Re: Anyone still out there?

  • edward
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22 7:28 AM
      After reading the first few issues of THE MARVELS PROJECT, I don't read anything by Brubaker anymore and gave up on Andreyko some time ago with his handling of the various Manhunters and retconning their histories while killing a bunch of them off. It would be impossible for me to approach anything written by them with an open mind, I'd only see the flaws.

      --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, "xmscity1225" <xmscity1225@...> wrote:

      > I agree with Captain America Corps . . . have you tried the Captain America and Bucky series (which had been the regular Captain America series until they decided to have a new Captain America No. 1)?
      >
      > --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, edward love <cash_gorman@> wrote:
      >
      > Not getting it. It's almost exactly what I thought it would be and what I don't particularly care for: taking colorful figures that hadn't been seen in decades, dress them in army uniforms to hid their superhero togs and give them guns and weapons in order to make them more "realistic" and then use them as cannon fodder to show how serious and realistic of a story it is.  And I don't find the art particularly appealing to look at. They're better off in limbo, imho. Give me Roy Thomas' INVADERS or ALL STAR SQUADRON any day of the week. Comics that aren't embarrassed to actually be SUPERHERO comics.
      >
      > However, CAPTAIN AMERICA CORPS is a great and fun read and I'd give MYSTERY MEN a B+

    • Henry Andrews
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 22 8:15 AM
        I was not particularly enamored of The Twelve by the time JMS shelved it.  Instead of working with the often crazy origins of the Golden Age heroes and playing on the sense of wonder and possibilities (some of which were silly, and some of which were quite dark), he was making everything more "realistic" and less interesting.  Realistic does not necessarily mean less interesting, but in this case I feel it does.

        Why not run with the crazy zombie master origin Joe Simon wrote for The Fiery Mask?  Yes, it's ridiculous, but you could do some very small tweaks, keep the fun, and make it no less ridiculous than many current stories.  Instead it's being played off as some sort of hallucination?

        And the worst for me is the Black Widow.  I liked what he was doing with her at first, but then he retconned her origin as well.  The Black Widow's origin in Mystic #4 is one that I found both shocking and excellent when I first read it.  It's absolutely classic, with all of the moments of Satan influencing her and others and more or less tricking her into the role.  It did not need to be touched at all, certainly not turned into the much more pedestrian story he used instead.  I'll probably read the rest to see what he does, but I don't really have high hopes for the series.

        -henry

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 25 1:38 AM
          --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:
          Nope. I'm gone. And as for JMS finishing The Twelve, I'll believe that when I see it on a stand somewhere, and not one minute before.

          Rip Off