QTOM: Captain America Movie Serial!

  • ripjagger
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2006
      Like most Republic serials, this is an "actioner" of the best kind.
      Captain America isn't much like we know him from the comics. He's not
      busting Nazi heads overseas, but rather fighting crime in the streets
      of an American city, and his secret identity is that of a prosecuting
      attorney. This is the one where he carries a gun. All the usual
      cliffhanging tricks are evident, and despite the typical letdown in
      the middle chapters, this is one of the more completely entertaining
      movie serials I've seen.

      What do you all think?

      Dean:)
    • nunya bizness
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2006
        I haven't seen this serial, and although I'm a big
        serial fan, I'm not exactly busting open to see it.
        It doesn't make any sense to purchase the rights to a
        character for a chapter play and then strip away
        everything familiar to fans about him. What were they
        thinking? Republic did so well with Captain Marvel...

        --- ripjagger <ripjagger@...> wrote:

        > Like most Republic serials, this is an "actioner" of
        > the best kind.
        > Captain America isn't much like we know him from the
        > comics. He's not
        > busting Nazi heads overseas, but rather fighting
        > crime in the streets
        > of an American city, and his secret identity is that
        > of a prosecuting
        > attorney. This is the one where he carries a gun.
        > All the usual
        > cliffhanging tricks are evident, and despite the
        > typical letdown in
        > the middle chapters, this is one of the more
        > completely entertaining
        > movie serials I've seen.
        >
        > What do you all think?
        >
        > Dean:)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ripjagger
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
          I guess Republic just had a pretty specific formula (a successful one
          too I think) and they just used the name recognition from the
          characters they licensed to attract the audience to what was
          essentially the same story week in and week out. Almost all of these
          stories feature a key villain surrounded by a gang of henchmen or
          cohorts who chase one maguffin or other throughout several little
          adventures before the final denoument.

          Captain Marvel is the best. Captain America isn't that good (not as
          strong visually and the story is more ramshackle) but it's in the
          middle range, and all Republic serials are stronger than Columbias.

          Dean :)
        • Robert Kennedy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
            --- ripjagger <ripjagger@...> wrote:

            > I guess Republic just had a pretty specific formula (a
            > successful one too I think) and they just used the name
            recognition from the characters they licensed to attract the
            audience to what was
            > essentially the same story week in and week out. Almost all of
            > these stories feature a key villain surrounded by a gang of
            henchmen
            > or cohorts who chase one maguffin or other throughout several
            > little adventures before the final denoument.
            >
            > Captain Marvel is the best. Captain America isn't that good
            > (not as strong visually and the story is more ramshackle) but
            it's in
            > the middle range, and all Republic serials are stronger than
            > Columbias.
            >
            > Dean :)

            There has been a lot of speculation that Republic simply used an
            off the shelf script initially intended for an original
            character like their Black Commando (The Secret Code).

            _________________________________

            Plutonium Nightmare
            a novel of The VOICE

            By Erwin K. Roberts

            In PDF or Print-On-Demand formats.
            Free on-line preview of Intro & Chapters 1 & 2
            Now on sale at http://www.lulu.com/Modern-Knights

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mark Luebker
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2006
              nunya bizness wrote:

              > I haven't seen this serial, and although I'm a big
              > serial fan, I'm not exactly busting open to see it.
              > It doesn't make any sense to purchase the rights to a
              > character for a chapter play and then strip away
              > everything familiar to fans about him. What were they
              > thinking? Republic did so well with Captain Marvel...

              I've always wondered whether the Captain America serial was SUPPOSED to
              be a Mr. Scarlet serial (sans Pinky, just as Cap was sans Bucky), but
              got switched to Cap because of the sweetheart deal that Martin Goodman
              made for the filming rights. The costume is just a couple of minor
              modifications away (losing the cape and adding the star, stripes and
              "A"), and the gun instead of the shield makes me think so even more.
              --
              Mark
            • Rip
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2006
                --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, "ripjagger" <ripjagger@...>
                wrote:

                > Like most Republic serials, this is an "actioner" of the best kind.
                > Captain America isn't much like we know him from the comics. He's not
                > busting Nazi heads overseas, but rather fighting crime in the streets
                > of an American city, and his secret identity is that of a prosecuting
                > attorney. This is the one where he carries a gun. All the usual
                > cliffhanging tricks are evident, and despite the typical letdown in
                > the middle chapters, this is one of the more completely entertaining
                > movie serials I've seen.
                >
                > What do you all think?
                >
                > Dean:)

                I am a serial nut (even produced a radio serial that might one day
                become a series of cartoons) and am truly conflicted about this one.
                Like most of the Republics, it is entertaining. But it is a perfect
                example of the problem of translating anything from one medium to
                another. Writers decide that, since there is not way they can do the
                orginal in a way that will satisfy the fans, let's not make a comic
                book, lets make a movie. Then they proceed to through out everything
                that is "Comic Bookish" and make it more like the stuff they see
                everyday. (When the most recent film version of Cap was made the
                director actually said, "I don't like long underwear characters, so
                we'll keep him out of costume as much as possible." Then he made the
                Red Skull Italian!) I tend to think of this one the way that I think
                of "Robinson Crusoe on Mars." We know that Mars is nothing like what
                is shown in the film, so I just think that it must be some other
                planet that they are misnaming Mars. It works if I can pull that off
                in my mind and let the power of "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" take
                over. "Robinson Crusoe on a Planet We Choose To Call Mars, but it
                isn't the one you're think of" is a fun little movie. "The Adventures
                of Someone Wearing a Costume like Captain America" works on its own
                level too.
              • Kevin Garcia
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
                  Speaking of serials, anyone seen that Rex Steel, Nazi
                  Smasher DVD? It's not as amazing as I'd hoped (and not
                  worth full price), but a fun watch.

                  At any rate, the point of this post...

                  Apparently Marvel is asking for input on digital
                  comics and they want to know what people want from
                  them.... take this survey to let them know what you
                  think and most importantly, notice this entry:

                  Q13 Thinking about the types of digital comics you
                  have viewed or would like to view online, please tell
                  us your level of interest in each the following
                  digital comic types?
                  Digital versions of 1950's comics
                  Digital versions of 1930's to 1940's comics

                  I say vote!

                  http://www.snap-surveys.com/marveldigitalcomics/

                  -
                  Kevin Garcia