Re: Chicago Story: Beginnings Part 2

  • vendikarr_dewuff
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
      If I was to develop Etrigan further, I think I would have Merlin bind him to an artifact of some kind.. ring, amulet, toe ring.. whatever. And have an incantation that passes possession of the ring, and the demon from person to person. And an incantation that invokes the demon.. Then you take the demon's form, with an annoying voice in your head.

      No need for a Jason Blood.. but he may control the demon at one point. Or maybe having the ring handed down through a bloodline, so keeping track of family is important in case your particular branch comes to an end.

      --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "ddswanson" wrote:

      > Etrigan has been used here before. Chrissie introduced him, and we accepted him as a valid character. There are differences between the E1 and E2 Etrigan; I can go back and find the email that details them - I think it was written by Cat. In any case, he was probably different 1500 years ago than he is today.
      >
      > I used him as well, and made him a long term foe of the Spectre, and pretty near as powerful - and I practically burned out my brain writing rhymes, and then, the story was removed from continuity. Oh well!
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, vendikarr_dewuff wrote:
      > >

      > > Notes about part 2.
      > >
      > > First, I wanted to set this interlude at the end of the 5th century. Should have been 496, not 596. Corrected in my text file.
      > >
      > > Second, I thought if I was an immortal, I would keep a journal. I have problems remembering what I had for breakfast this morning, so something that happened to me centuries ago, forget about it. Plus I can use it to introduce points to the story without really interrupting the story.
      > >
      > > Plus it was fun.
      > >
      > > And yes, my description of the demon that killed Merrick was supposed to be Etrigan. But since I don't name him, nothing more has to happen with him, and I am not introducing him to Earth-2. There may not be a Jason Blood on Earth-2, or Merlin may not have joined them together. It's just a tip of the hat, like mentioning Sir Justin.
      > >
      > > There will be more journal excerpts.

    • Frank Murdock
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
        Great idea.

        Another idea might be to just call the demon something else altogether
        and run with your idea. Gritchnak comes to mind. ;-,

        --
        sincerely,

        Frank G. Murdock
      • The Time Trust
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
          Another twist might be to explore what connection Merlin's demon has with early legends about Merlin. In those legends, Merlin was the son of a demon and a human woman. Could Etrigan (or whatever this demon's name is) actually be the Earth-2 Merlin's FATHER? It would be ironic, if Merlin later was able to enslave his own demon father to do his will.

          I would suggest Jason Blood exist only as a mortal man in Arthurian times, and the demon is passed on from person to person. Good idea. Then at least 'Cat's story with the current holder of the demon being the Earth-2 Daniel Cassidy would make sense.

          --
          Cheers,
          Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

          www.5earths.info

          >________________________________

        • ddswanson
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
            I just reread a lot of old messages. Chrissy's first story using Etrigan was removed from continuity, as was mine very own (the best chapters I ever wrote, too!). So other than Cat's story, there doesn't seem to be any restriction on his use. Especially that far into the past. The idea of tying him to a bloodline is interesting; would that make Dan Cassidy a descendent of Merlin? I really like the freeing spell: "Gone, Gone, the form of Dan, Rise the demon Etrigan!"

            Binding him a a thing seems like a cliche, unless you can come up with an unusual twist.

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
              I think the only previous Demon story on Earth-2 that could be considered to be in continuity is 'Cat's short story showing how the Earth-2 Dan Cassidy (counterpart of the Blue Devil of Earth-1) learned he was the latest host of the Demon. But there's no mention of Jason Blood, and I think it's best that Jason Blood remain an Earth-1 character, one of the few immortal characters there. The Earth-2 Jason Blood could have been a mortal man who was the first host of the Demon and who died not long after the Arthurian era.

              Here's a repost of 'Cat's story in its entirety:

              #############

              Whatever Happened To... Etrigan?   Message List
              Reply | DeleteMessage #13844 of 15942 < Prev | Next >
              Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 pm
              "da Cat!" <cjburke@...>

              immortalwildcat

              "Annnnnd cut!" The familiar cry echoed over the back lot of Parastar
              Studios, and dozens of extras in medieval English garb (or a Hollywood
              version of it) relaxed and started talking amongst themselves.

              "You ready for the sacrifice scene, Dan?" asked the director. Next to
              him, a large, muscular man garbed in a bright yellow bodysuit, a red
              doublet and horrific make-up smiled, revealing oversized fangs and
              jagged teeth.

              "Sure thing, Mitch. Action starts, I drop down from the parapet,
              scoop up Cindy, and wait for the smoke pot to ignite."

              "I might want to have you on wires, to fly off with her, but let's try
              the puff-o-smoke approach first."

              Dan Cassidy made his way through the milling throng of actors, extras
              and crew to the wall of the fake castle. Just through the gate, there
              was a door panel that opened on to a ladder. He climbed up and found
              his mark on the narrow catwalk that ran behind the castle's wall.
              Below him, Mitch Holliday shouted directions to the cast to get them
              into place. Cindy Miller was led out to her place in front of a stack
              of wood and foam-rubber manacles were fitted around her wrists and
              ankles. He heard the hiss of gas jets just before they ignited and
              blew flames up and around the wood, making it appear to be burning for
              the cameras.

              "ACTION!" cried Mitch. On cue, the extras started yelling and
              screaming whatever gibberish came to mind. Some of them waved
              pitchforks as they advanced towards the beautiful actress. To eitehr
              side of Dan, pyrotechnics ignited, spewing flame and smoke around him.
              He rose up in the smoke, stretching his arms outward as he silently
              mouthed the lines of the script. He knew the lines would be dubbed in
              later by an appropriate voice-over actor, but he loved the play of the
              words.

              "Begone ye now, foolish sons of man, Beware the demon, Etrigan!"

              Etrigan. During the writing of this script, his first attempt to
              break out of the mold of the typical Hollywood stuntman, Dan had done
              some research on obscure occult figures, and came across the name.
              Some of the mouldy old texts he'd found claimed that Etrigan was one
              of the major demons, but he found very few other references to back up
              the claim. But the name just rolled off the tongue, and his idea to
              make Etrigan speak in rhyme seemed to work well with the name.

              Dan watched for the signal from Mitch. When Mitch signaled, Dan
              leaped to a small springboard on the catwalk, which propelled him high
              enough to leap over the wall and over the fire below. He landed on
              his mark, right in front of Cindy. Laughing maniacally, he grabbed
              her around the waist and pulled her up over his left shoulder. The
              foam manacles broke away easily. He turned, surveying the mob before
              him and sweeping his right hand. A shower of sparks came from a
              device hidden in the loose sleeve of the doublet, and smoke rose
              around him from smoke pots in the floor.

              Mitch Holliday watched the proceedings with a smile. As the smoke
              arose, he prepared to yell "Cut" once again, when one of the smoke
              pots exploded with a strange, loud noise of rushing wind. Mitch
              watched in horror as both Dan and Cindy were thrown upwards, Cindy
              forward into the crowd of extra, Dan backwards into the gas-fueled
              flames of the "bonfire." "Cut the flames!" he screamed, even as he
              saw two of the technicians turning the valves to turn off the gas
              lines. Still, a column of flame rose from Cassidy's prone body. It
              continued for three minutes, then disappeared. The set's emergency
              crew rushed forward, expected to find a corpse.

              "Wow, what the hell just happened?" asked Dan, sitting up in the
              burned remnants of his costume. He stood, brushing himself off.
              "What's the matter with you guys? You look like you've seen a ghost?"

              Late that night, Dan Cassidy sat in his townhouse, sipping on a bottle
              of beer. He still couldn't beleive his luck. From all reports, he
              should have been burned to a crisp. The only thing he could figure
              was that the make-up and costume, which he had taken pains to ensure
              were fireproof because of the nature of the film they were shooting,
              had shielded him from the flames.

              "Yeah, Etrigan, looks like you saved Mrs. Cassidy's only boy from his
              own foolishness," he said, looking at the script for "The Demon." He
              picked it up and looked through it, at some points seeing it as if for
              the first time. "Breathing fire, right. Demons don't breathe fires,
              they conjure the hellflames," he muttered. Then he shook himself.
              "Where did that come from?"

              Getting up, he paced his living room for a few minutes, humming a
              tune. As a church tower nearby chimed midnight, he sat down again and
              grabbed a sheet of clean paper from a stack. Still humming, he drew a
              series of parallel lines across the page, in groups of five. Then,
              with the bells still echoing in the room, he started to put his music
              down on paper...

              #############

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
                I liked your story as a standalone story, and I published it on the Five Earths Multiverse blog under the Earth-2 Elseworlds heading:

                https://5earthsmultiverse.wordpress.com/

                BTW, I will also be publishing one of your Justice Machine stories at the above site soon. I hope to have time this weekend to publish two stories, and your first JM story should be one of them.

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
                  There's a fascinating discussion about Etrigan as a rhyming demon that should be kept in mind for the Earth-1 character only:
                  http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/05/19/the-abandoned-an%E2%80%99-forsaked-does-the-demon-rhyme-all-of-the-time/

                  For the Earth-1 Demon, Etrigan's rhyming is not set in stone and only came about because of Len Wein and Alan Moore in the mid-'80s. Jack Kirby set the trend -- Etrigan rhymes once in a while, but normally speaks without using rhyme.

                  For the Earth-2 Demon, I say don't even have Etrigan rhyme at all. Too much of a headache.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
                    I know the Spectre/Etrigan team up is posted, Doc. I'm just p&m'ing because it isn't canon. I thought it was the best response to Chrissy ever - and so did she, actually:

                    "While through my refusal to delete Game Masters, I thought that you
                    were just going to get all "pissy", and for awhile I thought you
                    had... So I kept silent. But What you did with what I started has me
                    wanting MORE!!! You've seemed to have captured the Madness of the
                    Etrigan I brought to Earth 2, Congrats Dan... This has been One of
                    the best story lines I've seen in awhile... Way to Go..."

                    That's when Driv started shunning me!

                    Dan

                    --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, The Time Trust wrote:

                    > I liked your story as a standalone story, and I published it on the Five Earths Multiverse blog under the Earth-2 Elseworlds heading:
                    >
                    > https://5earthsmultiverse.wordpress.com/
                    >

                    > BTW, I will also be publishing one of your Justice Machine stories at the above site soon. I hope to have time this weekend to publish two stories, and your first JM story should be one of them.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Cheers,
                    > Doc Quantum of The Time Trust
                    >

                    > Read stories of your favorite DC Comics characters at the Five Earths Project!
                    > www.5earths.info
                    >

                    > >________________________________

                  • Drivtaan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
                      I've studied the Amish, Dan, and I really know how to shun. Gee, I hope no Amish see this and get offended.

                      Lee

                    • Drivtaan
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 8, 2013
                        I say he should rhyme and speak backwards like Zatanna.

                        Lee

                      • ddswanson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 9, 2013
                          I wrote a basic program to convert English spells into a really weird language for my Wizzo the Wizard story:

                          "DANGHO WWGPOG THTUGU HFAWKA PHTUWO ZUAWHT UUOKHT XUVALU!"

                          Of course, I have no idea anymore what the English equivalent is any longer - and I've lost the basic program.

                          I understand you are an accomplished poet - so you write the rhymes, and I'll make them backwards.

                          Dan

                          --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, Drivtaan wrote:

                          > I say he should rhyme and speak backwards like Zatanna.
                          >
                          > Lee

                        • ddswanson
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 9, 2013
                            Thanks, Doc, I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to send the URL to Mark Ellis - it would be kind of neat if he would post the URL on the official Justice Machine site.

                            Dan

                            > BTW, I will also be publishing one of your Justice Machine stories at the above site soon. I hope to have time this weekend to publish two stories, and your first JM story should be one of them.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Cheers,
                            > Doc Quantum of The Time Trust
                            >

                            > Read stories of your favorite DC Comics characters at the Five Earths Project!
                            > www.5earths.info
                            >

                            > >________________________________

                          • sandyhausler
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 10, 2013
                              I hope we are past the time when members of this group shun one another.

                              Sandy Hausler

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 10, 2013
                                The official end of Dan's shun time is 2:00 PM this Thursday.

                                Lee

                              • The Time Trust
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 10, 2013
                                  Driv, you're too kind.

                                  --
                                  Cheers,
                                  Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

                                  www.5earths.info

                                  >________________________________

                                • ddswanson
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 11, 2013
                                    ah, crud, I was just starting to enjoy it!

                                    Dan

                                    --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, Drivtaan wrote:

                                    > The official end of Dan's shun time is 2:00 PM this Thursday.
                                    >
                                    > Lee

                                  • Drivtaan
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 11, 2013
                                        How about a compromise of me shunning you on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Dan? That would leave Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays open in case anyone else would like to shun you. We can all take a break from shunning or not shunning on Sundays.

                                      Lee