133Re: [The Alex North Fan Club] LOOKING FOR CHARLES SHIPPS

  • mornnb
    Jan 27, 2006
      --- In thealexnorthfanclub@yahoogroups.com, RIP <rip72001@y...> wrote:

      > Charlie! You son of a gun! Glad we made contact. Wish I had thought about ANFC
      sooner. Lost contact with you completely. Marion had an automobile accident just before
      Christmas last year and it was touch and go for awhile for several months. Happy to say
      all is well with her now. Can't tell it ever happened. How are you, wife and kids?

      > Yes! This year has not been kind to our favorite film composers. Bernstein, Goldsmith.
      Those guys, like North, were legends and knew how to compose music better than some
      of the films they were commisioned to score. There are very few now in Hollywood that
      can replace the talent it has lost over the years. Besides North, Bernstein, and Goldsmith,
      there was Steiner, Korngold, Waxman, Kaper, Friedholfer, Tiomkin, and Rosza. These guys
      were giants in there trade. Today, I hear more and more electronic "plastic" scoring from
      our younger talents out there. I do not believe the lack of hearing potential talent is
      lacking so much from these younger film composers as I suspect they are limited in funds
      provided by their cheap minded producers and directors to actually score a film with real
      warmth and feeling the way it use to be done and should be done. John Williams is the
      only one I know of today that can still use a full orchestra for scoring. And, look at the
      movies pumped out
      > of Hollywood today. No substance, bland scripts, and same mo' same mo' plots. They
      all seem to blend together and soon forgotten. I know, I know, I'm over the hill and
      indeed old fashion, but gee I wish we could hear bright eyed film composers using full
      orchestra's they way it used to be. Might make the films better too.

      Although you are largely correct on modern film composers. You should check out flight
      of the phoenix by Marco Beltrami. It's one of the most original and well composed scores
      I've heard in a while. Here's a sample http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/
      muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/393/540393_1_01.asx?obj=v50310
      Also I think Elliot Goldenthal is one of the better younger composers around today.
      However I think Michael Giacchino shows the most promise, have you heard his score for
      the call of duty game and lost tv series?
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic