The Alternate History

  • Kid_With_The_Red_Jacket
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 18, 1999
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for The Alternate History community.
    • Five896
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 8, 1999
      • Five896
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 8, 1999
        • Five896
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 9, 1999
          • Phargiome
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 28, 1999
              Dear Friends and FOUNDER: <br>I am as revisionist
              a historian as they come. I believe Weimar was a
              good government, the Prussians did not help defeat
              Napoleon, Australia was founded as a MARITIME COLONY, not a
              dump off for prisoners, and I believe in a New
              Chronology for Egyptian history that deletes out 200-300
              years because the 21st and 22nd dynasties ruled
              symultaneously. It that ALTERNATIVE HISTORY or what?
            • dana_s_1967
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 26, 1999
                Or what, actually. Alternate History would be
                history _other_ than what really happened. What you're
                claiming is that those things _really_ happened, and thus
                they are not "Alternate History"<br><br>We're asking
                "What If" not "But actually it is..."
              • ajuzzell
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 19, 2000
                  An excellent distinction between _alternate_ history and _revisionist_ history.<br><br>TU
                • kou_kou
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 31, 2000
                    does any1 know this side?! www.disinfo.com<br>waiting for comments.
                  • m35Dane
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 5, 2000
                      no
                    • m35Dane
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 5, 2000
                        I am looking for a few people interested in
                        discussing alternate history, specifically, what might have
                        happened in Appeasement had worked and there was no world
                        war 2. I would like 3+ people to repressent each the
                        Germans, the Russians, and the Americans. We have 2 German
                        "ponderers" and one American (no russians yet). The main
                        focus of the discussions is the space race. Germany
                        would be in it and so would Russia, but would America?
                        If anyone might be interested, check out
                      • c_bruff
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 28, 2000
                          Some people see history differently because they
                          like to be different. I assume you have evidence for
                          your alternate versons. I am interested in the 200 to
                          300 year difference in Ancient Egyptian history. I
                          believe I have read about this before. Did it occur about
                          the time of Moses?
                        • c_bruff
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 28, 2000
                            Don't we presume history is some sort of a
                            science? If so, then how could history occur any other way
                            than the way it did occur? Every supposition we might
                            make that differs from what happened has to be a
                            mistake and reveals flaws in our comprehension of the
                            events leading up to it. Germans felt humiliated and
                            rejected by the rest of the world and at the same time
                            thought it corrupt and soft, decedent. Hitler developed a
                            new, barbaric, religion for them and united them into
                            a barbaric society bent on controlling the world.
                            It was all put down in the Nazi gosples MEIN KEMPH.
                            Appeasement would not have done anything but encourage him.
                            Also, we had to discover sooner or later that the Nazis
                            were religiously intent on achieving what their
                            gosples dictated. The West was not comprised of only
                            idiots!
                          • m35Dane
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 28, 2000
                              History is choices. Many choices you make are
                              easy, obvious choices and many you debate or even
                              agonize over. For many choices, if you do not make them,
                              someone else eventually would (maybe). It is those
                              "maybes" and those "agonizing choices" that those
                              interested in alternate history seek to explore. Some people
                              go off into flights of fancy that are not alternate
                              history, but rather fantasy. Just as one can learn from
                              history, one can learn from alternate historical timelines
                              as well. If you stay away from fantasy, you can
                              learn ALOT from history this way. If you do not stay
                              away fantasy, you can still have alot of fun with
                              history. You must learn history to make use of alternate
                              history and for many people, the fun of alternate history
                              is what makes the study of history so
                              interesting.<br><br>Now, you said appeasement would not have worked, it
                              didn't and it wouldn't have. Hitler wanted breathing
                              room. WHAT IF, Oberth and von Braun had fired Hitler's
                              imagination about space travel? This might have resulted in
                              "Breathing Space" becoming Outer Space. With this therory
                              can can discover what has been gained and what has
                              been lost by choices made. We might learn things that
                              are useful in solving problems of today or tomorrow.
                              With this theory, I have had to read alot of history
                              to figure out what could have and couldn't have
                              worked. Alternate history, for me, is a great study tool
                              and I would like to find people who would like to
                              explore the possibilities.
                            • alexgator_j
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 29, 2000
                                Hi all, I've just joined and would like to learn
                                more about queer people throughout history. As a gay
                                man I know that most references to gays and lesbians
                                in history have been omitted or ignored because of
                                religious bigotry. Any one care to discuss this topic with
                                me? Alex.
                              • m35Dane
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 30, 2000
                                  Hi<br><br>I am afraid my knowledge of the subject
                                  is limited to the existance of the Sacred Band, an
                                  ancient group of gay Greek warriors who were supposed to
                                  be elite, but ended up to be no better or worse that
                                  any other Greek combat unit.
                                • c_bruff
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 4, 2000
                                    The number of gay people who have been prominent
                                    in world history appears to me to have been about
                                    the same percentage as in the general population.
                                    What's the problem? Are you upset that they did not
                                    publicly announce their sexual <br>interests? It was a
                                    private matter--no one else's business!
                                  • m35Dane
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 5, 2000
                                      actually c_bruff, I think what he is looking for
                                      is gay heros, rolemodels, people who lived an
                                      extraordinary life and were gay. It could be quite a challenge,
                                      sexual orientation is not something 99+% of the world
                                      population advertise. Like you said, it was a private
                                      matter.<br><br>Good luck in your search alexgator.
                                    • c_bruff
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 9, 2000
                                        I notice the founder has had nothing to say since
                                        January! The amazing thing is the club has drifted along
                                        anyway because it is a good subject. There is a problem,
                                        however. The founder made no statement as to what
                                        alternate history means. Personally, I am interested in
                                        seeing gross errors in the way social scientists
                                        interpret history. That should be what alternate history
                                        is, I think. But to some it as a fiction game in
                                        which people imagine what it would be like if "such and
                                        such a thing had not happened." I have not interest in
                                        that at all. No one, therefore, knows what the subject
                                        is. As a result we have drifted away from the subject
                                        and members have drifted away from the club.
                                      • m35Dane
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 10, 2000
                                          As a person who has a part of Yahoo clubs since
                                          they began, founded 1 1/2 dozen clubs, and been a
                                          member of over 100 (and visited several thousand). I
                                          know that getting a club started is pretty
                                          frustrating. It requires alot of your time. My advice to
                                          founders who have good clubs that aren't growing as they
                                          would like (like this one might be) is to have the
                                          founder get a co-founder who can fill in when and where
                                          the founder can not. Picking a co-founder can be
                                          tough. You have to pick someone you like and trust,
                                          someone who will work to take the club in a direction you
                                          want it to go. I would hope that our founder would
                                          find such a person, I don't want to see the club
                                          stagnate any more than any other member would.<br><br>So
                                          you are not interest in what could have been and how
                                          it might have changed our lives (if it had any
                                          effect at all), but rather what happened and how it was
                                          mis-interpreted? Is that correct?
                                        • m35Dane
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 10, 2000
                                            that should be "...was a part of..."
                                          • c_bruff
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 11, 2000
                                              Yes, you got it. I've poured over histories of
                                              the various earlier civilizations as well as our own
                                              and I found strange things that social scientists
                                              have ignored. For example, they are quick to note how
                                              "liberated" women have become at times in previous
                                              civilizations but never take note that it is always lost again
                                              and why. They claim that the pyramids were built on
                                              slave labour--or that they were built by the people
                                              donating their labor--as were the great cathederals of
                                              Europe. It does not seem to occur to them that both
                                              accounts are correct but at different times. That is, the
                                              projects were begun with volunteer labour but not later
                                              on. It is as if they did not want to notice so they
                                              would not have to come up with an explanation. Why did
                                              the people always change? These are just a few of
                                              many examples.
                                            • ajuzzell
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 4, 2000
                                                I believe the confusion over what alternate
                                                history really is can be contributed, not necessarily to
                                                the lack of definition by the founder of this club,
                                                but by the fact that alternate history is a young way
                                                of thinking about history. Most of us who cut our
                                                teeth reading the works of Harry Turtledove see
                                                alternate history as a collection of "What If?" stories.
                                                But the view put forth by c_bruff is equally viable,
                                                even if not the "accepted" view. So, take heart, sir,
                                                perhaps while those of us more set in our ways regarding
                                                alternate history will continue to ask inane questions like
                                                "What if the Germans won the First World War?" or "What
                                                if George Washington had eaten more beans?", you
                                                might come in with a new definition that will bite us
                                                in the butt.<br><br>Perhaps that's what the founder
                                                of this club wanted after all.
                                              • joshuaamitchell
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 11, 2000
                                                  Queer history? That's a new interpretation of
                                                  "alternate history!"<br><br>Alexander the Great. Queer. Damn
                                                  fine general. What more could be said?<br><br>What if
                                                  he hadn't been queer...?<br><br>Anyhow, on to
                                                  another topic. Why did the Persian army lose the Battle
                                                  of Marathon? Just a military blunder with there
                                                  cavalry that may have changed the Western World?
                                                • joshuaamitchell
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 13, 2000
                                                    I was watching a special on PBS, in which an
                                                    English Anthropologist speculated on how the eruption of
                                                    Mt. Krakatowa (c. 500 AD) lead to a chain reaction of
                                                    events, including the Black Death, the invasion of the
                                                    Agars from Mongolia, the invasion of Anglo-Saxons into
                                                    Briton, the undermining of the Roman Empire's power base,
                                                    to include just a few of the events that he
                                                    speculated were directly affected by the eruption. This
                                                    caused the end of the Classical era and gave birth to an
                                                    embyonic modern era.<br>If correct,(his logic and physical
                                                    evidence seemed sound)it's amazing how a single geological
                                                    event could dramatically change every region of the
                                                    world's politics, economics, and culture.<br>What if the
                                                    volcano hadn't erupted? I wonder where the classical
                                                    world would have taken us by the year 2000.
                                                  • auswegian
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 20, 2000
                                                      Recently I had this piece of alternate history
                                                      cotton (wasn't developed enough to call it a thread)
                                                      that involved Hideki Tojo and Josef Stalin having a
                                                      homosexual affair from about 1940 or something. I was
                                                      wondering how this would effect operations such as
                                                      Barbarossa and the bombing of Pearl Harbour and their
                                                      consequences. Anybody got any ideas?
                                                    • ajuzzell
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Aug 27, 2000
                                                        Where is everybody?-body?-body? (easiest way to get echo effect).
                                                      • davepyl
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Aug 11, 2001
                                                          Has anyone read Star Wars: Infinities? A What if about what could have happened if things had gone differently when Luke Skywalker tried and failed to destroy the deathstar.