Howdy

  • Sally G
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 5, 2009
      I just wanted to share some of the nice things going on with the family tree. In the last 2 weeks, I have been contacted by three folks doing research on our family lines. It really has been a wonderful experience for me. For once, I was able to pass on information that someone else had given me. It was a nice feeling.

      Another new person I have met is only the second person I have ever come across from my grandmother's Herring line. Years ago, right after my father died, I tried to finish then what he had started out to do, to find information about his own grandparents. I hit a wall when it came to this particular line of Herrings. I was lucky enough to have someone put me in contact with a fellow that lived in my area who just happened to have written a book on Herrings..........three volumes no less. He told me I would not find my people in his book. He said that he had only found one person looking for the folks I was looking for and that he would forward my contact information to the lady. She contacted me and was happy to share what she could. Regrettably, we lost contact because her husband was ill. Also, my own children were still at the ages that required a mother for taxi service….so I lost contact with this cousin of mine. I pretty much had given up on ever finding another Herring.

      Even when working on the tree I had made only small attempts to add information. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I got a reply about a photo request at Findagrave.com about a Herring that I had posted there because I had this single death certificate out of all the family. The lady offered a very good suggestion since neither of us knew where this cemetery was in North Carolina. She gave me the web address of some small cemeteries in Lenoir County. Bingo. I found some of my Herrings and my great great grandparents and their parents! I asked permission to add the photographs to Findagrave. This got me interested in working on this line of my family again. I went back to Ancestry.com and started working through "hints." It was all the usual, census records, etc. There was only one person with the same Herrings on their tree. I emailed that person and got a response. The response was her phone number.

      Low and behold, she is a third cousin. Her father and my father would have been first cousins. Her parents divorced when she was a baby. She only knew her father through the small amount of information on her birth certificate. Then, when she was 17 her mother died. So, she didn't even have a mother to ask questions to once she was old enough to want answers. Her only contact with her father came when he showed up on her doorstep when she was in her 30s. He stayed 2 hours and left, never to be heard from again. She always wondered if she had family, a half sibling, someone….it was an interesting story. To be able to share family history, names, places, faces…….it was wonderful.

      The moral of the story…never give up and never ignore a hint at Ancestry.com.
    • Sally G
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 22, 2012
        Ok, got a few requests for odd jobs to do in Brown County....last chance to make a request.....

        Also, hope you enjoy the new photos and files added. Many thanks to the contributors. Keep sending me stuff!

        Sally