Found-The Crusaders (DC Version)!

  • sonofvulcan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5 6:00 AM
      I chanced upon the old Freedom Fighters comics featuirng the
      doppleganger versions of The Invaders yesterday. Though I long ago
      traded away most of my DC comics from this period I never had these
      particular comics save for the very first part which featured only a
      last page introduction to the team. The issues of Freedom Fighters in
      question are #7,8,9 and 10. Really 8 and 9 have the bulk of the story
      with 10 only having a bit of a transitional ending into the next
      storyline.

      For those who may not know back in the heyday DC and Marvel weren't
      allowed to crossover their characters. Even following the big event
      crossovers of Spidey and Superman and the few sequels not much was
      done along these lines. That's a good thing I think, as much like the
      American League and the National League too much cross pollination
      takes out the specialness of the event. But at least twice crossovers
      were done under the radar with familiar versions of famous heroes
      making appearances in each company's magazines. The first time was
      the Squadron Supreme/Justifiers crossover in Avengers and Justice
      League. In the later 70's we had this Crusaders event. In The
      Invaders (issues #15 and 16 I think)some British heroes showed up who
      reminded one and all of the Freedom Fighters. Likewise in FF a group
      of "Crusaders" show up bearing a marked resemblance to the Invaders.
      Here is the Freedom Fighters Crusaders membership:

      Americommando=Captain America
      Rusty=Bucky
      Barracuda=Sub-Mariner
      Fireball=Human Torch
      Sparky=Toro

      This team was made up of a regular FF villain the Silver Ghost
      (Americommando) and some bogus comic book heroes concocted by using
      some willing comics fans by the names of Roy, Marvin, Lenny, and
      Arch. It doesn't take much to catch the in-joke.

      To my knowledge the FF Crusaders never returned. Is that true?

      Dean