of each other driving the Miditzer.
          > No pedals yet :-( Also, no stop control or combination pistons
          > except by using the mouse on the screen. No swell control at all
          > yet. But even with all these unfinished parts, I have been able to
          > learn quite a bit about TPO registration and maintain my meager
          > manual technique, perhaps even progress a little.
          >
          > I will be making Miditzer freely available. I am trying to put
          > together a web site that explains how to set it up and use it and to
          > provide a download. If anyone wants to give Miditzer a try before I
          > get a web site up, just email me or post a message.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Jim Henry
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bill Lyon
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 20, 2004
            I saw a reference to photos of the Miditizer being on a web site. What is the
            URL?

            Bill
          • jim_henry_esq
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 20, 2004
              The Miditzer screen shot is in the Photos section of the group's
              Yahoo! web site:

              Jim Henry

              --- In theatre-sf@yahoogroups.com, Bill Lyon <lyonw@c...> wrote:
              > I saw a reference to photos of the Miditizer being on a web site.
              What is the
              > URL?
              >

              > Bill
            • meiers_much
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 26, 2004
                Hello Jim,

                > As most of you probably know, there is a lack of a good
                > program for providing the relay function to connect the MIDI
                > inputs to the MIDI outputs under stop control if one is trying
                > to use SoundFonts in a way that resembles the control of a
                > theatre pipe organ.

                I'll have to kindly disagree with your statement. Please take a look
                at:

                http://www.meiers.net/sven/jorgan

                jOrgan is a virtual organ which is designed to support pipe organs
                and theatre organs (and even harpsichords).

                The new version 1.4 introduces some new features requested by Bruce
                Miles for his cinema organ.

                Regards

                Sven Meier
              • Jim Henry
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2004
                  Hello Sven,

                  I hadn't looked at jOrgan recently. When I last looked it wasn't skinnable and it did have limitations that were a problem for theatre organ configurations. You've made some very nice progress! I'll have to download load the latest version and configure a theatre organ to try out. Thanks for the update.

                  Best Regards,
                  Jim Henry