The Spectre in "You Can't Go Home Again" Chapter 5

  • onlydavb
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      Jim Corrigan reported into the 78th precinct house of the Gotham City Police Department at 07:45 hours just as he always did when he worked the day shift. Corrigan's shift started at eight, but he always liked to get in a few minutes early and have a coffee before taking a report from the outgoing shift. The other detectives also filed in slowly as they always did. Because the detectives had their own cases they working on they did not have to get a report, but Corrigan did because he liked to get the feel of what had been going on in the precinct since he last worked. That was especially true this morning because he was coming of a nice two days off,

      The meeting was held. Detective Lieutenant Barney Peters was in charge of the squad. He frowned and nodded when Jim came into his office. Corrigan found this to be odd because he and Peters got along well. The graveyard shift reported that they had had the usual shares crimes: a couple of assaults, two muggings, three robberies and a double homicide. None of the cases seemed to be tied to any other open cases the precinct had.

      After the meeting Lt. Peters ask Corrigan to stay for a minute. Jim said "Sure Barney, what's up?"

      Peters' face looked like he had just eaten a pickled lemon saturated with onion juice. "I want you to go to police headquarters Jim and report to Acting Chief O'Malley."

      Corrigan was on edge now as he had had a few run ins with O'Malley back when he was the Deputy Chief for Meta-Human Crimes. "What's he want?" asked Corrigan.

      "I don't know, but Jim I asked around on the Q.T. and I'd have a PBA lawyer with you. And you didn't hear that from me."

      Corrigan frowned now as he wondered what that SOB O'Malley thought he had on him. "Come on Barney, you know me, I don't need a lawyer."

      Peters was wishing he had a cigarette as he did not enjoy this at all. "Jim the word I got is that O'Malley has something on you that and he is going to take your badge this morning."

      "What does he have?" wondered Corrigan aloud. "I'm an honest cop. You know that Barney."

      "Yes I do, you're also one of the best detectives on the force but O'Malley has been after you, your partner and a couple of other detectives for over a year. Now the man is the acting chief since Chief Hanson had his heart attack last month. Get you butt over to headquarters and have a lawyer with you" ordered Lt. Barney Peters.

      Jim left Peters office just as his partner Angela Catrella entered the squad room. "Where we off to" she asked as she saw Jim putting on his coat.

      "Not we April, just me" said Corrigan as he explained that he was going to police headquarters and the reason why. April agreed with Lt. Peters that Jim should go with a PBA lawyer.

      Jim put his hands up in surrender and said that he would call a lawyer before he went to police headquarters. He left the building without contacting one though. Instead he once again paid a visit on Red Robin at the Justice Society's brownstone mansion.

      This time the Spectre appeared directly behind Red Robin, who was sitting at the monitor board. Red Robin was aware of the Spectre as soon as he materialized. The Former Boy Wonder was startled to see the Ghostly Guardian again, but neither his face nor body language showed it. "Back again Spectre" he said What can I do for you now?"

      The Spectre did a metamorphic change into Jim Corrigan as Red Robin spoke. "I'm not here as the Spectre Dick. I'm here as Jim Corrigan because I need a lawyer."

      Dick Grayson turned around and Jim Corrigan relayed to hi the events of this morning. After listening Dick said "I'm still stuck here on monitor duty but I'll call Helena and have her meet you at police headquarters."
    • Frank Murdock
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
        Cool. Not familiar with the supporting cast, but you have me still reading.

        /FM

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
          Good chapter, Dave.

          Cheers,