The "RANS LIST"

  • air2mud
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 1999
      Hi Bill,

      Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I'm really in the
      thick of it now - hence checking e-mail once a week at 11pm on Saturday
      night. Should see some relief in another two weeks. They haven't managed
      to drown me yet, and we've only "rolled" six so far from an API class of 38.

      It was good to meet you, and see all your hard work at the air show. I
      haven't done much to mine yet. Again, waiting for the next training pool
      to start. I did have a chance last weekend to do some serious research on
      free list-serve providers. The one that appears best is called
      'onelist.com.' They provide free serving, with the caveat that each post
      will be forwarded with a three line advertisement at the bottom. They will
      also provide 5mb of server space, free of charge, for pictures and diagrams
      you may wish to make public for the list members.

      I added you as a member tonight. There are currently four (4) members.
      You, me, my wife (test account), and 'rum@...' (who I do not know
      yet, HINT TO RUM: who may read this and send a introductory post). Because
      I worry about the time I will have available before graduation, I have not
      advertised the list yet to anyone. There are many RANS builders I know who
      are "lurking" on other lists like the Kitfox and Zenith because there is no
      RANS list (YET!). We can expect membership (and traffic) to increase
      greatly in a few weeks. Please let me know what you think.

      Before we go public, we may want to change the name. I thought
      'build-fly-rans' was descriptive and expedient, but something simpler such
      as 'rans@onelist' or 'ranslist@onelist' may prove easier for builders to
      find in the search engines. Again, what do you think?

      I attached yesterday's Lancair list to show you what kind of daily exchange
      usually results from one of these forums. The format you see is 'Digest,'
      meaning I get all messages bundled together at midnight each day. Onelist
      supports digesting (which is a very nice feature) the default delivery mode
      however will bounce each message to you as it is posted. Also, you may
      want to subscribe to your other e-mail account and cancel your rutgers
      account membership to the list. I found the interface at the server home
      page (onelist.com) to be easy to use. You can find the list at
      recreation/airplanes/build-fly-rans.

      Sorry to be all business today. Not much time for much else besides sleep,
      eat, and other trash. I hope to get in there building with you soon. Good
      luck! Send what you can to me and the list, and I will get back to you as
      soon as I can.

      -Brian

      >To: <lancair.list@...>
      >From: lancair.list@... (Lancair)
      >Subject: lancair.list V1 #133
      >Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 00:14:54 -0400
      >
      >lancair.list Sat, 24 Apr 1999 Volume 1 : Number
      133