Larry Lance in Memories Chapter 18

  • onlydavb
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
      Chapter 18
      Times Past
      Memories
      Opal City Sunday July 26th 1966

      There was a wooded ridgeline across from the Church of the Light, whose Sunday morning service just concluded and the congregation was exiting the doors. Larry Lance was there taking pictures of the people exiting with a special camera equipped with a magical telescopic lens courtesy of Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt.

      Every picture that Larry took of the parishioners was a perfect mug shot. Each one was immediately duplicated and shown to Clifford DeVoe, who was sitting alone in one of the Keystone prison visiting rooms with the Flash. It was Devoe's first respite from solitary confinement. He was amazed at how the single picture the Flash gave him kept changing into a new person every few seconds. The Flash told DeVoe to tell him when he spotted the Light.

      Larry was getting anxious. Most of the crowd had dissipated. Father Lightle was still standing in the doorway of the Church of the Light when a bald headed square jawed man came up from behind the Reverend. Larry smiled as he remembered Doris Knight's description of the Light. He snapped the man's photo. A few seconds later he heard a rush of wind behind him. Flash didn't go to the ridgeline; he stayed out of sight but said quietly to Larry "Got him."

      Larry smiled at the news. He then purposefully exposed his position. The remnants of the congregation, Father Lightle and the Light all could see him. He stayed in plain view until he saw that they had seen him taking their photographs. He then returned to his hotel room and waited for Johnny Thunder and his Thunderbolt.

      Johnny and his T-Bolt had come and gone. Larry thought highly of Johnny, who was Dinah's first friend among the super-hero community. People thought Johnny was a slow and would not, could not be a hero without his faithful Thunderbolt. Dinah never thought so; she said "Johnny just thinks differently than other people."

      Larry agreed, they both also knew the man and his T-Bolt both had hearts of gold. Johnny was calling Larry daily to check up on Dinah. They were both very apologetic when they told Larry that T-Bolt was afraid that he would hurt Dinah more if he tried to magically correct what was wrong with her because it was in her mind. The body T-Bolt could fix but not the mind. T-bolt said jokingly that if he could have done that he "would have fixed Master John a long time ago."

      Larry was sitting in the chair in his hotel room waiting for the Light's response. If he had taken the amount of photos he took this morning with a normal camera a he would still be developing the rolls of film in the makeshift darkroom he created in the bathroom. He wanted to pace, but forced himself to sit. He wanted to smoke another cigarette, but he only had half a pack left on him and he wanted to be here. He decided to have another one in a half an hour. He turned on the TV and started to watch a baseball game. Two innings later there was a knock on his door accompanied with the familiar cry of "Police, open up."

      Larry had his holster and gun on, he quickly removed them and his jacket, hanging them over the chair as he yelled "just a minute, I'm in the bathroom." He then raced over to the bathroom and dipped his hands in the developer fluid before rinsing them off. The police knocked again, louder this time saying "Open this damn door or we'll bust it down!"

      Larry grabbed a towel and went to the door. He looked through door's spyhole and said "Let me see your badges." The two plain clothes officers did as he asked and Larry opened the door. The one on the left punched him in the nose the second he did.

      Larry dropped the towel as he staggered back and the big man hit him again, this time in the stomach. Larry was doubled over but he could she two uniformed officers rush in behind the detectives. They shoved Larry over to the wall and searched him. The detective that hit him went over to the chair where Larry's jacket and gun were while the other one went into the bathroom.

      The detective quickly found the gun. Larry said "I have a permit for that." He was punched in the kidney as soon as he finished his sentence. "Don't talk unless we ask you something punk" said one of the uniforms. "Larry started to drop to his knees from the blow but the other cop held him up.

      The detective combed through Larry's wallet and said "What do you know boys, we got us a genuine private eye." Then to Larry he said "Who you working for?"

      "Cant' tell you, the clients confidentiality is legally protected" said Larry.

      "Yeah, you got all sorts of rights usually. But not now. Who you working for?" said the detective.

      "Sorry, can't tell you" said Larry. The detective Kicked Larry squarely in the groin while the two uniforms held him. He would have continued but the other detective said "Hold it Sal. Come in here and take a look at this."

      The two detectives were talking. Larry couldn't make out what they were saying. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Johnny Thunder in the crowd of the baseball game on the TV silently asking Larry "Now?" Larry gave him a brief shake of the head. The two detectives came out and the one named Sal said "Cuff him and take him d
    • Frank Murdock
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2013
        Look forward to seeing the surprise you have instore for the reader
        regarding T-bolts part in this last scene.

        --
        sincerely,

        Frank G. Murdock
        Acadiana Area Council of the Blind President and founder
      • The Time Trust
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2013
          I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

          --