2011 Trip to Brownwood

  • Sally G
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
      Howdy.

      I just got back home from a wonderful 4 day trip to Brown County. I got to visit a handful of graveyards where our ancestors rest, help identify some unmarked graves using an old plot map a long-time resident family of Brown turned over to the library, visit with a couple of Anderson relatives and visit with wonderful friends. I stopped in Austin to meet a descendant of William Columbus Anderson's. She had two photo albums she let me borrow so I can scan the photographs. One is nothing but tintypes. It was so exciting. I still can't believe she did that. I will be posting those after next weekend. I don't want to scan those so I will have to set up the camera on a tripod to photograph the tintypes. The other album I will can over the next few days and post the photographs here. Anyone needing copies can just email me a request.

      I got a tour of more of the county. My guide was a cousin who has been a Brownwood resident for over 60 years. I got to go to some out of the way cemeteries and got to see where some of the old homesteads stood. Mostly, it was great just being with her. She said it was like a slumber party. We did talk "old" family stuff but we spent a lot of time just getting to know each other. I was a really gift.

      Sally
    • Fran Bolton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
        Sally, you must be one very excited young lady! I made a research trip to the state where my paternal ancestor lived and raised his family, and if you don't grow up around their land, cemeteries, etc, a trip like that is never to be forgotten.
        It ties all your research paperwork together in a way that makes their lives more alive.
        One can't say enough good things about the volunteers we meet who love genealogy so much they contribute their time and knowledge to anyone learning their own. At more than one library I visited in that state, people came up and introduced themselves, saying the volunteers called to tell them a researcher of their surname was at the library at that very moment! One gentleman was quite out of breath, he hurried so as not to miss me...
        A Standing O for them, and for those who go on these learning trip adventures!
        Another Standing O for the cousins that become not quite so distant after we meet them in person.

        Fran

        --- In the_noble_anderson_tree@yahoogroups.com, "Sally G" <sallyfromhouston@...> wrote:

        > Howdy.
        >
        > I just got back home from a wonderful 4 day trip to Brown County. I got to visit a handful of graveyards where our ancestors rest, help identify some unmarked graves using an old plot map a long-time resident family of Brown turned over to the library, visit with a couple of Anderson relatives and visit with wonderful friends. I stopped in Austin to meet a descendant of William Columbus Anderson's. She had two photo albums she let me borrow so I can scan the photographs. One is nothing but tintypes. It was so exciting. I still can't believe she did that. I will be posting those after next weekend. I don't want to scan those so I will have to set up the camera on a tripod to photograph the tintypes. The other album I will can over the next few days and post the photographs here. Anyone needing copies can just email me a request.
        >
        > I got a tour of more of the county. My guide was a cousin who has been a Brownwood resident for over 60 years. I got to go to some out of the way cemeteries and got to see where some of the old homesteads stood. Mostly, it was great just being with her. She said it was like a slumber party. We did talk "old" family stuff but we spent a lot of time just getting to know each other. I was a really gift.
        >
        > Sally

      • Sally Goodson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
          Yep.