Human Torch story from 'Men's Adventure' #28 (1954) in Files Section...

  • jfglade
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 21, 2006
      It has been very quiet here for too long, and I don't know that posting
      any new material will help, but it can't hurt. Out of the three stories
      in the issue, this is the one that impressed me the most; flying
      saucers and aliens from space were something of a hot topic in 1954,
      but the subject hadn't been beaten into the ground the way it later
      would be in comic books. I probably like the story because it ends
      differently than I anticipated, and it would be hard to mistake this
      for a Torch story from earlier years. It a pity the attempt in the
      fifties to keep the Torch, Captain America, and Submariner in print
      came to such a sorry end; obviously, stories involving those characters
      could still be entertaining, even thought provoking.

      For What It Is Worth,
      Jon
    • Carl Miller
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 21, 2006
        Thank you! : )

        --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, jfglade <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > It has been very quiet here for too long, and I don't know that posting
        > any new material will help, but it can't hurt. Out of the three stories
        > in the issue, this is the one that impressed me the most; flying
        > saucers and aliens from space were something of a hot topic in 1954,
        > but the subject hadn't been beaten into the ground the way it later
        > would be in comic books. I probably like the story because it ends
        > differently than I anticipated, and it would be hard to mistake this
        > for a Torch story from earlier years. It a pity the attempt in the
        > fifties to keep the Torch, Captain America, and Submariner in print
        > came to such a sorry end; obviously, stories involving those characters
        > could still be entertaining, even thought provoking.
        >
        > For What It Is Worth,
        > Jon

      • Reuben Reuben
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 21, 2006
          Thanks, Jon.  Interesting story.

          jfglade <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          It has been very quiet here for too long, and I don't know that posting
          any new material will help, but it can't hurt. Out of the three stories
          in the issue, this is the one that impressed me the most; flying
          saucers and aliens from space were something of a hot topic in 1954,
          but the subject hadn't been beaten into the ground the way it later
          would be in comic books. I probably like the story because it ends
          differently than I anticipated, and it would be hard to mistake this
          for a Torch story from earlier years. It a pity the attempt in the
          fifties to keep the Torch, Captain America, and Submariner in print
          came to such a sorry end; obviously, stories involving those characters
          could still be entertaining, even thought provoking.

          For What It Is Worth,
          Jon

          Sponsored Link

          Get an Online or Campus degree - Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's -in less than one year.

        • Jeff L1965
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 21, 2006
            Thaks for sharing this. It IS pretty good. I'm guessing that maybe they didn't want to get as boring as some of the 50's DC comics were? I've not read a lot from that era, but some were not all that interesting. But I do agree that maybe Timely/Marvel still could've done well.

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 22, 2006
              Great stuff! Thanks for posting it. I have this story lurking in a
              reprint somewhere, I'd imagine in the short-lived Human Torch reprint
              book from the 70's.

              Dean
            • Greg
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 22, 2006
                Well,
                If you want to jumpstart the list, the second volume of
                ALL-WINNERS went to press last week. I worked very hard all summer on
                this, and I suspect that we will all be pleased by the results.
                Regards,
                Greg Theakston
              • jfglade
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
                  --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, Greg <teasemag@...> wrote:

                  > Well,
                  > If you want to jumpstart the list, the second volume of
                  > ALL-WINNERS went to press last week. I worked very hard all summer on
                  > this, and I suspect that we will all be pleased by the results.
                  > Regards,
                  > Greg Theakston

                  Greg, I know I'm interested, although the book is probably priced at
                  beyond what I can afford. Would you be kind enough to post some
                  information about the book, including price and page count?

                  Thanks in advance,
                  Jon
                • michael dunne
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
                    If retail turns out to e too much for you,try the very nice folks at dcbs.

                    35 percnt discount and nice folks with great customer service.
                    regards
                    michael

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
                      [The All Winners Squad] Re: All=Winners Volume II
                      --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, Greg <teasemag@...> wrote:

                      > Well,
                      >   If you want to jumpstart the list, the second volume of
                      > ALL-WINNERS went to press last week. I worked very hard all summer on
                      > this, and I suspect that we will all be pleased by the results.
                      > Regards,
                      > Greg Theakston

                      Greg, I know I'm interested, although the book is probably priced at
                      beyond what I can afford. Would you be kind enough to post some
                      information about the book, including price and page count?

                      Thanks in advance,
                      Jon
                      Jon,
                              The book will be 250 pages, including my foreword. LOTS of great stories and cool heroes. Don't know the cover price though. But even if it's $75, you'd never be able to buy even one of those issues for the same price. A good deal.
                      Regards,
                      GT
                    • jfglade
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                        Apparently, either the company isn't handling the book or my search
                        request didn't actually go though because I've never bought anything
                        from them and I'm not registered as a member. If I can't find a book
                        through them, I certainly won't order it from them. Perhaps the book
                        is too new to be listed, or perhaps it is being distributed through
                        different channels and dcbs won't be handling it or offering
                        discounts. I'll wait and see, but if I get some solid information on
                        it I would be more tempted to order the book through my local
                        bookstore, who need the business and will give me 10% off for cash.
                        I've dealt with them for nearly ten years so they aren't a pig in a
                        poke, and I know what to expect from them.

                        --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, michael dunne