Strange Adventures 2

  • christine nightstar
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
      Strange Adventures

      Chapter 2

      It had felt like years since I saw the face staring back at me in the mirror. It had been but
      that's not what I'm referring too. When I had gone to sleep last night, after waking up from
      almost four centuries of sleep, I had wrinkles, crow's feet and more worry lines than I
      should have had, not to mention a good portion of gray hair. When I woke up again I was
      looking at a face that was twenty years past as I saw it.

      The way Bones, the ship's doctor, explained it I had a large amount of chemicals built up
      from my long sleep. These chemicals rejuvenate and regenerate to a certain degree. But as
      I was a middle-aged adult when these chemicals started to build up (while I was in a
      comet of all places) a stop or brake of sorts had prevented me from being rejuvenate
      further back. He says that I still have very large amount built up and it will probably give
      me healing and stamina like I wouldn't believe and possibly prevent me from looking too
      much older for a while yet. He wasn't sure how much I had or if such amount was toxic in
      such large amounts but I knew this… I had one hell of a headache.

      Barret was hard to describe… He didn't talk much at least to me, and he spent a lot of
      time alone in his cabin, except for meals and salvaging. From what I could gather from
      what little contact I had with him the last few days he was unsure about me… I was an
      unknown random element that had been forced into his life and he wasn't sure how to
      deal with me, so he was dumping me off on someone who could. But what I gathered he
      was very disciplined and controlled, containing a storm in mortal flesh… his wording, not
      mine. I couldn't really sense more than tightly kept yet intense, savage emotions from him,
      even with all that had been happening to me. Something about him reminded me of a
      priest or Soldier, possibly the air of self-discipline.

      Majel was the opposite of Barret, she was curiosity personified. She was tearing up the
      Icarus shuttle before I could object. Reading data files, Listening to my music, and asking
      me an ungodly amount of questions. Don't get me wrong she wasn't hyper or manic, and
      she didn't really have a lot of fear concerning much of anything… She was somewhat easy
      to distract, but she wanted to know everything about everything. What bugged me the
      most was she was the most blatant thief I had ever come across… Personal property had
      no meaning for her. But in her defense she struck me as the sort that would give whatever
      she stolen if it would help a friend or crewmate regardless. She also other qualities that
      really contrasted the ones I already named. She had patience and empathy by the bucket,
      not to mention a wit and wisdom that had to be experienced. I don't understand how or
      why Majel and Barret tolerated each other when they were such polar opposites.

      Doctor Boreanz "Bones" as he was called by Majel and Barret had a lot of common sense,
      and he wasn't afraid to speak his mind. One moment he would bring you a bottle of
      whatever alcoholic drink he could lay hands on and bull you no shit, then the next he'd be
      telling you that ethically he couldn't treat a problem a certain way because it against the
      Hippocratic Oath to do no harm. There was part of him that was courtesy and ethics, and
      part of him that was so bigoted that you couldn't believe what he said. He reminded me of
      TV character I saw when I was a kid… Wish I could remember that TV Show.

      Then there was Burns… I hadn't met him in person yet… he refused to talk to me at the
      previous couple of meals since I woke up from the stasis… But there were a lot of things
      that really screamed out from his personality at me… He was paranoid, egotistical,
      sycophantic, cowardice, a little dull witted, and very easy to take an instant dislike to. I
      can't think of any redeeming qualities about him from what I had glimpsed.

      I looked back up into the mirror at my younger face… It had felt like I had spaced off for
      minutes, but it hadn't even been one second yet… What is happening to me?
      ---

      I spent a good six hours after breakfast catching up on the events of nearly four
      centuries… I had never been much of a speed-reader, nor had any photographic memory
      before I woke up… but the way I was going through the history files, was faster than the
      compute could load them onto the screen.

      The Justice Society, Infinity Inc. and Several other Super Hero groups that I knew growing
      up were erased from history altogether. Their contributions in the WW2, Korea, Viet Nam,
      and several other wars weren't even mentioned. The Super Human/ Super hero legacy that
      had gone on strong for nearly a century erased from history.

      I tried searching for the names of several of the heroes who had public Identities… the
      results were no such person existed.

      WW3, which started in 2015 and ended in 2050, seemed to kill all the participants and a
      good fifty percent of the earth's population. A lot of the deaths centered in the more
      densely populated countries. It was during WW3 that the Church of Eternal Illumination
      started to gain prominence. Several other groups also arose and started to take power in
      the wastes.

      World War Four however cemented the Church of Illumination as world's super power.
      Reducing the Earth's population to twenty percent of what it was in 2010. The Earth
      Empire started forming about twenty years after the end of WW4. Uniting the various
      powers all under one banner.

      Certain technologies advanced while others were not. Education was limited to members of
      the Imperial elite and Church of Illumination as well. The public at large wasn't even taught
      to read… Until The Church of Eternal Illumination decided that to prevent over population
      like happened in the 20th -21st centuries they would colonize other worlds. And to do
      that certain allowances had to be made educationally speaking.

      This version of history seems to be so biased to make the Church of Eternal Illumination
      look like the saviors of Earth makes me wonder what really happened…
      Technology was the next thing I looked over there had been a lot of improvements in
      several technologies I was familiar with. A lot of advancements in sensory and defensive
      technologies. While officially there had been very little advancement in offensive
      technologies…officially. Got me thinking…

      In college, I had been a bit of a hacker. Computer Science was one of my stronger areas of
      interest. So I started with what I knew… Computers didn't really change much, at least the
      ones I was dealing with hadn't. Sure they were faster, smaller and infinitely more advanced
      in technical terms… it seemed that somewhere along the line that someone had actually
      worked out artificial intelligence that rivaled human intelligence, Holographic technology
      and Virtual reality hadn't become commonplace but it sure wasn't as uncommon as it had
      been in my time. But some things hadn't changed… their operating system basis.

      Languages evolve and change as new words and slang enter the lexicon, sometimes from
      other languages sometimes from other sources… but they all have common roots that can
      be traced. Operating systems are languages all their own. Finding the common Root is
      easy to do if you know what to look for and I had a tutor nearby to with loads of
      information for me as I started looking around.

      I spent almost a whole day poking around in the computer of the Salvage ship that had
      taken me on. I figured that this wasn't the most advanced system out there and the most
      advanced ones would be probably linked to the military. But it was informative and
      enlightening about the some of he the things that had happened in the past centuries. By
      the time I had finished with the computer there a lot less questions I needed answered
      and several ideas starting to form.
      ---

      By the time we arrived at our destination I was fairly informed as to the events of the last
      centuries… But that didn't mean I was prepared to step off the salvage ship and on to the
      Space station. Things were not what I had expected…

      Something I had taken for a rough statue of a man spoke. When it stood up it was twelve-
      foot tall, roughly proportionate features for the size to that of a human… a well-muscled
      body builder with a definition to make an Olympian god look flabby.

      "Hey Barret, looks like your new friend hasn't been to a Station before." It spoke with a
      voice that was like gravel.

      "I doubt he has… He's a sleeper, Stone. I need to see Sage about him."

      "A sleeper? From what period? Does the government know he's awake?"

      "My Names Cross… I went into Stasis around the early 21st Century… I just woke up a few
      days ago. And why would it matter if the Empire found out I was awake?"

      "Oh Belstsar we are in so deep. I'll tell Sage you're here… You can fill him in on the details
      do you still have the protocol officer with you?"

      "He's on board… Bones has convinced him that he's contagious and is quarantined in his
      quarters for next few days. I also locked down communications relay just in case."

      "Good Idea."

      "Can you tell me what's going on?" I asked…

      "You just got drafted into the Resistance, Cross." Stone said.

      "????"
      ---

      "Bones has said that his brain is working at a capacity that most super computers can't
      match, Sage."

      "I'm aware of his report Barret… but you know my price…"

      "But the Salvage of his ship will keep the Empire off our Colony for another month… we
      already are on probationary status from six months ago."

      "If the Empire gets a hold of those Nebula Rods the Resistance might as well be
      destroyed… The energy that one of those can provide can help us maintain some of the
      old hyperspace space bridges that have kept us just barely ahead of Imperial forces."

      "I'll need something of substance to keep the empire off the colony."

      "What Comet did he come out of?"

      "Comet J-491 which we lost when we salvaged his ship… and found him."

      "His ship and the Nebula Rods are more valuable than you think… But Comet J-491 will be
      crossing Earth Empire Trade Lanes in the Begani sector."

      "Begani… that's a bit out of our jurisdiction even if we weren't freelance."

      "Talk to Sticks, she should have an idea about where else you can meet your quota."

      "I haven't agreed to your terms yet…"

      "Barret, just agree to my terms and trust me… I've kept the Resistance alive and well for
      nearly seventy-five years haven't I?"

      "Do I have a choice?"

      "Not really… Report it as Pirate Raiders outside of this system… it will cast a bit of a
      shadow on New Krypton."

      "Why provoke New Krypton? The Empire has been afraid to act against them for decades."

      "Because New Krypton wants something from Earth and Earth isn't cooperating."

      "What do they want?"

      "Something that Kal-L brought to Earth… The Church may know where it is."

      "I'll get the Sleeper."

      "Thank you, Barret."
      ---

      Have you ever waited to talk to someone for so long that your mind starts to wander, so
      you do things to keep it from drifting? While waiting to talk to Sage… I counted 732 vent
      slots in the vent across from Sage's room. The twenty fans behind that Vent was rotating
      at 300 hundred Rpm for thirty-second intervals, there were five blades on each of the fans
      behind the vent. How I was able to do that in the course of one hour, I have no idea.

      When Barret left the room and told me to go in there I had no idea of what sort of alien or
      whatever I'd see. I slowly walked into the dark room the only light that I could see was
      over an empty chair.

      "Sit down, Sleeper."

      "My name's not Sleeper it's Cross."

      "Forgive my ignorance… now tell me. Who are you?"

      "I just told you…"

      "That is your name… I want to know Who Are you?"

      My head started spinning he was being philosophical with me.

      "I was a sleep until a few days ago, but before that I was Test pilot and shuttle commander
      for N.A.S.A."

      "That is what you were not who you were… and you still haven't answered my question."

      "Well then I don't except maybe a man out of time…"

      "Yes, you are. But before I reveal to you my name or face… We will find out together… and
      you will call me Teacher for now."

      "Who are you then?" I asked.

      "I am called Sage though at one time I did have another name…"

      "You aren't going to tell me are you?"

      "You didn't answer My question now did you?"
      ---

      The Next few months made my all my Air force basic Training, my flight training, and
      space training seem like a cakewalk… Sage put me through a training that made my body
      ache all the way down through the muscles to the bones; in places that I didn't think
      could hurt that intensely or completely. Ouch doesn't seem to cover the pain my body
      went through… too broad and inadequate… On the good side I started learning more
      about my new abilities... the Clairvoyance and Clairaudience are still a bit hard to control.
      But I have focused enough to give myself a sort of danger sense… Joy.
    • Frank Murdock
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
        Interesting story thus far. I have to ask though since I'm not really up on my E2 DCU History -- is Cross somebody I should recognize or is he new for this story?

        Thanks and good job so far.

        Sincerely,

        /FM:

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2007
          Adrian Cross was made up for this story... but I have been taking alot of personality traits
          from other characters I have read about recently... Archie Goodwin from Nero Wolfe
          Mysteries and Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files...I'm not done with adding new
          characters either. Cross is getting an adversary, superheroic Name (which you'll probably
          recognize), and SideKick all in the next chapter. Yes there's some Buck Rogers and Flash
          Gordon thrown into his mix for good measure.... :P Chrissie

          --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Murdock" <bytor84@...> wrote:

          > Interesting story thus far. I have to ask though since I'm not really up on my E2 DCU
          History -- is Cross somebody I should recognize or is he new for this story?

          > Thanks and good job so far.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > /FM:

        • ddswanson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2007
            Chrissie, your use of familiar names drawn from other sources detracts
            from the story for me. You put Majel and Barret and Bones into the
            same paragraph and instead of thinking about Chrissie's story, my mind
            wanders to various other venues.

            Dan

            --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "christine nightstar"