Re: [The JSA All-Star Story Site] Fear the Dark (Epilogue)

  • mcmaenza
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, MaxtheGnome@w...
      wrote:
      > Since this one is finished, I was wondering about adding it to the
      Completed
      > File. Who would be "responsible" for taking care of that?

      The usual rule on round-robins is that one of the authors needs to
      take responsibility to gather all the parts for all involved to post
      the full text file to the Completed File section.

      The bigger question is does someone want to become the archivist on
      this club now that Doc has given up those reigns? There are over 21
      stories waiting to be archived (dating back to October of 2002). I
      think it might really be a help to this club to get those stories in
      the archives (22 when you add "Fear the Dark", more if others are
      still outstanding).
    • MaxtheGnome@wmconnect.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        Collecting the parts is not a problem, since I have been doing that from the
        beginning. All I have to do is convert the story from Word document to text.

        As for the bigger question of who could take over the reigns as archivist, if
        I knew what I would be doing, I would volunteer. Unfortunately, I haven't got
        a clue. Sorry.

        Driv

      • mcmaenza
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
          wrote:
          > As for the bigger question of who could take over the reigns as
          archivist, if
          > I knew what I would be doing, I would volunteer. Unfortunately, I
          haven't got
          > a clue. Sorry.

          The archivist job is to take the text files posted on the Completed
          folder and convert them to HTML format. Most word processors have a
          SAVE AS option that includes saving the files to HTML format. That
          is the easy part. Next there is putting some standard HTML stuff
          onto the tops and bottoms for proper layout (font size, title stuff
          with centering, links back to the main page, etc.). A lot of that
          is just cutting and pasting the right stuff from a template file
          into the newly created HTML file.

          New entries have to be made into the main index pages to link to the
          new story files. That is where we also put the "teaser" text for
          the story.

          After it is all pretty looking, there is using FTP to put the
          updated story files and index files up to the web space that we have
          set up for the archives. That is a simple upload for the most part.
        • MaxtheGnome@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
            If I had only been born Greek, then I probably would have understood that .
            ;-)

            Actually, I've got a friend that might be able to give me some pointers. If,
            and this is a big IF, I can get a handle on it, I might give it a try. In the
            mean time, if someone else with a bit more experience wants the job, go for it.

            Driv

          • da Cat!
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
              --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, mcmaenza
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > The bigger question is does someone want to become the archivist
              > on this club now that Doc has given up those reigns? There are
              > over 21 stories waiting to be archived (dating back to October of
              > 2002). I think it might really be a help to this club to get
              > those stories in the archives (22 when you add "Fear the Dark",
              > more if others are still outstanding).

              Okay, okay, already! I'l take on the archivist duties for Earth 2.
              I've previously offered to do it for Earth S, but never got the
              materials (previous stories, etc) from Doc. But this time, if
              someone has the password for the archive site and e-mails it to me,
              I can start archiving the stories here.

              da 'Cat!
            • mcmaenza
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
                --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "da Cat!"
                <cjburke@h...> wrote:
                > Okay, okay, already! I'l take on the archivist duties for Earth
                2.
                > I've previously offered to do it for Earth S, but never got the
                > materials (previous stories, etc) from Doc. But this time, if
                > someone has the password for the archive site and e-mails it to
                me,
                > I can start archiving the stories here.

                'Cat, thanks. Starsky can get you the passwords.

                I can offer you some tips on how to do this stuff - I have a
                template file I keep that has all the header, trailer, etc. stuff in
                it. Drop me an email and I'll send it to you.

                I can also give you a hand with a couple of the tales if you want to
                help speed up the process.

                Martin