Welcome To 2010!

  • Rip Jagger
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
      Just a note to break the silence. Anything of note happening in the world of the WWII heroes?
    • DaveOfTwoWorlds@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
        Haven't seen anything lately...the only comics shop in my area closed
        down recently, so I'm kinda at a disadvantage(I missed out on the Marvel
        Mystery Handbook 70th Anniversary edition, for example).
      • Darci
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
          Rip,
          As far as Timely goes, not too much.  Marvel has announced a 70th Anniversary Collection, to include:

          Captain America Comics #1 (April 2009), Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (April 2009), Human Torch Comics #1 (May 2009), Marvel Mystery Comics #1 (May 2009), Miss America Comics #1 (June 2009), Young Allies Comics #1 (June 2009), USA Comics #1 (July 2009), All Select Comics #1 (July 2009), All Winners Comics #1(Aug 2009), Mystic Comics #1 (Sept 2009), and Daring Mystery Comics #1 (Sept 2009).

          Some of those 70th Anniversary Specials were not too bad.

          Thanks,

          Darci

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
            Well...

            I was home with a cold - and no kids - Monday and Tuesday so I finally got around to seeing the end of the Dirty Dozen and watched Kelly's Heroes. And several documentaries ("birth" of the SAS in North Africa, Nazi connections in London, etc.) Do they count?

            On the DC side, I watched several episodes of JL Unlimited which featured some of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, Dr. Fate, Hawkgirl (albeit the new one) and so on.

            More on topic here, I was actually in e-mail to see what issue of the Marvels Project series Mile High is shipping me. I picked up a couple at a retailer and they are starting me with 5 (I don't update my orders often enough) so I need to hunt down the few that I have missed.

            Oh, and I noticed that the newer of the two bad Captain America movies is on Hulu. Wondering if I can get my DVD-R/VCR machine to record something from my TV that is being input from my laptop. Might be worth trying.

            Sean

            > Anything of note happening in the world of the WWII heroes?

            >     theallwinnerssquad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • c_midnite
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
              Huh? Guess I did too. Shoot. Have to add that to my list.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
                Everybody probably already knew about it already, but on
                dcindexes.com(Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics, an invaluable research
                tool), a Marvel section was added--its database covers Marvel from 1939
                (the Timely days) up to roughly 1995-96, just before the whole "Heroes
                Reborn" thing. The information is pretty basic, but the thumbnails of
                classic covers are wonderful. I don't always have the best luck with
                posting links, but it's at http://www.dcindexes.com/marvel/
              • edward love
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                  I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. It was a schizophrenic book, really good for minor characters that haven't been touched in 70 years. But, for the other characters, the focus was on modern continuity and history and not the original characters such as neither Hurricane nor Mercury have entries, but the silver/bronze age character Makkari does and they are just briefly covered in his entry which is otherwise all modern stories. If that retcon qualifies the Eternal to be in the book, then by that logic, we should see all historical and GA retcon characters revealed to have been alive before or up to that time. Likewise, there are needless long entries on characters like Leonard McKenzie who should barely qualify as a footnote to Namor. Then you have a mixture of modern and original GA art for the characters. Some are so minor a case could be made that a suitable and decent enough quality pic from the original appearances would be difficult at best. Except that Namor's main illo is a modern artist and as he appears today. There's no way that a decent enough pic from Everett or even Schomburg couldn't be found.

                  Lastly, the book suffered that it's mainly put together and edited by comic fans and not someone that actually knows things about book publishing. It would have solved some of the inconsistencies in the book such as the artwork issue. As the entries are broken into two sections (long ones a page or more longer and ones barely qualifying for a couple of paragraphs), a table of contents or an index should have been included. Likewise, you have power grids but nothing that explains what the ratings mean, relying on the fact that the buyers are so ingrained that they have bought the other books or gotten the needed information through online, osmosis or some other arcane means. I still don't know how a normal person has a rating of 1 and not 0 for energy projection powers.

                  Huh? Guess I did too. Shoot. Have to add that to my list.

                  > down recently, so I'm kinda at a disadvantage( I missed out
                  > on the Marvel
                  > Mystery Handbook 70th Anniversary edition, for example).

                  >     theallwinnerssquad- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                • xmscity1225
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2011
                    Just noticed that on both the www.bn.com (Barners & Noble) and amazon.com websites that they're offering the upcoming Marvels Project collection in paperback form for $16.95 (normal cover price is $29.99) if you pre-order now. Availability is early June of this year. (No deals going through Borders website; I guess they have WAY too many other financial issues because of the bancruptcy filing. The store location by me is one of the ones closing, and they had discounted their remaining comicbooks at 50% last time I was there, with tpbs at 25% off.)