Re: [The JSA All-Star Story Site] Gotham City Stories pt3

  • Jim Morrison
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
      --- da Cat! <cjburke@...> wrote:
      > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., Jim Morrison
      > <thatjimguy_2000@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > By the way, when did Quebec independance take
      > place on
      > > Earth-2? Also, what was there about Earth 2 for
      > this
      > > diversion to take place?
      > >
      > It was established in the 1970's revival of All-Star
      > Comics that
      > Quebec was a separate nation. This was at a time
      > when there was a
      > great deal of talk in the real world of Quebec
      > splitting off. No
      > explanation of the separation was ever given, that I
      > know of.
      >
      > This, and the earlier abolishment of apartheid in
      > South Africa were
      > attempts by the writers of the time (primarily Gerry
      > Conway in this
      > case) to clearly show differences between Earth 2
      > and both EArth 1
      > and Earth Prime. Both of these differences were
      > based on "hot
      > topics" of the time.
      >

      > da 'Cat!

      I read those issues but must have missed that. So was
      there any indication as to if this was a referendum
      change or if Quebec had never been part of the Earth2
      Canada?

      Jim

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • Doc Quantum
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
        <thatjimguy_2000@y...> wrote:

        > I read those issues but must have missed that. So was
        > there any indication as to if this was a referendum
        > change or if Quebec had never been part of the Earth2
        > Canada?
        >
        > Jim

        Nah. Quebec was just separate with no explanation (or understanding
        of the complexities involved in an independent Quebec). Remember that
        this was written by an American.

        Doc
      • george vincent
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2002
          --- Doc Quantum <the_time_trust_2000@...> wrote:
          > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., Jim Morrison
          > <thatjimguy_2000@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > I read those issues but must have missed that. So
          > was
          > > there any indication as to if this was a
          > referendum
          > > change or if Quebec had never been part of the
          > Earth2
          > > Canada?
          > >
          > > Jim
          > >

          > Nah. Quebec was just separate with no explanation
          > (or understanding
          > of the complexities involved in an independent
          > Quebec). Remember that
          > this was written by an American.
          >
          > Doc

          I think to ,the mention of an independent Quebec,was
          a way of showing differences between the two earths.
          The complexities involved with s seperate Quebec on
          our world may not have been a problem on EII just
          speculating but suppossing Quebec had become an
          independent nation in say 1866?

          Wolf

          [thinking a good backstory could be written here]

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
            --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., george vincent
            <blackwolf247@y...> wrote:

            > --- Doc Quantum <the_time_trust_2000@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., Jim Morrison
            > > <thatjimguy_2000@y...> wrote:
            > > > >
            > > > I read those issues but must have missed that. So
            > > was
            > > > there any indication as to if this was a
            > > referendum
            > > > change or if Quebec had never been part of the
            > > Earth2
            > > > Canada?
            > > >
            > > > Jim
            > > >

            > > Nah. Quebec was just separate with no explanation
            > > (or understanding
            > > of the complexities involved in an independent
            > > Quebec). Remember that
            > > this was written by an American.
            > >
            > > Doc
            >
            > I think to ,the mention of an independent Quebec,was
            > a way of showing differences between the two earths.
            > The complexities involved with s seperate Quebec on
            > our world may not have been a problem on EII just
            > speculating but suppossing Quebec had become an
            > independent nation in say 1866?
            >
            > Wolf
            >
            > [thinking a good backstory could be written here]

            Please, let's not retcon Earth-2's history, which was fairly in-line
            with our own until sometime around the '60s or so, except of course
            for the metahumans and all. We've got three real alternate timelines
            already in Earth-X (Nazi Earth), Earth-3 (Good is Bad) and Earth-4
            (Cold War Forever). Earth-2 has some SLIGHT differences only in that
            things that might've happened in the real world some years later
            happened earlier on Earth-2. They were right about Apartheid tumbling
            in South Africa but wrong about Quebec becoming its own country...
            yet. I think a backstory like this would be much better saved for the
            Elseworlds site.

            Doc
          • george vincent
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2002
              > Please, let's not retcon Earth-2's history, which
              > was fairly in-line
              > with our own until sometime around the '60s or so,
              > except of course
              > for the metahumans and all. We've got three real
              > alternate timelines
              > already in Earth-X (Nazi Earth), Earth-3 (Good is
              > Bad) and Earth-4
              > (Cold War Forever). Earth-2 has some SLIGHT
              > differences only in that
              > things that might've happened in the real world some
              > years later
              > happened earlier on Earth-2. They were right about
              > Apartheid tumbling
              > in South Africa but wrong about Quebec becoming its
              > own country...
              > yet. I think a backstory like this would be much
              > better saved for the
              > Elseworlds site.
              >
              > Doc

              Okay I was thinking that maybe about the time Canada
              became independent of England [sort of] Quebec was
              also granted independence. So maybe it happened
              during Canada's centennial?

              Wolf inquiringly

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
                --- george vincent <blackwolf247@...> wrote:

                > Okay I was thinking that maybe about the time
                > Canada
                > became independent of England [sort of] Quebec was
                > also granted independence. So maybe it happened
                > during Canada's centennial?
                >
                > Wolf inquiringly

                First off, Canada's "independance was not during the
                centennial" which was in 1967. The other thing is,
                the issue is Quebec's independance from Canada. There
                has to be a good reason why England would have made
                them 2 countries instead of one. Ideas any one?

                Jim

                http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
              • george vincent
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
                  --- Jim Morrison <thatjimguy_2000@...> wrote:
                  > --- george vincent <blackwolf247@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Okay I was thinking that maybe about the time
                  > > Canada
                  > > became independent of England [sort of] Quebec was
                  > > also granted independence. So maybe it happened
                  > > during Canada's centennial?

                  > First off, Canada's "independance was not during the
                  > centennial" which was in 1967. The other thing is,
                  > the issue is Quebec's independance from Canada.
                  > There
                  > has to be a good reason why England would have made
                  > them 2 countries instead of one. Ideas any one?
                  >
                  > Jim

                  Okay I was thinking about the Canadian centenniel
                  which I remember watching on tv and thinking that
                  maybe Quebec became independent at the same time
                  Canada did but without the commonwealth ties to
                  England.Possibly because the Quebec people were much
                  more militant and hostile.

                  http://launch.yahoo.com/u2