RE: [theRANSlist] new member

  • George L. Smith
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 16, 2000
      Bobby,

      Any idea what the engine problem was?

      George

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bobby Hester [mailto:bhester@...]
      Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 10:23 AM
      To: theRANSlist@egroups.com
      Subject: Re: [theRANSlist] new member

      randy beachler wrote:

      > Did not know of the fly-in!!! i might be able to attend
      > the 582 blew apart the bottom connecting rod bearings....the first time
      > was at 440 hours...had plenty of oil..and the mixture was good....(dual
      > EGT) the rebuild,with the NEW crankshaft(larger diameter bottom connecting
      > rod bearings) lasted 90 hours, and did the same thing...i used pennzoil
      air
      > cooled oil,ran the engine every week,and always warmed it up 8 minutes
      > before full power...three blade prop on a "c" gearbox.
      > No one seems to have an answer?!?!?! anyway, what was left became a boat
      > anchor!!! i have heard of several 582's lasting way longer than
      > that.....lucky for me i was flying in northern Ohio where there are
      > many,many emergency (flat) fields...no damage to the plane...

      There I was at 3000' msl, beautiful foliage, beautiful Lake Cumberland,
      perfect
      weather
      except for the 10 mph head wind, when I thought I heard my RPMs drop
      just slightly. I had been at about 5800 rpm and now it is about 5700.
      Maybe I slightly bumped the throttle, a slight touch and it's at 5800
      again. A few minutes later the same thing. Ok maybe the screw in the
      friction block has loosened up a tad, back to 5800 and maybe I'll just
      keep my hand on it for a while. A check of all the gages, everything is
      right where it should be, I had just flown over Russell Co. airport
      about 13 miles back and was now about 8 miles due south of
      Columbia-Adair Co. airport, everything seem fine and I had just about
      determined that it was that friction block when the RPMs decided that
      they would go ahead and drop a little more, while I was holding the
      throttle, now this isn't good. I had a buddies son (Phillip) in the
      passengers seat and I had turned the intercom off to cut down on the
      noise, so I reached up and flipped it back on and told Phillip that we
      had a problem and we were going to have to land, he asked what kind of
      problem and I told him engine problems, just hold on good. While this
      was happening I had spotted a feild that looked like it would do the
      trick, oh and did I mention that the engine had now quit. Well I knew I
      was fairly close to Columbia-Adair Co. airport but my GPS was on another
      screen so I started flicking thru the screens for the right one. At
      about the same time I was shooting the primer to it and trying the start
      it again. I tried about 6 times no luck. Did not need to worry about
      where the airport was any more because it was not in site and I was
      parallel with the feild I had spotted and at about the right downwind
      height. A quick look around for another possible site, nope! OK here we
      go! Nice feild just bailed, with bails spotting the feild. They don't
      appear to be a problem, there is a row of power lines along the right
      side of the feild, start turning base and ease on around to FINAL
      approch, at least for this flight. OK I'm a little too high, S-turns to
      loose some altitude because the feild does not appear real long and a
      tree line at the far end, turn to the left, look at all those trees,
      another turn to the right, would you look at that, another row of power
      line on this end of the feild but I'm high enough. OK lets get her
      straight, past the lines, now down, get on the ground, were movin on,
      vise grip on the brake handle, we're headed to the left rear corner of
      the feild but were still movin on, full right rudder, squeeze that brake
      handle, baby. We're starting to skid around to the right. Skiddd,
      skipppp, skiddd, skipppp. Would you look at all those trees, just about
      15 feet off the end of my left wing tip, hey we stopped.
      ------------
      I'm ok, Phillip is ok and My Blue Angel is ok, well except for some
      engine work. We finally got home about 10PM. More later ...... Got to
      go to bed.

      --
      Surfing the Web from Hopkinsville, KY
      Visit my web site at: http://www.geocities.com/hester-hoptown/

      BILL'S S-16 SHEKARI BEING BUILT:
      http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~remus/S-16/main.html
      SHAWN'S S-16 SHEKARI BEING BUILT: http://www.members.home.net/sreed1
      VISIT BOBBY HESTER'S S-12XL SITE:
      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/7373/
    • william mills
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 16, 2000
        ------anip-----------
        >Would you look at all those trees, just about
        >15 feet off the end of my left wing tip, hey we stopped.
        >------------
        >I'm ok, Phillip is ok and My Blue Angel is ok, well except for some
        >engine work. We finally got home about 10PM. More later ...... Got to
        >go to bed.

        Good work Bobby -
        Man, don't things happen fast when you're goin' slow?!
        Let us know what the engine did.
        All the best -
        Bill
      • n282tt
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 14, 2002
          Hi all, My name is Ken Johnson, I have built and sold a Kitfox and
          currently fly a cessna 150 but am looking into an ultralight for
          medical cert reasons. I am thinking about either a s17 or a (s4 if I
          bet on the sport pilot thing going through). I was wondering if
          anyone on the list have built or flown either of these two and could
          put in their two cents on these aircraft.
          Thanks
          Ken
        • stingerplt
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 15, 2002
            Clip

            > put in their two cents on these aircraft.
            > Thanks
            > Ken

            Ken-

            I built and currently fly a '17. Easy to build, good performance for
            this category of acft. I can answer any questions that you have about
            the '17. Also, I am thinking of selling mine. you can email me.