The Spectre in "You Can't Go Home Again" Chapter 12

  • onlydavb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2011
      It has been a long time since I dropped this tale and I'm going to try and finish up
      Dave

      Chapter 12

      Andrea helped Jim as he slowly climbed off the hospital bed. "I want to go with you to Cliffland Jim" she said as she helped him put on his shirt.

      Jim turned and faced his wife. He looked her right in the eye before saying "No."

      Andrea cried out "Damn it Jim! I'm a cop's wife. I was a cop's wife before you became the Spectre again. Never knowing if I'd ever see you again every time you left. Then you became the Spectre and I knew you were safe. Now you're dying. I want to be with you."

      "No" Jim repeated. "Listen Andrea, I need to know that you and the kids are safe. This demon, Shathan, he would you against me Besides the JSA is going with me. They don't lose."

      "Tell that to Batman" countered Andrea.

      Jim winced at that cutting remark. "I need to know that the girls have you there. I told you about how I died that first time Gat Benson used my fiancée to get at me, to kill me. Then that drug lord Antonio Scalzo used you and the girls against me before I died again. Worse, he killed you too. I need to have a clear head and I can't if I'm worried about you."

      The couple stared at each other in silence for a moment before they embraced and kissed one another.

      *******

      Andrea and Jim walked hand in hand as she led her husband to the famed meeting room of the Justice Society of America. "I'll wait out here" she said.
      "No, come on in Andrea. You should at least know what we're doing said Jim.

      Together they walked into the large meeting room dominated by circular table. "Oh my" said Andrea, "Just like King Arthur's fabled Round Table."

      Jim cocked an eyebrow as he gathered the significance of the table for the first time. Each member was equal to the other just like Arthur's famous knights. Jim looked at the eagle and shield emblem in the center of the table with the Justice Society's logo. "We didn't have this table when I was a member" he said as he admired the fine craftsmanship.

      "Mr. Terrific built it back in the 60's Jim. When we came out of retirement, don't tell me you don't remember it" said Dr. Mid-Nite.

      "The Spectre and I were two separate beings beck then Doc. He was active in the JSA while I was busy being a cop" explained Corrigan. He then looked around the room and saw that there were only three other JSA members present. "So tell me where we are now."

      The Atom spoke first: "Your daughters are up in New Hampshire with Nuklon, Damage and my wife, Mary, are there with them. It's a cabin I inherited from my uncle. It's also where Joe Morgan trained me how to fight. I'll take Andrea there once we leave.

      Hourman spoke next: "Charles has given samples of your blood Jim and I'm trying to find a way to slow down this unnatural aging process you body is going through. Trouble is the process mutates every time I arrest it. Tyler Chemical has a plant near Cliffland so I'll be going there to continue giving short term relief.

      Lastly Dr. Mid-Nite spoke. "As I told you before Wildcat, Robin and the Huntress are already in Cliffland trying to find your body. Wes Dodds called from China. He and Diane are on a world tour, He can't come to our aid, but he's sending his partner Sleeper.
    • Frank G. Murdock
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2011
        Dave,

        Glad to see you've returned to this story. It was one of the stories I was
        following.

        I did find some mistakes though. I've made corrections below. I hope you do
        not mind.

        /FM

        "No" Jim repeated. "Listen Andrea, I need to know that you and the kids are
        safe. This demon, Shathan, he would you against me Besides the JSA is going
        with me. They don't lose."

        "No" Jim repeated. "Listen Andrea, I need to know that you and the kids are
        safe. This demon, Shathan, he would use you against me. Besides, the JSA is
        going with me. They don't lose."

        Together they walked into the large meeting room dominated by circular
        table. "Oh my" said Andrea, "Just like King Arthur's fabled Round Table."

        Together they walked into the large meeting room dominated by a circular
        table.

        "The Spectre and I were two separate beings beck then Doc. He was active in
        the JSA while I was busy being a cop" explained Corrigan. He then looked
        around the room and saw that there were only three other JSA members
        present. "So tell me where we are now."

        "The Spectre and I were two separate beings back then Doc.

        The Atom spoke first: "Your daughters are up in New Hampshire with Nuklon,
        Damage and my wife, Mary, are there with them. It's a cabin I inherited from
        my uncle. It's also where Joe Morgan trained me how to fight. I'll take
        Andrea there once we leave.

        The Atom spoke first: "Your daughters are up in New Hampshire with Nuklon,
        Damage and my wife, Mary. They are there with them.

        Hourman spoke next: "Charles has given samples of your blood Jim and I'm
        trying to find a way to slow down this unnatural aging process you body is
        going through. Trouble is the process mutates every time I arrest it. Tyler
        Chemical has a plant near Cliffland so I'll be going there to continue
        giving short term relief.

        Hourman spoke next: "Charles has given us samples of your blood Jim and I'm
        trying to find a way to slow down this unnatural aging process your body is
        going through.