Touch Screen PC for Miditzer etc.

  • patrickmm97
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
      I just saw an announcement from HP (JUN 12 2008) that they have a new
      22 inch touch screen pc out. It has the entire computer built into the
      touch monitor. Naturally the qwerty keyboard is external. This would
      be a great space saver for Miditzer users and the larger screen makes
      tab touching a lot easier than with smaller screens. I have a 19 inch
      touch screen and it is still a little hard to accurately touch tabs
      and buttons if your hands are a little shaky. When I discovered touch
      screens I gave up on trying to find the right external interface for
      my organ and synth software that would make them easily playable for
      split second program and voice changes. Other interfaces either didn't
      have enough buttons or dials and labeling them for Miditzer and B4 and
      VB3 and others was impossible in the space at each button. Programming
      the buttons was also a chore for me on other interfaces. I'm very
      happy with the touch screen solution. It is virtually painless and a
      joy to use if you have the extra money for one of these.
    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
        Patrick

        The touchscreen sounds really great, sometime I'm going to go in that direction myself.
        Just a question about B4 though.  I also have that.  Can that be operated from the touchscreen more or less in the manner that you would play a drawbar organ?  I realise that you wouldn't be able to just grab a whole lot of drawbars as you might on a drawbar organ but being able to operate them individually by hand would be great.

        Cheers
        Fergie

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008

          Hi, Patrick,

          "if you have the extra money for one of these"

             Sit and wait. Just like digital watches, calculators, cameras, DVD etc, they'll come down to sensible prices once they've re-couped the development cost via people who want to impress the neighbours!

              ... Or am I just being an old cynic?

               Have fun,

                   Roy.

[...]

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
          A Smarter Email.
        • patrickmm97
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
            You can only move one drawbar at a time. With practice, it is not too
            bad considering the alternatives. Or, you could use the sliders that
            some controllers have and use the touch screen for all the rocker
            switches and Leslie sim switch and vib/chorus knob and voice presets.
            There are a lot of ways to do this but the touch screen sure is
            helpful.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
              You are probably right about the cost coming down but with my age and
              disabilities increasing I wanted to have something cool to show the
              grim reaper when he comes knocking on my door, so I didn't want to
              wait.

              --- In theatre-sf@yahoogroups.com, Roy Radford <radford_roy@...>

            • enupnau@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008

                    ... Or am I just being an old cynic?

                Hey Roy,

                Forget the cynic part as in wisdom of the aged or something like that.

                Rgds,
                Ed

                Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
              • Roy Radford
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008

                  Yeah... Know the feeling, pushing the traditional 'three-score and ten' myself this year!

                         Have fun,

                             Roy.

                  wrote:

                  > Hi, Patrick,
                  >
                  > "if you have the extra money for one of these"
                  >
                  >    Sit and wait. Just like digital watches, calculators, cameras,
                  DVD etc, they'll come down to sensible prices once they've re-couped
                  the development cost via people who want to impress the neighbours!

                  >     ... Or am I just being an old cynic?
                  >

                  >      Have fun,
                  >
                  >          Roy.

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
                  A Smarter Email.
                • Eugene Hayek
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                    --- Roy Radford <radford_roy@...> wrote:

                    > Yeah... Know the feeling, pushing the traditional
                    > 'three-score and ten' myself this year!

                    Leapin' lizards Batman, you just hittin' that now.
                    Gotcha by a few there Roy and remember, it's just a
                    number.

                    BTW, the B4 drawbar effect does respond nicely to one
                    of those slider midi controllers like the discontinued
                    Roland MCR-8. All the other B4 switches can also be
                    programmed into it. The sleeper however is the
                    discontinued MZ-2000 Casio keyboard. It has 9 sliders
                    all configurable for output to the B4's 9 drawboards
                    which emulates the real B3.

                    Enjoy your hobby

                    Eugene 'Don' Hayek
                    Edonmusic
                    Ramsey, NJ
                  • Roy Radford
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008

                      Yeah, I know, but you can't help feeling you're living on borrowed time come this September. Still, only the good die young... Should be good for a decade or two yet!

                          Have fun,

                             Roy.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 13, 2008
                        Many thanks Patrick, and also to all who've thrown some light on this fascinating subject.

                        Fergie

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 14, 2008
                            --- enupnau@... wrote:

                            > Don't fret the getting old part, not everyone gets
                            > the chance.

                            Amen!!! Or you might say, "everybody gets a chance and
                            many abuse the opportunity", like the young girl I
                            just saw at the market with infections gallore around
                            seven piercings.

                            But everyone who comes aboard this hobby has a good
                            chance to, and just look at that VTPO of Joe Hardy's.
                            If that's not enough to keep your interests going for
                            another couple decades, nothing will.

                            Eugene 'Don' Hayek
                            Edonmusic
                            Ramsey, NJ