[The All Winners Squad] Re: Anyone still out there?

  • edward
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22, 2011
      Daring Mystery featured the Phantom Reporter written by David Liss who is currently writing MYSTERY MEN for Marvel and soon The Spider for Dynamite. He does a decent job at capturing the era and crafting a solid story. The downside to that comic was the reprint of the Phantom Reporter in the back that indicated a lot of elements that are never touched on in THE TWELVE or this comic, there was a little more going on with the character other than being a reporter who fights crime in a mask and suit.

      --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, Henry Andrews <Hha1@...> wrote:

      > I was particularly fond of the Daring Mystery, Young Allies and Sub-Mariner issues.
      > IIRC, the Daring Mystery was a noir-ish story- I don't recall the details but I do recall liking it and finding it to be one of the stronger one-shots.  Young Allies had the "revived post-Winter Soldier Bucky looks up what happened to the rest of the Young Allies" story I always wanted to read, and Sub-Mariner featured a great Roy Thomas story that really got the essence of the character.
      >
      > cheers,
      > -henry
      >

      > >________________________________

    • edward
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 22, 2011
        After reading the first few issues of THE MARVELS PROJECT, I don't read anything by Brubaker anymore and gave up on Andreyko some time ago with his handling of the various Manhunters and retconning their histories while killing a bunch of them off. It would be impossible for me to approach anything written by them with an open mind, I'd only see the flaws.

        --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, "xmscity1225" <xmscity1225@...> wrote:

        > I agree with Captain America Corps . . . have you tried the Captain America and Bucky series (which had been the regular Captain America series until they decided to have a new Captain America No. 1)?
        >
        > --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, edward love <cash_gorman@> wrote:
        >
        > Not getting it. It's almost exactly what I thought it would be and what I don't particularly care for: taking colorful figures that hadn't been seen in decades, dress them in army uniforms to hid their superhero togs and give them guns and weapons in order to make them more "realistic" and then use them as cannon fodder to show how serious and realistic of a story it is.  And I don't find the art particularly appealing to look at. They're better off in limbo, imho. Give me Roy Thomas' INVADERS or ALL STAR SQUADRON any day of the week. Comics that aren't embarrassed to actually be SUPERHERO comics.
        >
        > However, CAPTAIN AMERICA CORPS is a great and fun read and I'd give MYSTERY MEN a B+

      • Henry Andrews
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 22, 2011
          I was not particularly enamored of The Twelve by the time JMS shelved it.  Instead of working with the often crazy origins of the Golden Age heroes and playing on the sense of wonder and possibilities (some of which were silly, and some of which were quite dark), he was making everything more "realistic" and less interesting.  Realistic does not necessarily mean less interesting, but in this case I feel it does.

          Why not run with the crazy zombie master origin Joe Simon wrote for The Fiery Mask?  Yes, it's ridiculous, but you could do some very small tweaks, keep the fun, and make it no less ridiculous than many current stories.  Instead it's being played off as some sort of hallucination?

          And the worst for me is the Black Widow.  I liked what he was doing with her at first, but then he retconned her origin as well.  The Black Widow's origin in Mystic #4 is one that I found both shocking and excellent when I first read it.  It's absolutely classic, with all of the moments of Satan influencing her and others and more or less tricking her into the role.  It did not need to be touched at all, certainly not turned into the much more pedestrian story he used instead.  I'll probably read the rest to see what he does, but I don't really have high hopes for the series.

          -henry

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 25, 2011
            --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:
            Nope. I'm gone. And as for JMS finishing The Twelve, I'll believe that when I see it on a stand somewhere, and not one minute before.

            Rip Off