Re: Fresh hop ale

  • ocarroll85
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2012
      Thanks Brian for the Fresh hop ale idea. I'm down! I am donating my 10 or so hop cones to the cause! Let me know when...Jeff ? Others?

      Brian Baker <tcq49@...> wrote:

      Hey guys, so I'm planning on using the Cascades I'm growing in a fresh hop ale. I'm realizing, though, that my 25-30 cones will not do a whole lot unless I brew a one gallon batch or something. From what it sounds like, you guys might have similar amounts of hops growing. Would you guys be interested in combining forces and brewing a fresh hop beer with all three of our "crops"? It would take some luck in having all of them be ready to pick at the same time (mine are probably a week or two away) but if it worked out we'd probably end up with a solid sized batch of awesomely hoppy, resiny beer. Even if one person's hops were ready before others, those could be used in the boil and the others could be used later for dry-hopping. Might work, might not. Let me know what you think.
      Brian
    • Jeff Achtzehn
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2012
        Happy Monday guys... You are welcome to have any/all of the hops I have growing. I'm estimating that I 100+ clones across the following varieties:

        Cascade
        Chinook
        Willamette

        Jeff

        Brian Baker <tcq49@...> wrote:

        Hey guys, so I'm planning on using the Cascades I'm growing in a fresh hop ale. I'm realizing, though, that my 25-30 cones will not do a whole lot unless I brew a one gallon batch or something. From what it sounds like, you guys might have similar amounts of hops growing. Would you guys be interested in combining forces and brewing a fresh hop beer with all three of our "crops"? It would take some luck in having all of them be ready to pick at the same time (mine are probably a week or two away) but if it worked out we'd probably end up with a solid sized batch of awesomely hoppy, resiny beer. Even if one person's hops were ready before others, those could be used in the boil and the others could be used later for dry-hopping. Might work, might not. Let me know what you think.
        Brian

      • Ron Gardner
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2012

          Hi guys.  On our way back to LA from San Diego on Sunday my son just casually threw out there, “you know, Escondido is kind of on our way back…”  So that is how we ended up making a surprise visit to Stone Brewing.  What an amazing experience.  The facilities are spectacular.  The restaurant is spectacular.  The beer is spectacular.  They had beers on the menu (3 full pages) that you just don’t see elsewhere.  If you get the chance, I highly recommend the trip.  Make reservations for the tour and the dining room.

          Ron

        • Jeff Achtzehn
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2012
            YES! We were there last year for the full sha-bang. Ended up coming home with some barrel aged Old Guardian barley wine, a cool book, and a beer light for my man cave... Good trip. After Stone we drove down the road and spent some time at Port Brewing and Lost Abbey.

            Like Ron, I highly recommend.

            Prost!
            Jeff