Mirror, Mirror (Pt. 3)

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 6, 2008
      Part 3
      The room in which T.J. awoke was equally dark and equally
      dreadful.

      "Is it really this dark in…wherever I am, or have I suddenly
      gone blind?" he asked.

      "Hopefully," a voice responded, "it is just the darkness,
      because I have been wondering about my own sight."

      "Mr. Lane?" the young man asked.

      "In a situation like this," Lazarus said, "I think we can
      dispense with the politeness. Please, call me Lazarus."

      "I'm Thomas, but my friends call me T.J."

      "T.J. it is," Lazarus said. "I've felt around for Miss Lockhart,
      but I've had no luck in locating her."

      "Hopefully, she with Dr. Occult," T.J. said, suddenly nervous.

      "From what I can tell," Lazarus said, changing the subject, "we
      appear to be in some kind of dungeon."

      T.J. stood, and, with his arms stretched out in front of him,
      walked forward until his hands touched a stone wall. As he felt along
      the wall, he told Lazarus what he was doing. Lazarus held his arms
      out, and walked forward until he, too, was touching a wall. Once the
      two men had located each other, they started off in opposite
      directions, seeing if they could find a door.

      After a couple of seconds, Lazarus spoke. "I think I've found a
      wall sconce."

      T.J. nodded, then realized his cellmate couldn't see what he was
      doing. "I just found one, too. It fells like there is a torch still
      in it."

      The young man tugged the piece of wood out of the sconce. As he
      did so, he felt a slight chill. Running his hand up the wood, T.J.
      let out a yelp and dropped the torch to the floor.

      "What's wrong?" Lazarus asked.

      "It's like I just plunged my hand into the North Atlantic in the
      middle of winter," the young man commented.

      "Look at the floor," Lazarus replied, apparently not concerned
      with his friend's discomfort.

      T.J. looked down, and was surprised by the fact that he was
      actually able to see the floor. It looked as though it was cloaked in
      twilight, but he could make it out, nonetheless. The burned-out torch
      lay just at the edge of a small circle of shadow.

      Lazarus slowly pulled the torch he had found from its sconce as
      well. As he held it up close to his face. Like T.J., he, too, felt a
      chill. On impulse, he let it fall. A small circle of twilight
      appeared at his feet.

      "See if you can find any more of these torches," the man
      said. "If you do, remove them from where they hang and toss them to
      the floor."

      Between the two of them, they found six more of the torches and
      tossed them to the floor. With each dropped torch, the room became
      lighter and light. When the last torch fell, T.J. was finally able to
      see Lazarus.

      "Weird," T.J. said.

      "I seems that these torches produced darkness and cold, rather
      than light and heat," Lazarus replied.

      "Well, at least now we can see each other."

      "We could," Lazarus said, "if you were visible."

      "Sorry," T.J. apologized. "My hood must have ended up over my
      head when we were put in here. Hang on, and I'll…" He went quiet.

      "What's wrong?" Lazarus asked.

      "The hood makes me invisible when I put it on," T.J. said."

      "And?"

      "And, when I went to take it off," T.J.'s voice fell to almost a
      whisper. "Lazarus, I'm not wearing my hood."
    • Frank Murdock
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 24 11:25 PM
        I know, you are introducing his lovely assistant, Miss Ing?

        /FM: Aaaargh!!!! (slaps flat of hand against forehead) That's like that villan from the 60's Spider-man animated show by the name of Doctor Noah Body. He was an invisibility using character also.
        I know, you are introducing his lovely assistant, Miss Ing?

        --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, Drivtaan <drivtaan@...>