Chicago Story: Beginnings Part 4

  • vendikarr_dewuff
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 24, 2013
      Johnny Kelly was having a bad day. He had just returned from a supply run to the Canadian border, only to find out a barman he recommended had been skimming. To say he was upset was putting it mildly. He stood in the alley behind the DeWulf House with two of his boys, `talking' to the bartender.

      The two men held the barkeep, as Kelly hit him over and over. He paused and said "Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. I put the word in for you, and this is how you repay me? You make me look bad in front of Mr. DeLuca." Then he struck Jimmy again.

      "What am I going to do with you," said the gangster, a hint of an Irish brogue in his voice.

      Weakly, Jimmy said "I'm sorry Johnny. I needed the money. Ma keeps sending money back to family in Ireland. She's breaking me."

      "No Jimmy," said Kelly, "I'm breaking ya." And he proceeded to hit the man again. The bruised and battered barman sagged in the arms of the two thugs holding him. Kelly nodded to them, and they dropped him.

      "Jimmy, Mr. DeLuca asked me to talk to you and make sure you never do it again. Are you gonna do it again?"

      "No Johnny, never. I swear," said Jimmy.

      "Then off with you boy-o. You don't work here no more," Kelly replied.

      The barman dragged himself to his feet, and started slowly shuffling down the alley. Kelly watched him and shook his head slowly. He then turned to his men and said "Malone, Harrington, off with ya. Go spend some time with your boys. It's been a long couple of days."

      The two smiled and took off quickly, before Kelly had a chance to change his mind. Kelly smiled at his men, entered the club and shut the alleyway door. He walked through the kitchen, the staff stepping out of his way. He stopped at a sink and washed the blood off of his fists. He slipped on his white fedora and dark blue pin-striped jacket, and then entered the club floor.

      He looked across the club and saw his boss, Angelo DeLuca, talking to the new bartender. He walked over to his boss, and waited for the older man to finish speaking. When he did, he turned to Kelly.

      "Our problem is dealt with?" asked the club owner.

      "Yes sir. We had a good talk, and he's been fired. He won't be pulling that here no more," said Kelly.

      "He had better not Johnny. I took your advice and gave him a job. And you let me down. It had better not happen again."

      Angry at being talked down to like this, Kelly simply replied "No boss, never again." Just then, he noticed a black haired man, with a pencil thin mustache and black tuxedo standing against the wall behind his boss.

      "Did you hear me Kelly? Get ready, we're opening the doors," said DeLuca.

      Kelly turned to his boss and acknowledged him, then turned back and saw the man was gone. He scanned the club floor and there was no trace of the tuxedoed gentleman. `Strange' he said to himself as he shook his head and moved to his place near the front door. He had a man who admitted customers, but he had a position so he could see everyone entering the club. He wanted to make sure he liked the look of everyone who came in. It was Kelly's job to keep the peace, even if meant causing a little trouble to maintain that peace.
    • The Time Trust
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 24, 2013
        I spotted the name Malone -- I'm guessing it's probably not a coincidence that he has the same name as "Matches" Malone from your Operation Liberty stories.

        --
        Cheers,
        Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

        www.5earths.info

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
          I love to name drop.

          Given the year the story is set, this Malone would be the father of Matches. Matches would be the referenced son.

          --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, The Time Trust <the_time_trust_2000@...> wrote:

          > I spotted the name Malone -- I'm guessing it's probably not a coincidence that he has the same name as "Matches" Malone from your Operation Liberty stories.
          >
          > --
          > Cheers,
          > Doc Quantum of The Time Trust
          >

          > Read stories of your favorite DC Comics characters at the Five Earths Project!
          > www.5earths.info

        • vendikarr_dewuff
          Message 4 of 18 , May 20, 2013
            I am going over my story, and there is one thing I wanted to comment on here.

            In the early 1920s, I see Immortal Man focused on Vandal Savage for most of his existance. I know he did more for others in the 1960s, but that is not who he is in this story.

            By the end of this story, IM will feel a responsibility to others, and an expanded purpose, bringing him to be the person we know in the present.

            You're never too old to grow and learn.

            --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, The Time Trust <the_time_trust_2000@...> wrote:

            > One other thing: yes, Immortal Man is driven to thwart Vandal Savage's plans, and I think he spends a lot of time doing this, but I'd say the majority of his activities over the centuries have nothing to do with Savage. He's a wandering superhero.
            >
            > In his first appearances in Strange Adventures in the mid-'60s, for example, before his connections to Vandal Savage were established, Immortal Man simply had a series of adventures. He died quite frequently, too, and was reborn (though I tend to think that Immortal Man usually doesn't go through bodies at that quick a pace). He wasn't shown to be overly obsessive about anything, except he did fall in love with a woman in one incarnation and met her again in subsequent incarnations after the first one died. So I do think he has allowed himself time to have a life -- or lives, as it were -- between various campaigns against Savage.
            >
            > Given their long lifespans, I'd think that Immortal Man and Savage have lost track of each other's activities for years, decades, maybe even centuries at a time. So they were up to other things that had nothing to do with finding the other during those times.
            >
            > Anyway, just my two cents.
            >
            > --
            > Cheers,
            > Doc Quantum of The Time Trust
            >

            > Read stories of your favorite DC Comics characters at the Five Earths Project!
            > www.5earths.info

          • The Time Trust
            Message 5 of 18 , May 21, 2013
              You're starting to sway me over to your way of thinking, Wuff.