Re: The Outsiders -- Chapter 5 -- The Spirit is Willing, but the Cobra is Strong

  • ddswanson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
      I wonder if the Spirit will heed the warning, or accept the challenge? Bet I know!

      Quick typo: "I don't what you hurt." Cynthia to Natalie, after the fight.

      Thanks, and hurry with the next installment!

      Dan

      --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "sandyhausler" <shausler@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > The Spirit ducked, and her opponent landed behind her. The Spirit could see that it was a woman. The woman pivoted and attacked. The Spirit blocked, but was met with another attack. She evaded, and set up an attack of her own. This went on for 20 minutes, with each party making some hits on the other, but neither party able to definitively win. Even with only one good eye, the Spirit managed to hold her off. And as she fought, the Spirit felt that there was something familiar about her opponent, as if she had been fighting her her entire life. She was not wrong.
      >
      > Her opponent stopped fighting. "Very good, Natalie," she said. "You're as good as ever."
      >
      > The Spirit's jaw dropped. She recognized that voice. "Cynthia?" she responded. And as she said the name, the Spirit realized that she had known her opponent from the start, but had not been able to believe it.
      >
      > "Of course. Didn't you recognize my fighting style? I'm better than the last time we sparred, but I wouldn't think you'd have forgotten."
      >
      > "But I thought you were dead. Nobody's heard from you in years."
      >
      > "That's what I wanted everyone to think. But I would have thought that my twin sister would know that I was alive."
      >
      > And if she were honest with herself, the Spirit would admit that her sister was right. She had never believed that Cynthia was dead. Not even after all these years. But to find her here!
      >
      > "How can you be working for the Cobra?" The Spirit had noticed (how could she help it?) that Cynthia was wearing a snake mask and a green and orange costume. Obviously, she was in league with the Cobra.
      >
      > Cynthia looked at her sister and laughed. "Oh Natalie, I don't work for the Cobra. I am the Cobra."
      >
      > That was not what the Spirit had expected. She stared at her sister.
      >
      > "When I first heard about the Spirit, I knew it was you. I was just getting started in Gotham. And I knew we would cross paths. Which is why I lured you here. Stay out of my business, Natalie. I don't what you hurt. You want to play hero, feel free. There are a lot of freaks in Gotham. Deal with them. But stay out of my business. Bad things happen to people who cross me." The Cobra walked slowly across the room toward a window. She opened it.
      >
      > "Is that a threat?" asked the Spirit.
      >
      > "Of course not. It's just the truth. I don't want you hurt, but if you get involved in my business, it's likely you will be. Very likely."
      >
      > The Spirit took a step toward her sister, but the Cobra leaped out of the window. The Spirit ran to the window, but there was no sign of the Cobra when she looked out. But she heard the Cobra's laugh.

    • sandyhausler
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
        The next two chapters will be origins, one for the Dark and one for the Spirit and the Cobra.

        Sandy Hausler

        --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, The Time Trust <the_time_trust_2000@...> wrote:

        > Very cool new character(s). I like the interesting dynamic between hero and villain in this chapter. There's some hints of a backstory that I'm looking forward to learning.
        >
        > I can see a lot of puzzle-pieces being set up in this story so far, but I'm not sure how they relate to each other just yet. I'm sure the various plot threads will eventually meet.
        >
        > Looking forward to more!
        >
        > --
        > Cheers,
        > Doc Quantum of The Time Trust
        >

        > Read stories of your favorite DC Comics characters at the Five Earths Project!
        > www.5earths.info

      • libbyblawrence
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2013
          I've just caught up on this story and I like it. While I was one of the readers who would have made Dick Grayson the new Batman, I also like the idea of the Blue Bat. After all there are heroes around the world who were inspired by Batman so why not have one more! The fact that he is the son of an alternate Earth Batman only makes him more interesting. Cool use of Bat Mite too!