Marvel Firsts: WWII Super Heroes

  • xmscity1225
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
      By the way, has anyone picked this book up? It looks like it just came out in the past month or two.

      It's a fat tpb reprinting a lot of the early characters, though I think usually just one story per a character.

      http://marvel.com/comics/collection/46230/marvel_firsts_wwii_super_heroes_trade_paperback
    • edward love
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
        I was really tempted. Problem is, I already own half of the stories in other reprints! Hoping I might find it at used bookstore for half off some day.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
          As far as I can tell, the only stories that are not already reprinted in Masterworks are the ones from Mystic Comics #5-7 (which I very much hope will soon appear in Mystic Comics Masterworks, Vol. 2, because really, that starts to get into the best non-"big three" comics of Timely's early years).

          ...anyway, I'm guessing those must be:
          The Black Marvel (Mystic Comics #5)
          The Destroyer (Mystic Comics #6)
          The Witness (Mystic Comics #7) [I'm guessing?  The only other new character in this issue is Davey and the Demon, and that's seriously obscure- The Witness appeared in The Twelve, though)

          Anyone else spot any not-already-in-masterworks reprints?

          cheers,
          -henry

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
            F.Y.I., it's currently coming up at $24.10 om amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=978-0-7851-6791-4) and at $23.63 on barnesandnoble.com (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/marvel-firsts-bill-everett/1112765052?ean=9780785167914&itm=1&usri=9780785167914), which the site says is 40% off. [NOTE: I'm a member at Barnes & Noble, so that may also include my member discount.]

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2013
              Just went ahead and ordered it through Barnes and Noble . . . with my membership and an additional discount coupon, it comes to $20.10 with the sales tax. (I get free shipping from them.)

              I'm psyched!
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31, 2013
                Hi all,

                My local library picked this book up already. I read it and wrote a short review that will be in the next issue of my zine. I can post a link for it here in a few days when I release it.

                ~Scott C.
              • xmscity1225
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Just got my copy in the mail today . . . from Mystic Comics #5 it has
                  * Black Marvel
                  * Introducing the Terror
                  * Blazing Skul

                  from Mystic Comics #6 it has The Destroyer

                  and from Mystic Comics #7 it has The Witness: Judge, Juror and Avenger of Evil

                  ------------------------------------

                  Also noticed that barnesandnoble.com has Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age All-Winners - Volume 1 in paperback coming out in August of this year.

                  A paperback version of Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Human Torch - Volume 1 is coming out early this month.

                  --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, Henry Andrews <Hha1@...> wrote:

                  As far as I can tell, the only stories that are not already reprinted in Masterworks are the ones from Mystic Comics #5-7 (which I very much hope will soon appear in Mystic Comics Masterworks, Vol. 2, because really, that starts to get into the best non-"big three" comics of Timely's early years).

                  ...anyway, I'm guessing those must be:
                  The Black Marvel (Mystic Comics #5)
                  The Destroyer (Mystic Comics #6)
                  The Witness (Mystic Comics #7) [I'm guessing?  The only other new character in this issue is Davey and the Demon, and that's seriously obscure- The Witness appeared in The Twelve, though)

                  Anyone else spot any not-already-in-masterworks reprints?
                • Henry Andrews
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Oh wow, Terror and Blazing Skull, good stuff.  I know Blazing Skull has actually shown up in more modern times but has the Terror?  That origin story is fantastic- sadly the feature got less interesting as time went on.

                    cheers,
                    -henry

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                      By the way, they also had a Jimmy Jupiter story from Marvel Mystery Comics #28 . . . Jimmy Jupiter was part of the Captain America story when Cap got a new #1 back in 2011 (and his other book became Captain America and _________________ ).
                    • edward love
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
                        He showed up in an old folks home in She-Hulk. However, not sure about how canon those stories were. Always thought the Terror had some potential, properly revived for the modern times.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 10, 2013
                          Hi all,

                          As promised, you can download my zine issue that includes my review of Marvel Firsts: WWII Super Heroes here - http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/113219/The-Trophy-Case-vol.-2%2C-no.-4

                          ~Scott C.