Re: [the_headquarters] The Refuge

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
      I've been hearing about The Refuge for a couple years Andy.

      http://refugesc.com/

      Charlie, Bruce and others have talked about it.
      Supposed to be nice, good selection of Belgian beers served well.
      Good food.
      Perhaps a bit 'pricey'?

      I'd stop by this afternoon as I'm heading to K&L, but The Refuge is closed on Sundays.

      I haven't been yet because it's a hike to San Carlos (from south San Jose), so I'd rather head (north) east to The Trappist http://thetrappist.com/, Beer Revolution http://beer-revolution.com/, or other beer venues in the East Bay.

      I'm still hankering to check out Handles Gastropub http://www.handlesgastropub.com !

      Thanks for the reminder,
      Roger.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
          Well Brian.

          I've been scouring beer venues to prep for BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) training.
          I stopped at the Redwood City Bev Mo, on my way to K&L.  I was able to get the majority of subcategories for styles 2-11 at Bev Mo.

          K&L was able to help me out, with the Kolsch (Gaffel), but didn't have the others I needed.  The attendant suggest the Willows Market (corner of Middlefield & Willows in Menlo Park).  I stopped.  While K&L had one Kolsch, Willows had 4 or 5, and a bit less expensive!  They claim to have 1,000 craft beers.
          They've got a bunch of Schlenkerla beers, I've never seen.  They also have the Uerige Sticke Alt!

          Check out the Willows Market when you get up that way,
          Roger.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
            Oh man that looks great...

            Prost!