A fun challenge

  • keller440
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2003
      Zoo Crew on Earth-C has been doing the same thing.
      So,I don't know why this group shouldn't be doing it as well.
      We should each do an Easter story starring each of--or all of--the
      members of the JSA.
      Just a suggestion,of course.
      --Andrew Troy Keller
    • mcmaenza
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2003
        I'm all for holiday themed tales (I've done more than my fair share
        over on E-1). The problem I have with this is if we do individual
        tales with each member of the JSA around Easter, it gets kind of
        clunky and each one loses a bit of its charm. A couple would make
        sense (five or under, say). Otherwise, it gets too gimmicky.

        An interesting character note: how many of the heroes are actually
        celebrating the holiday from its religious meaning as opposed to,
        say, those who only go in for the commercial side? A story of
        contrasting views could prove interesting. An even from a religious
        end, not all faiths celebrate it the same way.

        Just offering that last bit up to add some variety to the mix.
      • starsky_hutch76
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2003
          I'm gonna say something that might make folks want to smack me... but
          something like this might be good as a round robin. maybe keller's piece
          could be the first part. So it wouldn't go the way of others here, Easter could
          be the cut-off point.
        • da Cat!
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2003
            --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, starsky_hutch76
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I'm gonna say something that might make folks want to smack me...
            > but something like this might be good as a round robin. maybe
            > keller's piece could be the first part. So it wouldn't go the way
            > of others here, Easter could be the cut-off point.

            So this would have to take place around sometime between 1978 and
            19853, right? Since that's about when when the Huntress first
            appeared, and it wouldn't fit in our post-Crisis timeframe.

            Do we need to declare the characters we want to write?

            da 'Cat!
          • keller440
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2003
              --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "da Cat!"
              <cjburke@t...> wrote:
              > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, starsky_hutch76
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > I'm gonna say something that might make folks want to smack me...
              > > but something like this might be good as a round robin. maybe
              > > keller's piece could be the first part. So it wouldn't go the
              way
              > > of others here, Easter could be the cut-off point.
              >
              > So this would have to take place around sometime between 1978 and
              > 19853, right? Since that's about when when the Huntress first
              > appeared, and it wouldn't fit in our post-Crisis timeframe.
              Sometime in-between 1978 and 1985,that's right.

              > Do we need to declare the characters we want to write?
              Like I've said,any or all of the members of the JSA.
              --Andrew Troy Keller
            • starsky_hutch76
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2003
                > > Do we need to declare the characters we want to write?
                > Like I've said,any or all of the members of the JSA.
                > --Andrew Troy Keller

                I'd go beyond that and make it any E-2 character at any time. I was thinking of
                doing something in our "present" with the kent Family.
              • da Cat!
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2003
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > I'd go beyond that and make it any E-2 character at any time. I
                  > was thinking of doing something in our "present" with the kent
                  > Family.

                  One more question, and I'll leave it be - can we do more than one?

                  da 'Cat!
                  (who has already started a Sandman chapter)
                • starsky_hutch76
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2003
                    <cjburke@t...> wrote:
                    > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, starsky_hutch76
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'd go beyond that and make it any E-2 character at any time. I
                    > > was thinking of doing something in our "present" with the kent
                    > > Family.
                    >
                    > One more question, and I'll leave it be - can we do more than one?
                    >
                    > da 'Cat!
                    > (who has already started a Sandman chapter)

                    Sure. As long as everything's done by Easter.
                  • Brian Asbury
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4, 2003
                      Wouldn't the best idea here be to say: do it as single chapters only
                      (or at least post only stories in instalments when you've got the
                      whole thing complete and ready to post up). That way, it wouldn't be
                      yet another never-ending project hanging around on this site forever!

                      BKA

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4, 2003
                        --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Asbury" <
                        bkasbury@h...> wrote:
                        > Wouldn't the best idea here be to say: do it as single chapters only
                        > (or at least post only stories in instalments when you've got the
                        > whole thing complete and ready to post up). That way, it wouldn't be
                        > yet another never-ending project hanging around on this site forever!
                        >
                        > BKA

                        That eliminates the ability for the chapters to play off of each other, though. it
                        makes sense to say Easter is the cut off date, too. (or the day after Easter),
                        because it doesn't make sense to have Easter stories going on after the
                        holiday.
                      • ladyobie33
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2003
                          This is a nice idea :).

                          I'll think it over & see if I want to declare a character.

                          Perhaps I'll cover the Jewish perspective of the holiday season
                          (Passover occurs a couple days before Easter).

                          I know Al is Jewish. Do you guys know if any of the other characters
                          you're handling here are too?

                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Asbury" <
                          > bkasbury@h...> wrote:
                          > > Wouldn't the best idea here be to say: do it as single chapters
                          only
                          > > (or at least post only stories in instalments when you've got the
                          > > whole thing complete and ready to post up). That way, it wouldn't
                          be
                          > > yet another never-ending project hanging around on this site
                          forever!

                          > > BKA
                          >
                          > That eliminates the ability for the chapters to play off of each
                          other, though. it
                          > makes sense to say Easter is the cut off date, too. (or the day
                          after Easter),
                          > because it doesn't make sense to have Easter stories going on after
                          the
                          > holiday.
                        • Doc Quantum
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2003
                            --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, ladyobie33
                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > This is a nice idea :).
                            >
                            > I'll think it over & see if I want to declare a character.
                            >
                            > Perhaps I'll cover the Jewish perspective of the holiday season
                            > (Passover occurs a couple days before Easter).
                            >
                            > I know Al is Jewish. Do you guys know if any of the other
                            characters
                            > you're handling here are too?

                            Not sure about Earth-2 characters, but Captain Marvel Junior of Earth-
                            S is Jewish. Doesn't help here, I know, but that's all I can think
                            of. Though since this is "pre-Crisis" a mini Earth-2/Earth-S
                            crossover's not out of the question, I suppose....

                            Doc
                          • starsky_hutch76
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 4, 2003
                              > Not sure about Earth-2 characters, but Captain Marvel Junior of Earth-
                              > S is Jewish. Doesn't help here, I know, but that's all I can think
                              > of. Though since this is "pre-Crisis" a mini Earth-2/Earth-S
                              > crossover's not out of the question, I suppose....
                              >
                              > Doc

                              I was thinking this could jump around. make it a sort of "Easter Memories"
                              story.