Off the beaten track

  • Sally G
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
      The other side of my Andersons are my Herring relatives. I'm named for Sallie Herring, my father's mother. She had an uncle named Curtis Herring. Curtis left NC as a young man and found his way to Texas in 1850. He established a ranch but went to serve in the Confederate Army stationed in Galveston. Upon his return to his ranch in Live Oak County, he found all of his belongs gone. His neighbors thought him dead and divided things among themselves. Everything was returned when news got about of his return.

      I'm learning all this new information because for a change, someone was looking for me. A descendant of Curtis' lives out so far from his nearby town that the dial up was so slow they got rid of the internet connection. But, another cousin of his had told him about me a few years ago. So, he had been looking for me but with little luck. A few days ago, his young daughter got a new phone and was showing her father how she could get a good internet connection out in the boonies where they lived. The first thing he asked was if she thought she could find me. She tried Facebook and there I was. I was so thrilled to find another cousin!

      He sent me some great family information that I am slowing posting into my Herring-Outlaw_Rouse files here. I have been searching for a photograph of Curtis' brother, Calvin Herring who would be my great great grandfather. I know one is out there some place. But, my "new" cousin gave me a treasure that gave me new hope...he had a photograph of Curtis Herring!!!!! So I have posted that along with a sad letter Curtis wrote when one of his sons, John, was mistaken for Butch Cassidy by a lawman in Castle Dale, Utah and shot...............talk about an informative weekend!

      Love to all,
      Sally
    • Sally G
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
        I forgot to add the morale to the story in my last post...

        NEVER GIVE UP LOOKING!

        A Noble Nut,
        Sally Anderson Goodson

        --- In the_noble_anderson_tree@yahoogroups.com, "Sally G" <sallyfromhouston@...> wrote:

        > The other side of my Andersons are my Herring relatives. I'm named for Sallie Herring, my father's mother. She had an uncle named Curtis Herring. Curtis left NC as a young man and found his way to Texas in 1850. He established a ranch but went to serve in the Confederate Army stationed in Galveston. Upon his return to his ranch in Live Oak County, he found all of his belongs gone. His neighbors thought him dead and divided things among themselves. Everything was returned when news got about of his return.
        >
        > I'm learning all this new information because for a change, someone was looking for me. A descendant of Curtis' lives out so far from his nearby town that the dial up was so slow they got rid of the internet connection. But, another cousin of his had told him about me a few years ago. So, he had been looking for me but with little luck. A few days ago, his young daughter got a new phone and was showing her father how she could get a good internet connection out in the boonies where they lived. The first thing he asked was if she thought she could find me. She tried Facebook and there I was. I was so thrilled to find another cousin!
        >
        > He sent me some great family information that I am slowing posting into my Herring-Outlaw_Rouse files here. I have been searching for a photograph of Curtis' brother, Calvin Herring who would be my great great grandfather. I know one is out there some place. But, my "new" cousin gave me a treasure that gave me new hope...he had a photograph of Curtis Herring!!!!! So I have posted that along with a sad letter Curtis wrote when one of his sons, John, was mistaken for Butch Cassidy by a lawman in Castle Dale, Utah and shot...............talk about an informative weekend!
        >
        > Love to all,
        > Sally

      • Fran Bolton
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2011
          And never give up hope you will be found!
          This is wonderful. Curtis has a familiar look, the eyes and nose I think.

          Fran