What Modern Artist Could Do the Invaders?

  • sonofvulcan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
      Which of the currently popular artists would be the best fit for the
      classic Invaders team?

      My vote is for Keiron Dwyer. His run on the Avengers has shown once
      again how strong his Cap is, and the most revent issue of the comic
      gave us another look at his Namor. It is impressive to say the least.
      While Keiron is giving up ongoing series for the time being, I bet he
      could be talked into a mini-series featuring the classic WWII
      characters. Remember the Torch of Liberty from the backup position in
      John Byrne's Danger Unlimited? Kieron has proven he can handle the
      mileau effectively.

      What do you all think?

      Dean
    • jfglade
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2002
        --- In theallwinnerssquad@y..., sonofvulcan <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Which of the currently popular artists would be the best fit for
        the
        > classic Invaders team?
        >
        > My vote is for Keiron Dwyer. His run on the Avengers has shown once
        > again how strong his Cap is, and the most revent issue of the comic
        > gave us another look at his Namor. It is impressive to say the
        least.
        > While Keiron is giving up ongoing series for the time being, I bet
        he
        > could be talked into a mini-series featuring the classic WWII
        > characters. Remember the Torch of Liberty from the backup position
        in
        > John Byrne's Danger Unlimited? Kieron has proven he can handle the
        > mileau effectively.
        >
        > What do you all think?
        >
        > Dean

        Well, Dean, I all think that Kieron could handle the Invaders, and I
        think Sadowski has proven (in the 'Wizard' "Last Man Standing"
        features with the JSA vs the Invaders that he could handle the
        Invaders, and I'm sure there are at least a dozen other artist that
        could produce artwork for a recognizable version of the Invaders. I
        think a more pertinant question is who would write a new Invaders
        mini-serier or special edition or whatever, and why would Marvel want
        to try such a project. It has been right around ten years since the
        last Roy Thomas Invaders mini-series, and there has been the brief
        teaming of Cap and the Torch in the short-lived 'Sentinel of Liberty'
        series and the Prince Namor appearance with the Torch in the late,
        great 'Heroes for Hire' series, but that's about all we've seen of
        the various Invaders in a good long time. I've repeatedly said that
        Marvel seems to have very little interest in their golden age past
        and lately they seem to be trying to put their silver age material
        behind them as well. Which of their crop of desperately
        acquired "star writers" would even be interested in doing an Invaders
        project? Hopefully not Kevin Smith, and I'd pray it wouldn't be Neil
        Gaiman. Geoff Johns might be the best hope for one of Marvel's non-
        exclusive writers to take an interest in the Invaders or the All
        Winners or some portion of Marvel's golden age characters, and I
        don't think I would hold by breath waiting for that development.

        Sigh,
        Jon
      • sonofvulcan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2002
          The Invaders (or significant parts of them) have shown up now and
          again in various Cap annuals and specials and such, but I agree that
          we've seen nothing remotely like a return of the team for a good long
          while. Geoff is a good choice. His sensitivity to the demands of
          such "legacy" characters is demonstrated in his JSA work. But the
          best current choice is Fabian Niceiza. His work with the V Battalion
          is analagous to what Gerry Conway and Paul Levitz did way back when
          with the Super Squad and the Justice Society. It is a logical
          approach to legacy heroes that isn't stagnant or rooted permanantly
          in the past, but doesn't forget the past. The current powers seem to
          think that no one cares about WWII anymore. It has become linked with
          the Civil War and the Revolutionary War as one of those conflicts
          which happened so deeply in the past as to have no consequence for
          the modern man. This is a decidedly foolish attitude on its face, but
          then I don't have to give the stockholders a quarterly report either.
          Maybe WWII and Golden Age material doesn't sell. I would buy it, but
          maybe I'm an anomaly. It does occur to me that the current
          series "The Truth" is set during WWII, and that the big hit for
          Marvel in the 90's called appropriately enough "Marvels" was set at
          least partially in the WWII period, but then what do I know.

          Ever hopeful!

          Dean
        • jfglade
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
            But golden age related material does seem to be doing well, Dean.
            Witness the success of the current JSA series, Robinson's 'The Golden
            Age', Bill Black's various reprint books, and even Archie has issued
            what is hopefully only the first volume of the Shield. As you point
            out, "The Truth" is rooted in W.W. II and 'Marvels' also acknowledged
            Marvel's golden age past. I'd disagree about the quality of Niceiza's
            work, but he does at least work with Timely material without making
            more golden agers psychopaths, so I guess it is a step in the right
            direction. Still, as long as Marvel is still targeting X-fans as its
            primary market, I don't expect to see a resurgance of Timely
            characters and material.

            For what it is worth,
            Jon