Re: [the_headquarters] Brewing Victory
- Congratulations Chris! It is great to see you guys brewin'Its kinda funny how things can work out in the brewing world. Can't wait to try your beer Chris.By some stroke of luck I have managed to brew 4 beers in the last two weeks, and I plan to brew at least 2 more this weekend all of which are destined for NCHF. ( quality or otherwise ). Good luck on the future brews boys.Anyone down for an all club member collab brew sometime?.... somethin fun & crazy perhaps???From: Chris <chrisferderer@...>
To: "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [the_headquarters] Brewing VictoryI used mostly west coast hops with Saaz as the main flavoring hops. Dry hopped with Nugget. Smells good and tasted good out of the fermenter. Mine clocks in around 8%, so it's a proper IPA to say the least. I'll be sure to share the next opportunity I get.
On Aug 27, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Jeff Achtzehn <jeffrey_achtzehn@...> wrote:Good work Chris.I'll be interested to hear how your Belgian IPA turns-out. I brewed one last year for NCHF that was a Flying Dog clone I called "Baging Rich". It was just okay, and probably closer to a Pale than IPA. Did you use West Coast or Nobel hops? Many feel that Nobel pair better with Belgian yeast. I used the former (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook).Prost!JeffFrom: chrisferderer <chrisferderer@...>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:14 PM
Subject: [the_headquarters] Brewing VictoryOccasionally I find it difficult to get back on the horse. My recent drought went a whole 6 months without brewing a single batch. I thought it might be encouraging to others to share a recent brewing victory!
Last week I bottled a Belgian IPA that was supposed to be a Duvel clone. When I got home I figured out that I wrote down "Belgian Pale" instead of "Belgian Pils" and I followed my written shopping list to a T. This explained my strangely dark wort. Luckily I had some leftover hops and changed the recipe to a Belgian IPA with time left to spare before the sparge. Unfortunatley, my conversion was terrible and I only got about half of the amount I aimed to make.
Today I finally brewed my Duvel clone. Everything went very well and I was able to use a wort chiller for the first time (thanks for the loaner, Andy!), despite my troubles a couple weeks ago finding an adapter for my sink. With the help of BeerSmith, I concocted a 2.25 gallon batch (the largest amount I can currently brew with my setup) and got my OG to match my original goal of 1.072. I also washed the yeast from my first batch and I currently have a surplus of WLP570 if anyone needs it to make a starter. 5.5 hours total from start to finish of cleanup. Not too bad.
Brewing regularly really helps me work out the kinks and keep on task on brew day. It took me a couple weeks to get going, but it feels good to be producing a tasty brew again. Hopefully I haven't bored those of you who brew like clockwork, and maybe this will inspire others who are having trouble getting back in the habit. I'd love to hear others' brewing victories as well. Please share if you like. Cheers!