Re: Timely invisibility

  • jfglade
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
      I'll believe it when I don't see it, figuratively speaking. For the
      record, Timely did have an Invisible Man character (a.k.a. Dr. Gade).
      He appeared, or didn't appear, in four stories in 'Mystic Comics' and
      then permanently disappeared. He has not been mentioned in any Marvel
      comics of which I am aware. Interestingly, the character was also
      immune to flames and heat, which was a side effect of the accident
      which gave him his invisibility.

      I've always considered it likely that Sue Storm Richards was derived
      from a newspaper strip titled 'Invisible Scarlet O'Neil'. Scarlet
      appeared and disappeared in her own series for over a decade and had
      some of her adventures reprinted by both Dell and Harvey (as well as
      a few original stories, apparently). We'll probably never know for
      certain, but Stan Lee may have remembered Scarlet and decided to use
      her as the model for one of his "new" characters.

      --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, flash14221 <no_reply@...>