[The JSA All-Star Story Site] Re: Power Girl, 1974: Kara's European Vacation, Pt. 3

  • libbyblawrence
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4 7:10 AM
      That's a good idea.
    • onlydavb
      Message 2 of 23 , May 6 7:18 PM
        Good story Doc. I have only one little quibble with it. I don't think The Superman of Earth two would have signed the name Kal on his note to Kara. Powergirl might always think of him as Kal-L, but he would think of himself as Clark kent. The wonderful background you gave about how Kara felt about the Clark Kent identity shows this. It was a point of contention between the two as Superman thinks of himself as an earth man while PowerGirl revels in being Kryptonian.
        If he shigned the missive as Kal he must of been trying to placate her somewhat and Kara's too smart not to have noticed.

        --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Doc Quantum" <the_time_trust_2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Power Girl provided the ship with enough power to make it all the way to its destination, which she learned was none other than the place from which she'd come: the port city of Bordeaux. That's a weird coincidence, she concluded. And, on a hunch, she decided to watch as the passengers disembarked.
        >
        > As she was watching the passengers head out of Customs and toward the waiting area, she gasped as she recognized one of the family members waiting. It was Tommy with the headmaster.
        >
        > There's no way, she thought to herself in disbelief. Could that have been the very same ship...?
        >
        > Sure enough, as Tommy's parents entered the waiting area, Tommy rushed forward into their arms, crying, "Mom! Dad!"
        >
        > Power Girl, watching from afar, laughed to herself as she thought, Well, I guess that squares me with Tommy. Without even knowing it, I helped his parents get here faster for their reunion with the kid! I can see why Cousin Kal loves this hero gig so much. It feels good -- really good -- to help people like this. Now back to the old mountain fortress and write it all down for posterity. What was that kid's strange last name, again? I'll have to make sure to make a note of it.
        >
        > ***
        >
        > Back at the Secret Citadel that evening, Kara Zor-L sat at the computer console typing in the details of her training mission for Superman.
        >
        > That boy's name is Tommy Tomorrow. It's a strange one, I know, but given how smart that kid is, Cousin Kal, let's hope he's on the side of the angels. I'd hate to see him grow up to be another Luthor or Ultra-Humanite.
        >
        > End of training mission across the Atlantic Ocean and back.
        >
        > Author's note: This story is an Earth-Two adaptation and retelling of an Earth-One Supergirl story called "Supergirl Visits the 21st Century," in which Supergirl meets the young Tommy Tomorrow in the mid-twenty-first century. When Tommy Tomorrow, one of DC Comics' early science fiction heroes, first appeared in Real Fact Comics #6 (January, 1947), his original adventures were actually set in the late 20th century, only later being placed in the twenty-first century.
        >
        > In Action Comics #127, for example, Tommy Tomorrow is depicted as graduating from Space Port West Point in 1988, and subsequent adventures place him in 1989 and 1990. It was only with Action Comics #150 that Tommy was placed in the year 2050. I place Tommy's twenty-first-century adventures on Earth-One and his twentieth-century adventures on a variant of Earth-Two.
        >
        > Theorizing that, since he exists as an adult by 1988 on a variant of Earth-Two, that he could also exist in the main Earth-Two timeline at the same age formed the basis for this story. It's a happy coincidence that he would be a child at the same time that Kara Zor-L is still acting as the Earth-Two Superman's secret weapon.

      • libbyblawrence
        Message 3 of 23 , May 8 4:08 PM
          Do you know of any source for Tommy reprints?

          I think the Supergirl story and his Captain Comet team up are the only 2 stories I've read about TT.

          --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "libbyblawrence" <lawrenceliberty@...> wrote:

          > That's a good idea.

        • The Time Trust
          Message 4 of 23 , May 8 4:17 PM
            I'm not aware of any, but I do have scans of most, if not all, of Tommy Tomorrow's appearances. I just haven't read many of them yet. I think the differences between the early Tommy Tomorrow from the late 1940s and early 1950s (whose adventures ran from 1988 to 1990) and the Silver Age Tommy Tomorrow should be emphasized, though. Earth-1 is the place for the "classic" version of Tommy Tomorrow who appeared in Showcase in the 1960s and has made several guest appearances in various stories. Earth-2 (more specifically, an alternate timeline version of Earth-2 where scientific advancements from the 1950s to the 1980s were very, very rapid) is the place for the Tommy Tomorrow from Real Fact Comics and his earliest Action Comics appearances. And the main Earth-2 timeline is where my version of Tommy Tomorrow exists, introduced in this story as a boy genius who would be in his mid-20s in the late 1980s.

            --
            Cheers,
            Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

            www.5earths.info