When sidekicks Unite -finally the continuation!

  • BLACKWOLF
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2003
      WHAT HAS PREVIOUSLY TRANSPIRED-

      Wesley Dodds and his Ward Sandy went to Wayne Manor in the summer
      of 1943 to visit with Bruce Wayne and Dick Garyson Wayne was also
      expecting Olliver Queen and his ward Roy Harper.
      Dick and Sandy were enroute to Gotham City when they spotted the
      car of Olliver Queen and found an injured Roy Harper and experienced
      a strange purple mist complete with a Confederate Officer warning
      them of danger.
      Shortly thereafter the three boys were captured by the minions of a
      costumed villian calling himself the Rag although civillians the
      badguys were using Army issue weapons and trucks, Subsequently the
      boys turned the tables on some of thier captors meanwhile Alfred
      found the injured Olliver Queen and the two of them are heading back
      to Wayne Manor-

      Our story continues -
      The three boys headed for the army truck they had been brought to
      this remote location in and as they approached it Sandy yelled "I'm
      driving!" and climbed into the drivers side. Roy and Dick climbed in
      on the other side. Looking around Roy picked up a comicbook "Groovy
      Captain Marvel! hey what kind of name is Pinky for a boy sidekick?"
      Dick looked at Sandy and said "Poor kid's so behind the times."
      "Indeed old sport." the tall blonde youth said. "What?" asked the
      red haired youth. Dick brushed some of his black hair out of his
      eyes.
      "No one says groovy anymore kid"
      Sandy snorted "Star City must not have radios even the comedians
      aren't using it anymore."
      The three youths looked around making sure it was okay to pull out
      and Dick indicated which direction they should drive thier plan was
      being closer to Gotham City then Wayne Manor they would drive into
      the city alert the authorities as to the location of the captured
      baddies and call Bruce "Maybe we should bring them with us?"
      Sandy asked "No they'll be okay here." Dick responded.

      At Wayne Manor Bruce and Wes listened to Olliver as Alfred treated
      his wounds.
      "Think we should suit up and go looking for the boys?" Wes asked
      Bruce
      "No not yet but taking a drive in our civvies would be okay. Alfred
      that purple mist storey sounds familier didn't you tell me once
      about seeing something like that?"
      "Yes sir in France during the last war. always was a mystery to me
      Mawster Bruce."

      Meanwhile where Dick had left his car two offduty G.I.s were
      walking "Hey Willie look this car's got its keys in it and a full
      tank of gas wonder where its driver is?"
      "Don't know Joe, maybe we had better take it into town and turn it
      over to the police. Sides that'll get us back to base a whole lot
      quicker."
      They climbed in and drove towards town.

      The Rag as he called himself because of the ragged costume he wore
      was in the meantime driving to meet his cronies when he spotted his
      other truck heading towards him He slammed on the breaks and lept
      out pulling his machine gun with him.
      The three boys also stopped and jumped out.
      "How? You three are more problems then your worth!"
      He raised his weapon but before he could unlock the safty all three
      of them were on him like mustard on a hotdog and he was quickly
      subdued. Roy pulled his mask off "James Thatcher!" he exclaimed.
      "Who?" Dick and Sandy asked the smaller youth.
      "Olliver's representitive to the army he's in charge of weapons
      sales. Which explains why the pistols we found were from Queen
      Manufacturing."
      "Stupid kids! I had to pick three athletes to kidnap!" snarled
      Thatcher a balding skeleton thin man "The ransom woulda been my
      ticket out of this stupid war!"
      Dick laughed and said "Well so would have been doing your job,
      brought the axis down that much sooner!"
      "You tell him old son.!" Sandy said slapping the slightly shorter
      Grayson on the back.

      Later at stately Wayne Manor three reunited sets of adult/youth
      combos were relaxing after a fine dinner Alfred had fixed for them.

      "The state boys rounded up Thatchers men and the Gotham boys in blue
      have your car Dick. Couple of soldiers turned it in so alls well
      that ends well." Bruce said.

      "What about the mist and the confederate officer?" Roy asked.
      Olliver shook his head "That is indeed an odd mystery, but not one
      we'er going to solve tonight."
      "Indeed" Wes said "I plan to ask the society members to see if they
      have any info on it, but we may just have to file this mystery under
      unsolved."
      Bruce nodded "Wouldn't be the first one."

      END

      [PREVIEW in two weeks give or take a day an all new SIDEKICKS
      adventure involving the purple mist!]
    • da Cat!
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2003
        --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "BLACKWOLF"
        <BLACKWOLF247@Y...> wrote:
        > on the other side. Looking around Roy picked up a comicbook
        > "Groovy Captain Marvel! hey what kind of name is Pinky for a boy
        > sidekick?"
        > Dick looked at Sandy and said "Poor kid's so behind the times."
        > "Indeed old sport." the tall blonde youth said. "What?" asked the
        > red haired youth. Dick brushed some of his black hair out of his
        > eyes.
        > "No one says groovy anymore kid"
        > Sandy snorted "Star City must not have radios even the comedians
        > aren't using it anymore."

        Did I miss something here? I didn't think "groovy" made it into the
        language until the 60's.

        da 'Cat!
      • mcmaenza
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2003
          --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "da Cat!"
          <cjburke@t...> wrote:
          > Did I miss something here? I didn't think "groovy" made it into
          the
          > language until the 60's.

          I don't have my American Slang Dictionary handy, but I believe you
          might be right, 'Cat. Since this is the 40's, slang more appropriate
          for that time might be called for.

          Martin
        • da Cat!
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2003
            --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, mcmaenza
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "da Cat!"
            > <cjburke@t...> wrote:
            > > Did I miss something here? I didn't think "groovy" made it into
            > > the language until the 60's.
            > >

            > I don't have my American Slang Dictionary handy, but I believe you
            > might be right, 'Cat. Since this is the 40's, slang more
            > appropriate for that time might be called for.

            Do you actually have such a thing? I'd love that for some of my
            other writing!

            da 'Cat!
          • mcmaenza
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2003
              <cjburke@t...> wrote:
              > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, mcmaenza
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > I don't have my American Slang Dictionary handy, but I believe
              you
              > > might be right, 'Cat. Since this is the 40's, slang more
              > > appropriate for that time might be called for.
              > >
              > Do you actually have such a thing? I'd love that for some of my
              > other writing!

              'Cat, indeed I do! I bought one at a book store about three years
              ago. Also have a book on names - what they mean, surnames from
              certain countries, etc. All part of my writing book library that I
              have for reference. A number of years back I did a lot of reading
              from library books about writing too (as far back as high school I
              had pondered being a writer for my career - my mother convinced me
              that I should have a solid job to fall back on and do writing as a
              hobby).

              Martin
            • BLACKWOLF
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2003
                Nope I heard it in a couple of movies from that time
                frame and been carrying it in my h3ad its a jazz term
                which meant back then basically the same thing it
                meant in the 60s.
                Believe me I was doing my background checks.
                Not sure exactly who started it nor how it got
                revived in the 60's but it was groovy-inthe groove
                feeling the flow the beat of the music.
                And like so much else it made its way from the
                'colored' nightclubs to the general[white] population.

                --- mcmaenza <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "da
                > Cat!"
                > <cjburke@t...> wrote:
                > > Did I miss something here? I didn't think
                > "groovy" made it into
                > the
                > > language until the 60's.
                > >

                > I don't have my American Slang Dictionary handy, but
                > I believe you
                > might be right, 'Cat. Since this is the 40's, slang
                > more appropriate
                > for that time might be called for.
                >
                > Martin
                >

                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to