The Gray Ghost -- Part 9

  • sandyhausler
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2011
      The Grey Ghost headed down the hill at a good,clip. The hill ended when the natural terrain met a wall on the side of the highway. At that point, there was a ten-foot drop to the road. It would be tricky to land at just the right spot to pick up Buddy, but the Ghost knew how to handle a motorcycle. He briefly wondered how that was, but quickly put the thought aside. All of his concentration was necessary to see that things worked out; he could think about the hows later. At any rate, the Grey Ghost often found that he had special knowledge without knowing how he came by it.

      The Ghost flew off the hill and the cycle turned as it fell and landed right in front of Buddy and the police.

      "Grey Ghost Express, Buddy. Hop aboard," said the Ghost. Buddy did not waste any time in hopping on the cycle. This happened so fast that the police did not react until the cycle sped away. But the police, once it was clear that Buddy had been taken, were in quick pursuit.

      Fortunately, Bernie's motorcycle was top of the line, and the police found it hard to keep up. Once they reached a stretch of road with heavier traffic, the Ghost was able to weave through the cars and exit the highway with ease. He then reentered the highway going the other way, passing dozens of police cars before anyone even realized what had happened. In short, the Ghost and Buddy were home free.

      The Ghost clicked on the radio. "Boss, I'm back," he said.

      "I can't believe it," said Hugo. "You actually got him? Right from under the nose of the police?"

      "Ah, you've heard," said the Ghost.

      "Of course, I've heard, you imbecile. That's what I do. I know things that nobody else knows," snapped Hugo. "What I want to know is why you did it. We had arrangements to take care of things."

      "But that would be very bloody. A lot of cops killed. Dead cops is bad news."

      "Normally I'd agree, but kidnapping our target from under their news is almost as bad, replied Hugo. "Now, I assume you're willing to finish things off."

      "Not on your life," replied the Ghost. "You're the brains. You figure out a way to take care of him without anything pointing at me."

      "Hmm . . , that's smart thinking. Anything that points at you is bad for me, too," said Hugo. "All right, we'll arrange to have him turned over. I'll tell you where we can meet."

      "If it's the same to you. I've got a place in mind. The parking lot at the Shop Mart on Haines Street that closed up recently. Midnight. Nobody will be there."

      Hugo was impressed. It's as if Bernie could tell that Hugo planned to off him at the same time he turned over Buddy. But this worried Hugo. Bernie took orders; that was his thing. He didn't have the initiative to come up with a scheme to protect his own interests. Which, of course, led Hugo to believe that he was not dealing with Bernie. And that worried him.

      "All right," said Hugo, "Midnight tonight."

      The Gray Ghost smiled and drove off with his precious cargo.
    • Frank G. Murdock
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2011
        Thanks for the update. I do enjoy this tale when there's an installment. :-,

        /FM

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2011
          Yeah, I know. I've got to move this story along. I still have the Dark story waiting to go forward. Plus other stuff.

          Sandy Hausler

          --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Frank G. Murdock" <bytor84@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the update. I do enjoy this tale when there's an installment. :-,
          >
          > /FM
        • Frank G. Murdock
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
            All good things take time. :-,