Re: [theatre-sf] Couple of Miditzer Questions

  • Bruce Miles
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2005
      Jim,

      The current corg_r109 is the latest in a series of upgrades (except 105
      which which was - er - a mistake). I really must get an update log file
      going.

      sfArk is just a different and more readily available compression format. See
      all the gen on my website - Utilities and Soundfont pages. The decompressing
      proceedure is really no different to what it was before. The traps soundfont
      is explained on the soundfonts page. It just replaces (overlays) the rather
      poor default GM percussion sounds. It goes in bank 0.

      All the best applications seem to run ahead of their documentation, jOrgan,
      vSampler, Miditzer - it's a common problem.

      Cheers,

      Bruce

      website - http://www.gbmuk.fsnet.co.uk/index.html

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2005
        Thank you, Bruce, for the information:

        > The current corg_r109 is the latest in a series of upgrades (except 105
        > which was - er - a mistake). I really must get an update log file
        > going.
        >
        > sfArk is just a different and more readily available compression format. See
        > all the gen on my website - Utilities and Soundfont pages. The decompressing
        > proceedure is really no different to what it was before. The traps soundfont
        > is explained on the soundfonts page. It just replaces (overlays) the rather
        > poor default GM percussion sounds. It goes in bank 0.

        Have just completed nearly 2 hours of Miditzer playing (actually practicing-
        still on "Goody, Goody", "Frankie and Johnny" and new one, "Fools Rush In").
        Working on getting F&J up to a better tempo --something above 85 or 90
        beats per would be great-- accuracy of all the note times within Goody,
        at a reasonable tempo clip, and just becoming familiar with all of Irwin's
        arrangement harmonies in Fools, really very lovely theatre organ ones!

        Anyway, I am very pleased with the sounds I now have, so before I
        mess up what seems fine now, want to be absolutely sure about
        "up-grades".

        I will have a go at replacing my 104 soundfonts with the new 109's,
        and add the traps to bank 0.

        Will report back on results. Am just going to wait for Miditzer .4 before
        I fool with that up-date for now.

        Jim Reid
      • Bruce Miles
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          Jim,

          > Have just completed nearly 2 hours of Miditzer playing (actually
          > practicing-
          > still on "Goody, Goody", "Frankie and Johnny" and new one, "Fools Rush
          > In").

          I have a very interesting recording of the late great Sidney Torch at a 4/14
          Christie doing 'Goody goody'. He was the UK's number one in the 1930s.

          I can send you an mp3 of it if you like.

          Bruce

          website - http://www.gbmuk.fsnet.co.uk/index.html

          >> The current corg_r109 is the latest in a series of upgrades (except 105
          >> which was - er - a mistake). I really must get an update log file
          >> going.
          >>
          >> sfArk is just a different and more readily available compression format.
          >> See
          >> all the gen on my website - Utilities and Soundfont pages. The
          >> decompressing
          >> proceedure is really no different to what it was before. The traps
          >> soundfont
          >> is explained on the soundfonts page. It just replaces (overlays) the
          >> rather
          >> poor default GM percussion sounds. It goes in bank 0.
          >
          > Have just completed nearly 2 hours of Miditzer playing (actually
          > practicing-
          > still on "Goody, Goody", "Frankie and Johnny" and new one, "Fools Rush
          > In").
          > Working on getting F&J up to a better tempo --something above 85 or 90
          > beats per would be great-- accuracy of all the note times within Goody,
          > at a reasonable tempo clip, and just becoming familiar with all of
          > Irwin's
          > arrangement harmonies in Fools, really very lovely theatre organ ones!
          >
          > Anyway, I am very pleased with the sounds I now have, so before I
          > mess up what seems fine now, want to be absolutely sure about
          > "up-grades".
          >
          > I will have a go at replacing my 104 soundfonts with the new 109's,
          > and add the traps to bank 0.
          >
          > Will report back on results. Am just going to wait for Miditzer .4 before
          > I fool with that up-date for now.
          >
          > Jim Reid

        • Richard Mogridge
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2005
            Hi, Bruce.

            The Bone Doctor here with a request.

            Could I ask a favour from you? Would you send me a copy, too? I love
            the sound of those Christie TPO's! And Goody Goody is such a great
            tune...

            Thanks in advance.

            The Bone Doctor
            House Organist and Webmaster
            Walnut Hill Productions
            Established 4/2/2004
            Maryville, Tennessee
            http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/

            "Its all about the King of Instruments!"
          • Jim Reid
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2005
              > I have a very interesting recording of the late great Sidney Torch at a 4/14
              > Christie doing 'Goody goody'. He was the UK's number one in the 1930s.
              >
              > I can send you an mp3 of it if you like.

              Oh wow, please do, Bruce. I would love to have it. Maybe I can
              attempt some of his phrasing, etc.

              Thank you so much for the offer!

              Jim
            • Russ Ashworth
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                You are going to hate me but I like Sidney torch too. Could I have one
                too please?

                --
                Russ Ashworth <russa@...>
              • Lynn Walls
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                  Bruce,

                  Why not just upload it to the files section of this list?

                  Lynn

                  Russ Ashworth wrote:
                  > You are going to hate me but I like Sidney torch too. Could I have one
                  > too please?
                  >
                  > On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 16:40 +0100, Bruce Miles wrote:
                  >
                  >>Jim,
                  >>

                  >>>Have just completed nearly 2 hours of Miditzer playing (actually
                  >>>practicing-
                  >>>still on "Goody, Goody", "Frankie and Johnny" and new one, "Fools
                  >>
                  >>Rush
                  >>
                  >>>In").
                  >>
                  >>I have a very interesting recording of the late great Sidney Torch at
                  >>a 4/14
                  >>Christie doing 'Goody goody'. He was the UK's number one in the 1930s.
                  >>
                  >>I can send you an mp3 of it if you like.
                  >>
                  >>Bruce
                • Lynn Walls
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2005

                    Russ Ashworth wrote:
                    > You are going to hate me but I like Sidney torch too. Could I have one
                    > too please?
                    >
                    > On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 16:40 +0100, Bruce Miles wrote:
                    >
                    >>Jim,
                    >>

                    >>>Have just completed nearly 2 hours of Miditzer playing (actually
                    >>>practicing-
                    >>>still on "Goody, Goody", "Frankie and Johnny" and new one, "Fools
                    >>
                    >>Rush
                    >>
                    >>>In").
                    >>
                    >>I have a very interesting recording of the late great Sidney Torch at
                    >>a 4/14
                    >>Christie doing 'Goody goody'. He was the UK's number one in the 1930s.
                    >>
                    >>I can send you an mp3 of it if you like.
                    >>
                    >>Bruce
                  • Clint M Savage
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                      Sounds Interesting. New Sounds ah!

                      Russ Ashworth wrote:

                      >You are going to hate me but I like Sidney torch too. Could I have one
                      >too please?
                      >
                      >On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 16:40 +0100, Bruce Miles wrote:
                      >

                      >>Jim,
                      >>

                      >>>Have just completed nearly 2 hours of Miditzer playing (actually
                      >>>practicing-
                      >>>still on "Goody, Goody", "Frankie and Johnny" and new one, "Fools
                      >>>

                      >>Rush
                      >>

                      >>>In").
                      >>>

                      >>I have a very interesting recording of the late great Sidney Torch at
                      >>a 4/14
                      >>Christie doing 'Goody goody'. He was the UK's number one in the 1930s.
                      >>
                      >>I can send you an mp3 of it if you like.
                      >>
                      >>Bruce
                      >>
                      >>website - http://www.gbmuk.fsnet.co.uk/index.html

                    • Ron Mosman
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2005

                        Bruce,

                        I would very much like to have a copy of that Torch track as well, if you wouldn't mind.

                        By the way, I have been using your SoundFonts for some three years now, mostly modifying MIDI files into TPO sounds at first, before Miditzer came along. I am still doing that, using Cakewalk and Sonar. Often I have the GM percussion track along with the TPO, and sometimes other GM instruments as well. I think they sound great, and I play them for friends so that they get an idea of how a TPO can sound when played with an orchestra or other combo's. I have even made some numbers that would be impossible to play by one organist, no matter how good they might be! Thanks for making what I think is the best TPO SoundFont around, as well as an excellent Classical Organ SoundFont.

                        Ron Mosman
                        Theatre Organ Society of Australia NSW Div. Inc.
                        Sydney  Australia

                        Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!