Was the Golden Age All that Golden?

  • sonofvulcan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2002
      I would imagine most of us here have an affection for some or all of
      the period typically referred to as the Golden Age of Comics. What I
      wonder is if that affection is somewhat misplaced, or perhaps does
      that affection for characters from that time cause us to give the
      time too much credit?

      What do you all think?

      Dean
    • Mark Stratton
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2002
        9/9/2002 11:59:54 AM, sonofvulcan <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        >I would imagine most of us here have an affection for some or all of
        >the period typically referred to as the Golden Age of Comics. What I
        >wonder is if that affection is somewhat misplaced, or perhaps does
        >that affection for characters from that time cause us to give the
        >time too much credit?

        There is a lot of affection for these characters, but in some it borders on an
        almost obsessive fondness for the characters. There is no room to accept
        change or growth or a recognition that times do indeed change and that
        characters should or can change to reflect that. Any change is greeted
        with shrieks of derision and outrage.

        Mind you, this isn't the reaction of most fans, but it does seem like a very
        vocal and shrill minority make up this group of people.

        I personally enjoy reading GA comics, but realize that they wouldn't sell in
        today's market. I try to enjoy them for what they are, and that's comic books
        from another time.

        I would like to see more "done in one" type stories and less all consuming dependence
        of continuity, but that's just me....

        Cheers,

        Mark

        *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

        "Suppose you were an idiot . . . and suppose you were a member of Congress .
        . . but I repeat myself."

        --Mark Twain

        The Power Alley
        (A Baseball Discussion Group)
      • sonofvulcan
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2002
          Great point! I agree that often even when the comics companies do use
          old characters, the fans often get miffed if there is even the
          slightest alterations from the originals. Personally I don't mind
          such change, if in the final analysis the essential significance of
          the hero is not lost or forgotten.

          Jon has made the point here from time to time that sadly Timely
          characters are often converted into bitter villains. This does seem
          to be a trend,but in some instances the developements make some
          sense. It's just that is seems to happen a lot.

          V Battalion is a good example. To make good stories, some of the
          classic Golden Age characters (and retconned additions) have
          undergone some change. But for the most part those changes seem
          consistent with the way the characters were presented originally.

          I see antipathy to change a lot it seems in regard to DC stars who
          have a more coherent history and it seems very loyal fans.

          Dean