Re: QTOM: Captain America Movie Serial!

  • Rip
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2006
      --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, "ripjagger" <ripjagger@...>
      wrote:

      > Like most Republic serials, this is an "actioner" of the best kind.
      > Captain America isn't much like we know him from the comics. He's not
      > busting Nazi heads overseas, but rather fighting crime in the streets
      > of an American city, and his secret identity is that of a prosecuting
      > attorney. This is the one where he carries a gun. All the usual
      > cliffhanging tricks are evident, and despite the typical letdown in
      > the middle chapters, this is one of the more completely entertaining
      > movie serials I've seen.
      >
      > What do you all think?
      >
      > Dean:)

      I am a serial nut (even produced a radio serial that might one day
      become a series of cartoons) and am truly conflicted about this one.
      Like most of the Republics, it is entertaining. But it is a perfect
      example of the problem of translating anything from one medium to
      another. Writers decide that, since there is not way they can do the
      orginal in a way that will satisfy the fans, let's not make a comic
      book, lets make a movie. Then they proceed to through out everything
      that is "Comic Bookish" and make it more like the stuff they see
      everyday. (When the most recent film version of Cap was made the
      director actually said, "I don't like long underwear characters, so
      we'll keep him out of costume as much as possible." Then he made the
      Red Skull Italian!) I tend to think of this one the way that I think
      of "Robinson Crusoe on Mars." We know that Mars is nothing like what
      is shown in the film, so I just think that it must be some other
      planet that they are misnaming Mars. It works if I can pull that off
      in my mind and let the power of "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" take
      over. "Robinson Crusoe on a Planet We Choose To Call Mars, but it
      isn't the one you're think of" is a fun little movie. "The Adventures
      of Someone Wearing a Costume like Captain America" works on its own
      level too.
    • Kevin Garcia
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
        Speaking of serials, anyone seen that Rex Steel, Nazi
        Smasher DVD? It's not as amazing as I'd hoped (and not
        worth full price), but a fun watch.

        At any rate, the point of this post...

        Apparently Marvel is asking for input on digital
        comics and they want to know what people want from
        them.... take this survey to let them know what you
        think and most importantly, notice this entry:

        Q13 Thinking about the types of digital comics you
        have viewed or would like to view online, please tell
        us your level of interest in each the following
        digital comic types?
        Digital versions of 1950's comics
        Digital versions of 1930's to 1940's comics

        I say vote!

        http://www.snap-surveys.com/marveldigitalcomics/

        -
        Kevin Garcia