Re: [The All Winners Squad] (Semi-OT:) Timely Role Playing Game (Beginning Soon)

  • John Packer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
      I'd like that info also.  And, what characters are currently available?
      John Packer

      Kevin Garcia <goldenagewebring@...> wrote:
      Jon:
      > If there are any Role Players still lurking about,
      > you might be
      > interested to know that I am about to begin a series
      > of storylines in
      > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
      > the Invaders will
      > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
      > take place
      > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
      > as on the home
      > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
      > Timely characters as
      > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
      > play hasn't
      > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
      > the ground floor
      > of the group and help determine some of the
      > directions the storylines
      > will be taking.

      That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
      role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
      table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
      there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
      post? Etc....

      And... dibs on Rockman.

      -
      Kevin Garcia
      http://www.kevingarcia.com/
      The Golden Age Mailing List
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/

      -----

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Sports

    • jfglade
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
        I didn't anticipate discussing the nascent RPG here but, there is no
        dice rolling or any other offstage game mechanics involved; basically
        play take the form of writing and what we're writing amounts to
        collaberative fanfiction. Someone (and at first that someone will be
        myself but later on it will be others) will come up with potential
        storyline to the extent that he will think of a situation that
        amounts to a menace (which may or may not involve a super villain
        such as the Red Skull) and will act as Gamemaster for that storyline.
        The GM establishes what the menace is and plays the villain, spies,
        bat people, or whatever, and is also responsible for keeping the
        storyline going. Storyline can take from six weeks to six months,
        depending on how many players are involved and how complicate the
        storyline might become. We'll probably have two storylines running at
        the same time, after we have established the basic premise.

        It is easier to say who has been claimed than who is available, so
        the following characters are the only ones not available: Miss
        America, the Fin, Electro, Moon Man, the Ferret, the Human Top, the
        Vision. Oh, and Kevin is playing Rockman. I would like to see someone
        take at least one of the "Big Three" and I would like to see at least
        one more of the charter members of the Liberty Legion claimed.

        --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, John Packer
        <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

        > I'd like that info also. And, what characters are currently
        available?
        > John Packer
        >
        > Kevin Garcia <goldenagewebring@y...> wrote:
        > Jon:
        > > If there are any Role Players still lurking about,
        > > you might be
        > > interested to know that I am about to begin a series
        > > of storylines in
        > > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
        > > the Invaders will
        > > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
        > > take place
        > > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
        > > as on the home
        > > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
        > > Timely characters as
        > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
        > > play hasn't
        > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
        > > the ground floor
        > > of the group and help determine some of the
        > > directions the storylines
        > > will be taking.
        >
        > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
        > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
        > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
        > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
        > post? Etc....
        >
        > And... dibs on Rockman.
        >

        > -
        > Kevin Garcia
        > http://www.kevingarcia.com/
        > The Golden Age Mailing List
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/
        >
        > -----

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Sports
      • John Packer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
          One of the "Big Three" meaning Captain America, Human Torch and Sub-Mariner?
          John Packer

          <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

          > I'd like that info also.  And, what characters are currently
          available?
          > John Packer
          >
          > Kevin Garcia <goldenagewebring@y...> wrote:
          > Jon:
          > > If there are any Role Players still lurking about,
          > > you might be
          > > interested to know that I am about to begin a series
          > > of storylines in
          > > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
          > > the Invaders will
          > > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
          > > take place
          > > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
          > > as on the home
          > > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
          > > Timely characters as
          > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
          > > play hasn't
          > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
          > > the ground floor
          > > of the group and help determine some of the
          > > directions the storylines
          > > will be taking.
          >
          > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
          > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
          > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
          > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
          > post? Etc....
          >
          > And... dibs on Rockman.
          >

          > -
          > Kevin Garcia
          > http://www.kevingarcia.com/
          > The Golden Age Mailing List
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/
          >
          > -----

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • jfglade
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
            Yes, John, one of those three. Prince Namor would be my pick but I
            would settle for any of the three.

            <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
            > > > the Invaders will
            > > > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
            > > > take place
            > > > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
            > > > as on the home
            > > > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
            > > > Timely characters as
            > > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
            > > > play hasn't
            > > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
            > > > the ground floor
            > > > of the group and help determine some of the
            > > > directions the storylines
            > > > will be taking.
            > >
            > > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
            > > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
            > > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
            > > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to

            Service.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • John Packer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
              I think I will participate.  I'll be Captain America, if that's Okay.  Also, if no one is Bucky, maybe I can be him, too.  It might make the game go smoother if both of those are played by the same person.  Let me know.
              Thanks,

              <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
              > > > play hasn't
              > > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
              > > > the ground floor
              > > > of the group and help determine some of the
              > > > directions the storylines
              > > > will be taking.
              > >
              > > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
              > > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
              > > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
              > > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
              > > post? Etc....
              > >
              > > And... dibs on Rockman.
              > >

              > > -
              > > Kevin Garcia
              > > http://www.kevingarcia.com/
              > > The Golden Age Mailing List
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/
              > >
              > > -----

              > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

              Service.

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              Comic book collectionComic book storeMarvel comic books
              Comic book subscriptionOnline comic book storeComic book shop

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Brian K. Morris
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
                If no one's claimed The Human Torch, I'll give it a whirl. :)

                Brian K. Morris

                --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, jfglade <no_reply@y...>

              • jfglade
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                  --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, "Brian K. Morris"
                  <bkmorris56@h...> wrote:
                  > If no one's claimed The Human Torch, I'll give it a whirl. :)
                  >
                  > Brian K. Morris

                  That would be fine, Brian. All you have to do is join the group and
                  make a character request for the Torch. I always use a two-for-one
                  deal for characters who have established sidekicks, which means you
                  can play both the Torch and Toro; you aren't obligated to use Toro if
                  you don't want to (some folks just don't like to take on the role of
                  Kid Sidekicks) but you may certainly use him if you would like.

                  As I said, we're just getting started and the only messages that have
                  been posted in the way of storylines, so far, are some character
                  introductions, which is just a simple message, as long or as short as
                  you want that shows how you will be playing your character (most have
                  tended to be short adventures, but they can take any form), and that
                  exercise is primarily a warm up exercise so players get used to the
                  way
                  it feels under their character's skin.

                  I might post a message there in a few minutes that will allow the
                  characters to start gathering, if I don't turn our to be too tired.

                  Hope to see you there soon:

                  Take care,
                  Jon
                • jfglade
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                    <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

                    > I think I will participate. I'll be Captain America, if that's
                    Okay. Also, if no one is Bucky, maybe I can be him, too. It might
                    make the game go smoother if both of those are played by the same
                    person. Let me know.
                    > Thanks,
                    > John Packer

                    You are free to play both Captain America and Bucky, since Bucky is
                    an established sidekick/junior partner. Just join the group and make
                    a character request for Captain America and the request will be
                    approved. We have picked up a Miss Fury and a Fiery Mask, which
                    continues the trend toward the more obscure characters (and which I
                    rather like) but I do want a few of the core Invaders and charter
                    members of the Libery Legion to provide links to the Invaders series.
                    We're starting up with the date of April, 1943 so there would be some
                    untold stories between where Thomas left off and where we will begin,
                    and the first thing I'll have the group do is come together under a
                    slightly different premise to explain why we have so many taken
                    characters who never appeared in the original series and so few who
                    did.

                    Take care,
                    Jon
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marvel_liberty_legion