Re: Crimson Avenger - Promises To Keep (pt 2)

  • immortalwildcat
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1 6:55 AM
      --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., starsky_hutch76 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > I'm really enjoying this. There's just one point of issue. While
      > in the Nebula Man's realm, he underwent physical changes because
      > the Nebula Man molded him to what he thought a Super hero should
      > look like for their games. So now, he's a good deal bigger than he
      > was before his dissappearance.

      Okay, so before I send the file for archiving, I'll change the line
      in the first chapter from "short, slender" to "tall, muscular".

      da 'Cat!
    • starsky_hutch76
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1 8:35 AM
        --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., immortalwildcat <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., starsky_hutch76 <no_reply@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I'm really enjoying this. There's just one point of issue. While
        > > in the Nebula Man's realm, he underwent physical changes because
        > > the Nebula Man molded him to what he thought a Super hero should
        > > look like for their games. So now, he's a good deal bigger than
        he
        > > was before his dissappearance.
        >
        > Okay, so before I send the file for archiving, I'll change the line
        > in the first chapter from "short, slender" to "tall, muscular".
        >
        > da 'Cat!

        Cool, THe bit with the cigarettes was a nice touch! I could just
        imagine him thinking, "But the doctor in the magazine ad in Life
        Magazine said they were good for me!"
      • libbylawrence
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1 10:47 AM
          I wonder what he'd think regarding racism and the decades since his
          disappearance? Some improvement? Not enough?
        • starsky_hutch76
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1 11:48 AM
            --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., libbylawrence <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:

            > I wonder what he'd think regarding racism and the decades since his
            > disappearance? Some improvement? Not enough?

            I wonder. It seems like it would be drastically different. Especially
            considering some of the things that happened in his time.

            Rqacism is a different issue for people of Asian descent, though. If
            someone marries a person of Asian descent, people barely acknowledge
            the fact that it's an interracial marriage. My brother married a girl
            from Beijing and people didn't even flinch. I have a feeling that a
            few eyebrows might've been raised if she'd been from Kenya.
          • immortalwildcat
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1 12:33 PM
              wrote:
              > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@y..., libbylawrence <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I wonder what he'd think regarding racism and the decades since
              > > his disappearance? Some improvement? Not enough?
              >
              > I wonder. It seems like it would be drastically different.
              > Especially considering some of the things that happened in his
              > time.

              Such as? The Japanese conquest of Korea and attempted conquest of
              China? The cementing of Communist rule in China? The internment of
              Asians (regardless of their nationality) in the USA?

              > Racism is a different issue for people of Asian descent, though.
              > If someone marries a person of Asian descent, people barely
              > acknowledge the fact that it's an interracial marriage. My brother
              > married a girl from Beijing and people didn't even flinch. I have
              > a feeling that a few eyebrows might've been raised if she'd been
              > from Kenya.

              I think this has to do with the perceived assimilation of ASians
              into the mainstream US culture. Asian immigrants still come to the
              US, I think, with the attitude that "we are in the United States, we
              will do things as a US citizen does them." Other minorities seem to
              have shifted toward a "I am of xxx descent, I must preserve my xxx
              heritage and culture within the US culture" viewpoint.

              Wing had already spent roughly 10 years in the United States before
              his apparent death, and had probably become a naturalized citizen.
              He worked for and with a man who was portrayed as a social crusader,
              so he would have long been aware of both the best and the worst of
              American culture. As such, he would note the improvements that have
              been made, and would feel hurt at some of the areas where we've not
              improved or even gotten worse.

              I've actually touched on this, though very lightly, in a chapter
              that I've finished but not yet posted.

              da 'Cat!
            • immortalwildcat
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 2 10:12 AM
                Wing How and Linda Travis sat on a balcony, looking out over the
                Manhatten skyline.

                "You always did like sitting out at night, didn't you?" he asked.

                "It's the only time that this city seems peaceful. You can look out
                there and almost imagine that we're living up to the promise of a
                free society."

                "From what I've been hearing, we aren't quite there yet, are we?"
                Wing sighed as he looked out toward the river. "Lee never stopped
                believing that we could do better."

                "I know. He and Dad were two of a kind. Remember, you taught me to
                read with Uncle Lee's editorials." Linda leaned her head back, eyes
                closed, a smile on her face.

                "Well, I figured that if I was going to be teaching you, I should
                try teaching you more than just reading. That's how Lee taught me to
                read." Wing chuckled. "At least I had a pupil who understood
                English."

                "Awww, Wing, I still remember those nights I spent at Uncle Lee's
                penthouse. He was supposed to be babysitting me, but it was always
                you that looked after me." Linda picked up a wineglass and took a
                sip. "Of course, it wasn't until many years later that I found out
                why he was gone most nights. And then you even joined in on the
                crimefighting,eh?"

                "Yes, though I didn't start until the fall of '42. Poor Lee. He
                tried his best to keep me out of danger, but it didn't work out that
                way."

                "Oh? How did that all come about?"

                Wing leaned back in his chair and stretched his arms out in front of
                him. "Well, it all started when Lee was sent to jail."
              • immortalwildcat
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 2 10:14 AM
                  September, 1942
                  It all started with one of Lee's editorials. In it, he accused Joey
                  Scarapelli of running a smuggling operation through his plumbing
                  warehouse down on the East River. Scarapelli was a respected
                  businessman, a backer of politicians and the first man to donate to
                  any charitable cause on the East Side. The paper hit the street at
                  five in the morning, and by noon the district attorney had a team of
                  investigators hauling files out of Scarapelli's home, office,
                  warehouse and his cabin in the Adirondacks. What was more surprising
                  was that, by four in the afternoon, Lee Travis was standing before
                  Judge Horace Cramer.

                  "Mr. Travis, the charges levied by your paper against Joseph
                  Scarapelli are most serious. Not only do you accuse him of
                  smuggling, but you infer that he is doing so with the intention of
                  aiding European spies within the United States. The Police
                  Commissioner himself has come down here to obtain further warrants
                  to search properties owned by Mr. Scarapelli's business associates.
                  Now, Judge Boorman may have seen fit to issue warrants this morning
                  based on the strength of your claims, but I require more evidence."
                  The judge scowled at Lee from his seat at the bench. "Where did you
                  get the information for your editorial?"

                  "I'm sorry, Your Honor, but I cannot answer that question. My
                  information comes from a source within Joey Scarapelli's
                  organization, and if I were to reveal his name his life would be in
                  jeopardy."

                  "Your Honor, please! If Scarapelli is involved in such actions as
                  the Globe-Leader has accused, then surely any of the people involved
                  are not worthy of such protection!" Lee and the judge, as well as
                  everyone else in the courtroom, turned to face the District
                  Attorney. "If one of these scumbags is killed, that's just one less
                  body to take up space in the state pen!"

                  "Mr. Travis, I must agree with District Attorney Shapiro. I offer
                  you a choice: either reveal the name of your informant, or I will
                  have you taken to the City Jail until such time as you are willing
                  to cooperate."

                  "Your Honor, I can not place my own convenience before the safety of
                  my source." Lee turned toward the bailiff and extended his
                  wrists. "I choose jail."

                  As cameras clicked and flashbulbs burst in flashes of light, the
                  courtroom went wild with questions. I tried to get close to Lee, but
                  I could not get through the press of reporters and police. By the
                  time I got near the front of the courtroom, they had led him out. I
                  fought my way back through the crowd to the exit, and sprinted
                  around the building. The court house sat back-to-back with the
                  police station, and I slipped through an alley, vaulted a fence, and
                  jogged around to the front. When I went inside, I found the desk
                  seargeant and told him that I was there to see Lee Travis. He
                  arranged for me to meet with him in one of their interrogation rooms.
                • libbylawrence
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 2 2:12 PM
                    Very nice. I like this a lot. One of the things I like the most about
                    this club is the opportunity to see much more of heroes like the
                    Crimson Avenger than we ever saw in the comics.
                  • immortalwildcat
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 2 7:10 PM
                      It took about a half hour before they brought him in there. He told
                      me that he had gone through the whole fingerprinting, photographing
                      and paperwork routine while I was waiting. I got right to the point.

                      "What do you need me to do, boss?"

                      "Wing," he said, "I appreciate it, but there's not a whole lot you
                      can do. My source, he's really worried about his name being revealed.
                      It's not just Scarapelli that he's worried about. He told me that
                      there's this new boss among the gangs. The call him the Hammer, and
                      he's coming down real hard on any body that talks to the cops."

                      "Any idea who this Hammer guy is, Lee?"

                      "No, but even that doesn't worry me as much as the judge's insistence
                      on knowing my source. No other judge in the city has ever worried
                      about that before." Lee leaned back in his chair, looking at the
                      ceiling. "I wonder why that is?"

                      "This may sound dumb, but what if he's connected to the Hammer?" I
                      snapped my fingers. "Wait a second, boss! The Hammer! The judge with
                      gavel! You don't suppose...?"

                      "It sounds crazy, Wing, but this city has seen crazier things." Lee
                      sat back up. "As soon as my lawyer gets me out of here, I'll start
                      looking into it. You better get going, he's due here any minute."

                      "Okay, boss. I'll stop by in the morning." I left, but I was already
                      forming an idea. Why wait until Lee Travis was released for the
                      Crimson Avenger to start checking the local gathering places of the
                      crooks?"
                    • immortalwildcat
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 2 7:13 PM
                        I rushed back to the penthouse. I opened the secret door in his
                        closet, revealing the sub-closet where he kept his uniforms. I pulled
                        one out and tried it on. There, in front of his full-length mirror, I
                        started laughing.

                        Lee Travis was an even six feet tall, with broad shoulders. At the
                        time, I was only five-foot, five inches, and I was really thin. Lee's
                        costume hung on my like elephant skin on a crane. I went to put it
                        back in its place when I spotted something.

                        Folded on a shelf, was a costume similar to that of the Crimson
                        Avenger. Like his, it had the cowl with the fin on top and the domino
                        mask. It had a sunburst on the chest, and a belt for the smoke
                        capsules. But it was like a negative image of the Avenger's costume –
                        yellow where his was red, red where his was gold. I took it out, and
                        found that it was made to my size. Apparently, Lee had already
                        considered that I might follow in his footsteps. I donned the
                        costume, and slipped out of the building and into the night-time
                        streets of New York.

                        Now, I had not done more than drive the Avenger to general spots
                        around town, but he had told me enough of his adventures that I knew
                        some of his usual places for gathering information. The first was a
                        waterfront bar called The Wolf's Den.

                        It was not a very noisy place. Most of the men in there weren't
                        trying to be noticed, they were there to avoid notice. Still, when I
                        walked in, it got even quieter.

                        "Who da hell are you, punk?" asked a man sitting by the door. He
                        stood up and glared down at me."

                        "I'm a friend of the Crimson Avenger's! You can call me, ahh, the
                        Yellow Kid!" I heard a few laughs around the room at that. Like me,
                        at least some of them knew that the Yellow Kid was a comic strip from
                        the newspapers many years earlier. "I'm looking for information about
                        Joey Scarapelli!"

                        All around the room, I heard the sound of chairs being pushed back
                        and I saw men rising to their feet. Men like that don't like it very
                        much when someone is out to get one of their own. So I decided to
                        play it Lee's way. "Look, you know the Globe-Leader doesn't like the
                        Avenger, and they're trying to take down Scarapelli. Connect me with
                        one of his people, and we can make the paper and their boy Travis
                        look bad."

                        "Way I hear it, the Avenger is one o' them masked do-gooders. Who'se
                        to say, we lead you to one of Scarapelli's boys, what keeps you from
                        turning him over to the cops?" This guy was small, hunched over a
                        table with a bottle of cheap booze and red-rimmed eyes.

                        "The cops don't talk to us, and we don't talk to them!" I replied.

                        "Scrap's going down," said a quiet voice. "He ain't playing ball. If
                        the cops don't take him down, he's gonna get hammered." I located the
                        one who was talking. He was tall, thin, with a long nose and narrow-
                        set eyes. He was standing by himself by the bar. I slipped through
                        the crowd and joined him.

                        "You one of Scarapelli's boys, or one of the Hammer's?" I asked as I
                        waved the bartender over.

                        "Used to be onna Scrap's drivers. I seen the writing on the wall,
                        though. This guy, the Hammer, he's got the goods on mosta the bosses
                        in town. Probably got the goods on your buddy, the Avenger, too."

                        "Can you get me to him?"

                        "He's got a meet set up for tonight, midnight, at the Lamb Theater."

                        It was already after ten o'clock. I didn't have much time. "What do
                        you want out of this?"

                        "A ticket out of New York would be nice. Got a brother in South
                        Dakota, maybe go see him." I reached into my belt, and sure enough,
                        there were some of the cards that the Avenger carried.

                        "Call this number tomorrow, before noon. If nobody answers, try again
                        the next. Day. Keep trying until you reach someone, and mention the
                        name of this place. You'll be taken care of."

                        "Yeah, sure." He sounded doubtful, but he still kept the card. I
                        spotted a side door and left.
                      • doctorquantum
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 4 10:57 PM
                          wrote:
                          > In Speedy's case, I don't think he appeared at all between JLA#102
                          > and Crisis on Infinite Earths. By the time of Crisis, the Seven
                          > Soldiers would have been back in our time for nearly 10 years,
                          would
                          > they not? So one must assume that Roy has dealt with those issues
                          by
                          > the time we see him here. Could make for a Times Past tale, showing
                          > all of the Seven Soldiers in the week or so after their rescue.

                          Speedy did make that one appearance at the private memorial service
                          for Lee Travis in 1981 along with the other remaining Seven Soldiers
                          (minus Stripesy) -- as seen in the flashback story in INFINITY INC
                          #12, but I don't think he even spoke. I think it's only here, at this
                          club, where the character has finally been done some justice.

                          I agree, though, someone should write a kind of "human interest"
                          story for the Seven Soldiers. Perhaps it goes something like this:

                          It's 1972, and the Seven Soldiers of Victory have just been brought
                          back to the present by the JSA and the visiting JLA of Earth-1 from
                          the times they were displaced to back in 1948. They say farewell to
                          each other and promise to keep in touch, each going their separate
                          ways (except perhaps for Oliver Queen and Roy Harper, who were like
                          big brother & little brother, if not quite like father and son).

                          As I said, it's now 1972, and America -- and indeed the world -- has
                          undergone more than one "cultural revolution" since their time. Young
                          men are sporting long hairdos, and even the older men all seem to
                          have sideburns! The women are dressed much less modestly than in
                          their day, and the popular music all seems to be this "rock and roll"
                          stuff rather than the jazz/big band music of the 1940s. In short,
                          it's pretty jarring.

                          Each of the Soldiers attempts to find his way in the world in this
                          new era. A few of them attempt to get back into the business world
                          (Oliver Queen, Lee Travis). Some try to look up old friends (Roy
                          Harper) and some make new ones (Sylvester Pemberton). Some are lost
                          in the past (Sir Justin), while others are more than willing to put
                          the past behind them and move on (Pat Dugan, Greg Sanders).

                          After one week, the group meets once more for coffee in their
                          civilian clothes. It is the LAST time the entire group meets until
                          nine years in the future when Lee Travis dies.

                          I can see this story being very "cinematic" in scope, and I think a
                          writer who can really write character well, and who understands each
                          character well, should write this one. I'd try it myself, but I have
                          other stories I need to complete here first. If nobody's taken a
                          crack at it by the time I've finished up my other stuff, I may try
                          writing it then. If so, I'll let everyone know first.

                          Doc
                        • libbylawrence
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 5 8:54 AM
                            If you do it, you might want to read the Last Bullseye which detailed
                            what Oliver and Roy did on their return and the end of OLiver MOrgan
                            as GA.

                            > Doc
                          • doctorquantum
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 6 7:20 AM
                              If I do it, I'll definitely read that story as part of my research.
                              If someone else wants to do it, though, before I have a chance to get
                              around to it, I'll step aside.

                              Doc

                              wrote:
                              > If you do it, you might want to read the Last Bullseye which
                              detailed
                              > what Oliver and Roy did on their return and the end of OLiver
                              MOrgan
                              > as GA.
                              >

                              > > Doc
                            • mcmaenza
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 6 9:16 AM
                                Doc,

                                I agree with your earlier sentiment that this needs to be done by a
                                writer with a very strong sense of characterization. Its an
                                important tale with seven fairly distinct personalities. Each is
                                going to have a different spin of this whole "time passed me by" bit.

                                Martin
                              • Jim Morrison
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 6 12:30 PM
                                  --- doctorquantum <the_time_trust_2000@...>
                                  wrote:
> [...]
                                  > in the past (Sir Justin), while others are more than
                                  > willing to put
                                  > the past behind them and move on (Pat Dugan, Greg
                                  > Sanders).
                                  >
                                  > After one week, the group meets once more for coffee
                                  > in their
                                  > civilian clothes. It is the LAST time the entire
                                  > group meets until
                                  > nine years in the future when Lee Travis dies.
                                  >
                                  > I can see this story being very "cinematic" in
                                  > scope, and I think a
                                  > writer who can really write character well, and who
                                  > understands each
                                  > character well, should write this one. I'd try it
                                  > myself, but I have
                                  > other stories I need to complete here first. If
                                  > nobody's taken a
                                  > crack at it by the time I've finished up my other
                                  > stuff, I may try
                                  > writing it then. If so, I'll let everyone know

                                  Ironically, this reminds me of the plot to the first
                                  Gilligan's Island reunion movie ( Rescue from or
                                  Escape from or whatever the actual title was ). After
                                  the castaways return to the world, they go their
                                  separate ways and tried to cope with the changes in
                                  the world. They later got together for a reunion
                                  cruise on the Minnow II.

                                  I think this is a good idea for the soldiers as the
                                  earliest superhero comic series I remember is JLA
                                  100-102 where they were returned to the present.

                                  Jim

                                  http://health.yahoo.com
                                • immortalwildcat
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 7 7:36 PM
                                    At midnight, I was already in the balcony of the Lamb Theater. There
                                    was a movie that had started at eight, and people were still leaving
                                    when I got there just before eleven. With my mask and cowl off, and
                                    and overcoat, it wasn't hard to mix with the crowd and get in. Just
                                    before midnight, a group of men came in one of the stage doors. Most
                                    of them were the typical thugs and torpedos in suits, but one of them
                                    was wearing black robes and a black hood over his face. That had to
                                    be the Hammer. And it wasn't looking too good for Judge Cramer.

                                    "All right, you guys have seen what happened to Scarapelli. It's hung
                                    up over that newspaper guy right now, but that's how I've planned
                                    it!" said the hooded figure.

                                    "If you're trying to cut Scraps out, why are you putzing around with
                                    the newspaper guy?" asked one of the suited men.

                                    "Cause he got to one of Scarapelli's men. We don't know which one,
                                    and he might be working for one of us. By putting the squeeze on
                                    Travis, we find out who the stool pigeon is!" I heard several of the
                                    men murmur their appreciation. "I'm in a position to put that kind of
                                    pressure on anybody our guys rat us out with."

                                    "Not for long, Hammer!" I cried as I dropped down into their midst. I
                                    might not have had Lee's fighting experience, but I am the one who
                                    taught him judo, karate and savate. I was helped by the smoke
                                    capsules I had thrown down as I jumped, which burst open and spilled
                                    crimson smoke all over the stage. It was easy to hear them in their
                                    confusion, and I had knocked out most of them before I got a hold of
                                    the Hammer. I had hold of his robes in one hand, and with the other I
                                    reached to rip the hood off of his head. "This is the end of your
                                    plans, Judge Cramer!" I yanked it off, and saw his face. "You?!?"

                                    That's when someone hit me with the butt of a pistol, and I fell to
                                    the floor unconscious.
                                  • immortalwildcat
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 7 7:38 PM
                                      When I came to, I was tied to a chair. I didn't move, and just opened
                                      my eyes enough to get my bearings. The Hammer had his mask back on,
                                      though a couple of his thugs were still lying on the floor.

                                      "Hey, I thought the Crimson Avenger was bigger than this!" said one
                                      of his friends. "And doesn't he wear a red costume?"

                                      "After the way he slugged me, I don't care how big he is!" said
                                      another. "I say we shoot him and drop his body in the river right
                                      now."

                                      "No, no, gentlemen. Far better to teach a lesson to any would-be
                                      mysterymen in this city. We'll shoot him all right, but it will be on
                                      the steps of the police headquarters."

                                      While they were trying to decide what to do with me, I had been
                                      working on the ropes that bound my wrists. They had tied them tight,
                                      but they didn't count on the heavy wristbands of my costume. Lee and
                                      I had figured out that if we put some extra weight in the cuff of his
                                      costume, his punches landed harder. Luckily, he had done the same
                                      with the costume he made for me. When they tied me, the weighted band
                                      was under the rope. As I worked my wrists back and forth within the
                                      loops of rope, the band slid out from under it. That gave me the
                                      slack I needed to work the knots loose; I just needed a few minutes
                                      more.

                                      "We gonna take him now, boss? The truck is out back, so we can stick
                                      him in there, chair and all."

                                      "Yeah, take him out," replied the Hammer. That was it; out of time
                                      and my wrists weren't free yet. I was still feigning unconsciousness,
                                      but I had shifted my feet enough to get them under me. They were tied
                                      together, but they weren't tied to the chair.

                                      "Come on, Frankie, gimme a hand with him." The speaker was right
                                      behind me. I leaned forward as far as I could, planted my feet on the
                                      ground and stood up. The chair came up behind me, and I felt it hit
                                      the unseen thug. I twisted at the waist, swinging the chair around to
                                      hit the guy coming from the side. Unable to see where he was, I
                                      missed him. That put me in position for my next move, though. I
                                      jumped up and threw myself backwards. This brought my full weight
                                      down on the chair.

                                      "Yow!" I cried out as I hit. I was expecting the chair to break, like
                                      they do in the movies. Real life doesn't work that way sometimes,
                                      though. I looked up and saw this big ape jumping at me. I twisted
                                      over onto my side and let him come down on the chair. His weight,
                                      easily twice my own, broke the chair into pieces.

                                      "Thanks!" I said as I hopped to my feet. I don't think he heard me,
                                      though, from the way he was groaning on the floor. I looked around
                                      and saw that there were five guys left standing, not counting the
                                      Hammer. The first one came at me, and I stopped him with a pair of
                                      quick jabs to the jaw. I slid one foot backward a bit and came up on
                                      my toes, waiting for the others to charge me. They didn't keep me
                                      waiting long. Two of them came at me from ten o'clock and two
                                      o'clock, figuring I could stop one but not both. They were both
                                      trying to grab me, with their arms outstretched. I grabbed the wrist
                                      of the one on my left, and pulled him in front of me. The one on my
                                      right plowed into him, and I kept pulling the first across in front
                                      of me so they both tumbled off to the right. The gave me just enough
                                      time to bring my left foot up in a reverse sweep into the stomach of
                                      a guy trying to sneak up behind me. The last guy was smarter, though;
                                      he had reached for a gun.

                                      The two tacklers were already getting back to their feet as I reached
                                      for my belt. That's when I realized they had taken it off of me
                                      before tying me to the chair. I dove low for the gunman, tackling him
                                      at the knees. The gun went off as he fell back into the wall, and I
                                      heard the SPANG of lead ricocheting off of harder metal. The lighting
                                      in the room started flickering and the shadows were moving oddly, so
                                      I figured he had hit the light fixture. I grabbed the gun out his
                                      hand, and threw it with a backhand at one of the guys behind me. It
                                      struck him in the face, and he went down. I made sure the shooter was
                                      out, and turned back to see who was left. There was only one on his
                                      feet, and he wasn't moving too fast. I looked around for the Hammer,
                                      and saw him running up some steps. I sprinted after him, stopping
                                      only long enough to snatch up a broken leg from the chair and hurl it
                                      at the last man standing. It hit him in the temple, and down he went.

                                      I had been in the Lamb Theater a few times, and I knew that the steps
                                      he was going up led to a series of private boxes along the side of
                                      the theater. I could hear his steps ahead of me, and I followed him
                                      to the uppermost box. He had stepped out into the box, and was
                                      standing by the railing when I got there. He had removed the mask
                                      again, I guess because it interfered with his breathing while he was
                                      climbing. When I stepped out, he just stared at me, wild eyed.

                                      "Damn you! You've ruined it all! I could have run this city, but now
                                      it's all ruined!" I took a step toward him, and he raised one leg
                                      over th railing. "Oh, no, you won't take me in! This ends on my
                                      terms!" I reached for him, but he was too quick. He leapt over the
                                      railing to the theater floor some thirty feet down. If it had been a
                                      flat surface, he might have survived it, but he deliberately jumped
                                      out over the rows of seats. I looked down at the broken body of
                                      District Attorney Jame Shapiro.
                                    • immortalwildcat
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 7 7:39 PM
                                        "All of the newspapers in town had a field day with the revelation
                                        that D.A. Shapiro was actually an underground crime boss. Judge
                                        Cramer relented and let Lee out of jail, and Scarapelli's case was
                                        slated to come to trial in two month's time, with no bail allowed for
                                        him." Wing finished telling his story to Linda Travis, the niece of
                                        his one-time employer and crime-fighting partner. "Lee's informant
                                        went to work for the paper later that year. And I became the Crimson
                                        Avenger's partner in adventure."

                                        "And now he's gone, and you're back, though I have to say there are
                                        some real changes."

                                        "Yes, well, being the plaything of a god-like being in his own world
                                        can have strange effects on you." Wing flexed his arms, and beat on
                                        his chest with a comical Tarzan yell. "I know there were a lot of
                                        people who didn't take Wing, the crimefighter, very seriously."

                                        "What about now? Are you going back to fighting crime?" Linda got up
                                        and opened the door into her apartment. Wing got up to follow her
                                        inside, carrying the wine bottle and glasses.

                                        "Well, the other members of the Law's Legionnaires are getting back
                                        in action, so I figure I might as well do the same. I understand that
                                        when Lee died, there didn't seem to be many people who remembered the
                                        Crimson Avenger. I owe it to him to make that a name that people
                                        remember and respect again."

                                        "I think he would like that." Linda picked up a picture of herself,
                                        her father and her uncle, taken shortly after his return from his
                                        trip in time. "It was strange, really. When he re-appeared, still in
                                        his thirties while dad was in his fifties. He was really struck by
                                        that, like he felt that the time he had left might be all that much
                                        shorter because of the paradoxes of time travel. He gave Dad and I
                                        his blessing in running the paper, and took off to see the world. It
                                        wasn't too long after that when he got sick, I guess."

                                        "Didn't he tell you?"

                                        "No, the last I knew, he was in Thailand, then a month later the
                                        police told us that his body was found in the harbor after that boat
                                        exploded. As far as I know, that was the first time he had worn the
                                        costume since he came back."

                                        "That's what Sylvester told me, too." Wing sighed. "Well, regardless,
                                        people will know about the Avenger now. Look, I guess I better get
                                        going now, but I have something for you before I leave."

                                        Linda cocked her head to the side. "For me?"

                                        "Yes. I remembered all those nights when you came to my room, when
                                        you finished your reading, you always wanted to look at my globe."

                                        "Yes! You had that ivory globe, with all the layers carved inside of
                                        it!"

                                        "An infinity sphere, that's the closest translation for its real
                                        name." Wing reached into the bag he had brought, and pulled out a
                                        small box. "All of my own belongings are long gone, of course, but I
                                        found this in San Francisco, and I wanted you to have it."

                                        Linda opened the box and pulled out a white ball, about four inches
                                        in diameter. It was carved with intricate designed, and through the
                                        carved areas she could see another sphere within, then another within
                                        that, and they seemed to go on forever. "Oh, Wing, it's wonderful!"
                                        She looked up at him. "But you aren't going to believe this!"

                                        Holding firmly onto the sphere, Linda walked quickly to her bedroom.
                                        When she returned, she held a similar globe in her other hand, which
                                        she gave to her old friend.

                                        "Linda, is this-? Oh, my, it is!" Wing's face broke into a wide
                                        grin. "How did you wind up with this?"

                                        "When you and Uncle Lee disappeared, Dad kept Lee's penthouse up for
                                        several years. When everyone finally conceded that you would not be
                                        coming back, he asked if there was anything I wanted to remember
                                        Uncle Lee by. There were a few things, which I still have, but I also
                                        kept this, to remember you by."

                                        Wing held the sphere up to the light, looking at the familiar
                                        shapes. "Yes, with the third sphere broken. Like myself, my first
                                        life before I came to America, my second life with Lee, then a
                                        break." He handed the globe back to Linda and smiled. "And an
                                        infinity of experiences ahead of me."

                                        "Then, take this with you, to remind you of that. I'll keep this one,
                                        as the gift you brought me, and when we each gaze into our own
                                        spheres, we can think of each other."

                                        Lee bent down to kiss the woman who had once been like a little
                                        sister to him, then turned to leave. As he left the building and
                                        walked through New York City, he was smiling.

                                        And when he returned to California the following day, he let all of
                                        Roy Harper's questions go unanswered. At least for a while.