for Dan Swanson (and other new writers)

  • mcmaenza
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      Dan, your posted stories you put up last night were not added to the
      board for the following reasons:

      1) You included more than one story in the post. A post should
      either be individual chapters to a single story, or you can do the
      whole story in one post. We do not want folks putting more than one
      story in a single post, even when the stories are related.

      2) Writers are only allowed to post one story per week. This is per
      the FAQ (frequently asked questions) post that exists on all our 5
      Earths clubs. Here is the link to the FAQ message if you missed it.
      The FAQ explains the rationale behind this 'rule' as well as other
      important things for new writers. It explains the hows and whys of
      working on a shared continuity project such as the 5 Earths Project.

      3) A single writer cannot simply go and alter major characters (as
      you were trying to do in "The Cosmic Power Ring") without discussion
      with other writers and approval of the group founders. This is a
      cooperative effort project here, and what one writer writes does
      effects everyone else. Altering Green Lantern's weakness falls into
      this category. Discussion of plot ideas and such can be done over in
      our writers' group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/5earthswriters/

      4) We tend to try and not mix our concepts across worlds. "Green
      Eyed Lady" brought in an idea of the Emerald Eye on E-2 when that is
      clearly an E-1 (and 30th Century Legion of Super-Heroes concept).
      Similarly, in "Master of the Glow", you tried to bring into E-2 Abin
      Sur, John Stewart, and the idea of a galactic GL-like police force.
      The idea is to not make E-2 into "E-1 Light". Each world should
      maintain uniqueness wherever possible.

      Other E-2 moderators: I left Dan's post pending for you guys to
      review as well. I believe you all will agree with the points I
      outlined above regarding why it cannot be approved. There may be
      ways for Dan to salvage some of what he's written, with
      modifications, and be posted as separate tales here over the coming
      weeks. Someone more familiar with the E-2 mythos as we've continued
      it should work with him to fix the stories. That kind of falls out
      of my skill range as I am not up on all the E-2 history. Thanks.

      Martin
    • starsky_hutch76
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
        Sorry about that, Martin. I didn't see your prior post. Because of
        the header, "Just for Fun", I assumed he didn't mean for these to be
        considered in our continuity. Looking through the stories, I see how
        they could be with a few tweekings and I'd like to see these reposted
        (albeit seperately for easier reading).

        1) The change to Alan's Power Ring in "The Cosmic Power RIng" should
        not be permanent. His weakness is an important factor in the
        character.

        2) in "Master of the Glow", a different villain than Sinestro should
        be found. I'm a little leary of the use of Abin Sur, too. Perhaps the
        glove should be magical in nature, as well.

        The Emerald Eye apparing didn't bother me as much because it's
        origins have always been a mystery.
      • mcmaenza
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
          Thanks, Starsky. I figured it was just a Monday morning thing.

          Dan, if you want to discuss the stories in the writers' group as I
          suggested, we can offer advice there on how to further tweak them.
          Then you could post them again (one per calendar week) back here on
          the club.

          Thanks.

          Martin
        • libbylawrence
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
            Right, plus technically Sinestro appeared here already in a Corona
            story I did.
          • Dan Swanson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
              I didn't actually expect you to post it in the archives. It was just
              for fun.

              Dan
            • mcmaenza
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Swanson"
                <ddswanson@c...> wrote:
                > I didn't actually expect you to post it in the archives. It was
                just
                > for fun.

                Dan, I see. Perhaps the place you should have posted it then is our
                sister Elseworlds club (which doesn't get archived). Stories posted
                here are done so that ultimately they will get archived. Stories
                that don't fit or, as you did, just for fun will tend to confuse
                folks as they won't know if the story is 'official' or not. That is
                why we tend to just have writers post stories that will fit in our
                shared continuity.

                Why not tweak it to try to make it fit? You went to all that trouble
                crafting the stories - why not try to make them fit in?

                Martin
              • BLACKWOLF
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
                  --- mcmaenza <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Dan
                  > Swanson"
                  > <ddswanson@c...> wrote:
                  > > I didn't actually expect you to post it in the
                  > archives. It was
                  > just
                  > > for fun.
                  >
                  > Dan, I see. Perhaps the place you should have
                  > posted it then is our
                  > sister Elseworlds club (which doesn't get archived).
                  > Stories posted
                  > here are done so that ultimately they will get
                  > archived. Stories
                  > that don't fit or, as you did, just for fun will
                  > tend to confuse
                  > folks as they won't know if the story is 'official'
                  > or not. That is
                  > why we tend to just have writers post stories that
                  > will fit in our
                  > shared continuity.
                  >
                  > Why not tweak it to try to make it fit? You went to
                  > all that trouble
                  > crafting the stories - why not try to make them fit
                  > in?
                  >
                  > Martin

                  Shorter postings would be nice to, 126k! I don't have
                  time for alla that in one setting!

                  Wolf

                  =====
                  ^ ^
                  * *
                  (-)

                  Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                  http://companion.yahoo.com/
                • mcmaenza
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
                    --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, BLACKWOLF
                    <BLACKWOLF247@Y...> wrote:
                    > Shorter postings would be nice to, 126k! I don't have
                    > time for alla that in one setting!

                    Dan just put it up for fun - not for our continuity and not for our
                    archiving. Unfortunately, while the post could be deleted here,
                    anyone who gets them via email or via the daily digest got a very
                    large update yesterday. That is another reason we recommend breaking
                    stories up into smaller posts over a week's time - to cut down on the
                    traffic a bit and insure folks end up reading it after all.