(Semi-OT:) Timely Role Playing Game (Beginning Soon)

  • jfglade
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29 1:05 PM
      Since there is a dearth of activity here of late and Yahoo will soon
      threaten to deactivate the group if it has no new messages, I thought
      I may as well post something, and I do have something that is both
      self-serving and probably of interest to at least a few members
      (provided someone is still around).

      If there are any Role Players still lurking about, you might be
      interested to know that I am about to begin a series of storylines in
      a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While the Invaders will
      certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will take place
      behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well as on the home
      front, I'm probably going to be refering to all Timely characters as
      parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because play hasn't
      begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor
      of the group and help determine some of the directions the storylines
      will be taking.

      All genuine Timely characters (with the possible exception of two or
      three obscure magicians) will be eligible as Player Characters, as
      will a handful of "ringers" (e.g. Spitfire) created by Roy Thomas for
      the first 'Invaders' series. Original characters in the golden age
      mode may be approved once the moderators have seen the particulars on
      those characters and any player who requests an original character is
      also willing to play one of the canon characters or one of the
      approved ringers.

      We're still in the process of filling in the Liberty Legion roster,
      but we should be open for play within the next two or three days. If
      anyone here is interested, the url to the group is:

      if you want to beat the rush.

      If all of the above doesn't appeal to anyone, at least I've posted a
      new message and that will keep Yahoo from shutting down the group
      sooner that it would otherwise if we don't get a few new messages now
      and again.

      FYI,
      Jon
    • Kevin Garcia
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30 1:19 PM
        Jon:
        > If there are any Role Players still lurking about,
        > you might be
        > interested to know that I am about to begin a series
        > of storylines in
        > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
        > the Invaders will
        > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
        > take place
        > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
        > as on the home
        > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
        > Timely characters as
        > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
        > play hasn't
        > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
        > the ground floor
        > of the group and help determine some of the
        > directions the storylines
        > will be taking.

        That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
        role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
        table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
        there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
        post? Etc....

        And... dibs on Rockman.

        -
        Kevin Garcia
        http://www.kevingarcia.com/
        The Golden Age Mailing List
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/

        -----

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • John Packer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30 1:43 PM
          I'd like that info also.  And, what characters are currently available?
          John Packer

          Kevin Garcia <goldenagewebring@...> wrote:
          Jon:
          > If there are any Role Players still lurking about,
          > you might be
          > interested to know that I am about to begin a series
          > of storylines in
          > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
          > the Invaders will
          > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
          > take place
          > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
          > as on the home
          > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
          > Timely characters as
          > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
          > play hasn't
          > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
          > the ground floor
          > of the group and help determine some of the
          > directions the storylines
          > will be taking.

          That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
          role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
          table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
          there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
          post? Etc....

          And... dibs on Rockman.

          -
          Kevin Garcia
          http://www.kevingarcia.com/
          The Golden Age Mailing List
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/

          -----

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Sports

        • jfglade
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
            I didn't anticipate discussing the nascent RPG here but, there is no
            dice rolling or any other offstage game mechanics involved; basically
            play take the form of writing and what we're writing amounts to
            collaberative fanfiction. Someone (and at first that someone will be
            myself but later on it will be others) will come up with potential
            storyline to the extent that he will think of a situation that
            amounts to a menace (which may or may not involve a super villain
            such as the Red Skull) and will act as Gamemaster for that storyline.
            The GM establishes what the menace is and plays the villain, spies,
            bat people, or whatever, and is also responsible for keeping the
            storyline going. Storyline can take from six weeks to six months,
            depending on how many players are involved and how complicate the
            storyline might become. We'll probably have two storylines running at
            the same time, after we have established the basic premise.

            It is easier to say who has been claimed than who is available, so
            the following characters are the only ones not available: Miss
            America, the Fin, Electro, Moon Man, the Ferret, the Human Top, the
            Vision. Oh, and Kevin is playing Rockman. I would like to see someone
            take at least one of the "Big Three" and I would like to see at least
            one more of the charter members of the Liberty Legion claimed.

            --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, John Packer
            <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

            > I'd like that info also. And, what characters are currently
            available?
            > John Packer
            >
            > Kevin Garcia <goldenagewebring@y...> wrote:
            > Jon:
            > > If there are any Role Players still lurking about,
            > > you might be
            > > interested to know that I am about to begin a series
            > > of storylines in
            > > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
            > > the Invaders will
            > > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
            > > take place
            > > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
            > > as on the home
            > > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
            > > Timely characters as
            > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
            > > play hasn't
            > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
            > > the ground floor
            > > of the group and help determine some of the
            > > directions the storylines
            > > will be taking.
            >
            > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
            > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
            > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
            > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
            > post? Etc....
            >
            > And... dibs on Rockman.
            >

            > -
            > Kevin Garcia
            > http://www.kevingarcia.com/
            > The Golden Age Mailing List
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/
            >
            > -----

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Sports
          • John Packer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
              One of the "Big Three" meaning Captain America, Human Torch and Sub-Mariner?
              John Packer

              <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

              > I'd like that info also.  And, what characters are currently
              available?
              > John Packer
              >
              > Kevin Garcia <goldenagewebring@y...> wrote:
              > Jon:
              > > If there are any Role Players still lurking about,
              > > you might be
              > > interested to know that I am about to begin a series
              > > of storylines in
              > > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
              > > the Invaders will
              > > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
              > > take place
              > > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
              > > as on the home
              > > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
              > > Timely characters as
              > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
              > > play hasn't
              > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
              > > the ground floor
              > > of the group and help determine some of the
              > > directions the storylines
              > > will be taking.
              >
              > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
              > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
              > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
              > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
              > post? Etc....
              >
              > And... dibs on Rockman.
              >

              > -
              > Kevin Garcia
              > http://www.kevingarcia.com/
              > The Golden Age Mailing List
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/
              >
              > -----

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • jfglade
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                Yes, John, one of those three. Prince Namor would be my pick but I
                would settle for any of the three.

                <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > a Timely based W.W. II PBEM (Play by E-Mail). While
                > > > the Invaders will
                > > > certainly be involved and concurrent storylines will
                > > > take place
                > > > behind enemy lines and in beleagured London, as well
                > > > as on the home
                > > > front, I'm probably going to be refering to all
                > > > Timely characters as
                > > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
                > > > play hasn't
                > > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
                > > > the ground floor
                > > > of the group and help determine some of the
                > > > directions the storylines
                > > > will be taking.
                > >
                > > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
                > > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
                > > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
                > > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to

                Service.

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
              • John Packer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
                  I think I will participate.  I'll be Captain America, if that's Okay.  Also, if no one is Bucky, maybe I can be him, too.  It might make the game go smoother if both of those are played by the same person.  Let me know.
                  Thanks,

                  <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > parts of the Liberty Legion. I say probably, because
                  > > > play hasn't
                  > > > begun yet, and this is an opportunity to get in on
                  > > > the ground floor
                  > > > of the group and help determine some of the
                  > > > directions the storylines
                  > > > will be taking.
                  > >
                  > > That all sounds pretty interesting... I'm into
                  > > role-playing, but I've never tried any form beyond
                  > > table top. How complicated is playing by e-mail? Is
                  > > there dice rolling involved? How often do you have to
                  > > post? Etc....
                  > >
                  > > And... dibs on Rockman.
                  > >

                  > > -
                  > > Kevin Garcia
                  > > http://www.kevingarcia.com/
                  > > The Golden Age Mailing List
                  > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goldenage/
                  > >
                  > > -----

                  > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                  Service.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Comic book collectionComic book storeMarvel comic books
                  Comic book subscriptionOnline comic book storeComic book shop

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Brian K. Morris
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
                    If no one's claimed The Human Torch, I'll give it a whirl. :)

                    Brian K. Morris

                    --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, jfglade <no_reply@y...>

                  • jfglade
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                      --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, "Brian K. Morris"
                      <bkmorris56@h...> wrote:
                      > If no one's claimed The Human Torch, I'll give it a whirl. :)
                      >
                      > Brian K. Morris

                      That would be fine, Brian. All you have to do is join the group and
                      make a character request for the Torch. I always use a two-for-one
                      deal for characters who have established sidekicks, which means you
                      can play both the Torch and Toro; you aren't obligated to use Toro if
                      you don't want to (some folks just don't like to take on the role of
                      Kid Sidekicks) but you may certainly use him if you would like.

                      As I said, we're just getting started and the only messages that have
                      been posted in the way of storylines, so far, are some character
                      introductions, which is just a simple message, as long or as short as
                      you want that shows how you will be playing your character (most have
                      tended to be short adventures, but they can take any form), and that
                      exercise is primarily a warm up exercise so players get used to the
                      way
                      it feels under their character's skin.

                      I might post a message there in a few minutes that will allow the
                      characters to start gathering, if I don't turn our to be too tired.

                      Hope to see you there soon:

                      Take care,
                      Jon
                    • jfglade
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                        <johnpacker2000@y...> wrote:

                        > I think I will participate. I'll be Captain America, if that's
                        Okay. Also, if no one is Bucky, maybe I can be him, too. It might
                        make the game go smoother if both of those are played by the same
                        person. Let me know.
                        > Thanks,
                        > John Packer

                        You are free to play both Captain America and Bucky, since Bucky is
                        an established sidekick/junior partner. Just join the group and make
                        a character request for Captain America and the request will be
                        approved. We have picked up a Miss Fury and a Fiery Mask, which
                        continues the trend toward the more obscure characters (and which I
                        rather like) but I do want a few of the core Invaders and charter
                        members of the Libery Legion to provide links to the Invaders series.
                        We're starting up with the date of April, 1943 so there would be some
                        untold stories between where Thomas left off and where we will begin,
                        and the first thing I'll have the group do is come together under a
                        slightly different premise to explain why we have so many taken
                        characters who never appeared in the original series and so few who
                        did.

                        Take care,
                        Jon
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marvel_liberty_legion