Marvel Mystery Mystery?

  • Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2004
      I know that with its second issue "Marvel Comics" became "Marvel
      Mystery Comics". My question is why? What prompted this change? Does
      anyone know?

      Dean
    • jfglade
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2004
        --- In theallwinnerssquad@yahoogroups.com, "Dean" <sonofvulcan@a...>
        wrote:
        > I know that with its second issue "Marvel Comics" became "Marvel
        > Mystery Comics". My question is why? What prompted this change?
        Does
        > anyone know?
        >
        > Dean

        I can only hazard a guess, based on the later connection of 'All
        Winners Comics' to a commercial enterprise. Goodman had published a
        pulp called 'Marvel Tales' (or perhaps 'Marvel Stories') before he
        was convinced to take a flyer on comic books. He may have decided
        either that the name of the pulp wouldn't carry the first comic or
        that he wanted to distance the pulp from the comic if it failed, or
        perhaps he wanted some alliteration. I really think he added
        the "Mystery" so it would be associated with the commercial product,
        Marvel Mystery Oil, which had spent considerable advertising money to
        make their product a household name. As I said, it's only a guess.
      • Dean
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2004
          I've never heard of "Marvel Mystery Oil" but that's a wonderful
          notion. It certainly wouldn't be above the ever-enterprising Martin
          Goodman to miss a trick like that one.

          The reason I became curious about it, was that it's rather obvious (I
          think at least) that the "Mystery" on the cover is pasted on as
          something of an afterthought.

          I will admit that Marvel Mystery Comics does have a more euphonious
          ring to it.

          Dean