Legion of Justice - Chapter 10: Invasion - Utopia

  • ddswanson
    Message 1 of 97 , Aug 4, 2007
      The 4 Legionnaires observed the valiant Aurora's desperate last battle
      from aboard the Hot Rod, a nanosecond in the future.

      "C'mon, Tommy, let's get a move on!" Rex was sweating. "I can't hide
      this boat for long…" Holding the 30' pinnace uptime was pushing his
      power to his limits.

      But Tommy was already diving the Hot Rod Earthwards at maximum safe
      velocity (or maybe a little bit faster). The ceramic hull of the boat
      was heating up as they entered Earth's atmosphere at meteoric speed.
      Chemique was directing him towards the Atlantic Ocean.

      'Weather monitors show a nasty storm about a hundred miles off the
      coast of New Jersey. I wish it were a little closer to Gunderson"
      formerly the District of Columbia "but it will do."

      "It will HAVE to… do" Rex managed to get out.

      "Hold on, Rex!" Tommy tried to assure his teammate. "5 Minutes, max!"

      Even Rand, who was perhaps the best pilot in the Legion (though, Hawk
      Lad would have argued about that) was impressed with Tommy's skill as
      he brought the Hot Rod down through the atmosphere into the storm.
      From orbit to hovering in a violent thunderstorm in under 5 minutes
      was no mean feat - even with extra-solar technology. The inertial
      dampeners were the only thing that made it possible - the little ship
      must have pulled 50 Gs a couple of times during the dive and
      subsequent pull-up. Suddenly, the Hot Rod was hovering motionless in
      a steamy fog in the center of a raging thunderstorm, rain flashing to
      vapor as it struck the ship's now ultraheated ceramic hull.

      Motionless? A relative term. Compared to orbital velocity, compared
      to the mad dash from orbit to their current station, the Hot Rod was
      now dead still. But even extra-solar technology couldn't totally
      ignore or compensate for the raging winds inside this fierce storm.
      Despite the best efforts of the autopilot, ably aided by the human
      pilot, the Hot Rod swayed and pitched, yawed and rolled like a balloon
      tethered in front of a ventilation fan. They couldn't plunge into the
      ocean until the hull had cooled off.

      Tommy was far too busy trying to smooth out the hover to notice the
      effect of this pitching and rolling on his teammates, who were
      struggling against motion sickness. Rex, who had dropped them back to
      real time the instant they entered the storm, was floating his chair
      independently of the Hot Rod, which worked OK for the smaller bounces
      and jolts, but when the pinnace instantly jumped a good distance in a
      random direction, which it did often, the protective force field
      around his chair would jar off of the bulkheads. The little movements
      didn't affect him, while the big ones were worse for him than his

      Miqui was able to slow down her metabolism to the point where she was
      barely affected by the ship's rapid movements, though by doing this,
      she also drastically slowed down her mental processes. She hoped she
      wouldn't have to make any snap judgments in the near future; any
      emergency situation would be long resolved by the time she had made up
      her mind about a course of action!

      The Legionnaire having the hardest time with his stomach was Rand -
      who would have been fine if he had been doing the piloting. As it
      was, he was concentrating desperately on his reputation as the
      Legion's tough guy who could handle anything. They'd change his code
      name to 'Flash' if he couldn't handle this, he just knew it. And
      they'd make sure every girl he ever met for the next 20 years would
      hear this story, over and over again!

      The volume of rain cascading around the hovering spaceship quickly
      lowered the hull temperature to under boiling, and Rand was still
      (barely) in control of his stomach when Tommy finally splashed them
      down into the ocean. 15 feet under, the violent motions began to
      abate, and his teammates started returning to normal. Tommy had been
      concentrating so fiercely he hadn't noticed any discomfort. He
      quickly took them down to 200 feet and got them moving slowly towards
      shore, then put the Hot Rod on autopilot and started checking his
      other instruments.

      Rex was giving his brother a hard time. "Geez, you need a new costume
      designer. The blue and yellow uniform doesn't go well at all with the
      green face!"

      Rand didn't even feel well enough to respond. Instead, he turned his
      attention to the Hot Rod's instrument panel and started shutting down
      the systems that weren't useful in this environment - and turning on
      the few that would be helpful now, such as the sonar. Designed to
      penetrate the very thick atmospheres of gas giants, it should serve
      them just as well in the oceans of Earth. And concentration on these
      tasks helped him forget his queasy stomach.

      After a few anxious minutes, Tommy made the announcement everyone was
      waiting for. "Well, I wouldn't want to do this every day - the Hot
      Rod is a spaceship, not a submarine. But the hull is handling the
      pressure just fine, the inertial engines work well enough, and life
      support will hold up for as long as we plan to be submerged."

      "And the sonar picture is almost as good as being able to see" Rand

      "I sure wouldn't want to be outside in this sludge!" Chemique's voice
      radiated emphatic disgust. She was sensing the chemical composition
      of the fluid outside. "It's like we're in a sewer!"

      "I've heard that the water is cleaner closer to the surface" Rex
      offered. "We're deep enough to be cruising through the accumulated
      waste products of our civilization, dumped into the ocean for 500
      years. Yuck!"

      "OK, time to get to work. Rand?" Mique changed the subject.

      Hour Boy smiled. "You won't even know I was gone, see?" His position
      shifted slightly, the only indication that he had just spent an hour
      in the past as a phantom, spying on government installations.

      "I checked out several Amgov radar installations along the Jersey
      coast, as well as the observation station at the military spaceport on
      Fire Island - and nobody noticed us."

      There was a chance that Amgov maintained some secret space observation
      facilities along the coast, but Rand didn't know those secret
      locations, so he had checked as many known facilities as he could
      reach in an hour in his phantom form. It was the best they could do.

      "OK, since we seem to be undetected, we'll go with Plan A." Chemique

      A few hours cruising and they entered Delaware Bay, where they had to
      be more careful. Their stealth systems would hide them from the sonar
      of any surface vessels, and this was a busy shipping port. It
      wouldn't do for a cargo ship to hit an invisible, sonar-proof
      obstruction. Chemique quickly moved them to Plan A Prime. They
      dropped to the bottom and waited a couple of hours for dark. As they
      passed the time, Miqui and Tommy proved to be an unbeatable team at
      euchre, and Rex had a flair for bridge, regardless of who he paired
      with. Soon enough, it was time to continue the mission.

      Rex concentrated and moved the Hot Rod uptime. Tommy flipped a switch
      and the autopilot took over, raising them from Delaware Bay, flashing
      across the Upper Chesapeake Peninsula, then down again into Crab Alley
      Bay near Kent Island, much faster than Tommy could have done it. Rex
      hardly had time to complain, when the signal came that it was safe for
      him to return them to normal time. The water here was much cleaner -
      though still not clean enough to swim in. Fortunately they didn't
      have to.

      One again, Rand dove back into the past, this time scouting the nearby
      island as a phantom, and almost immediately found what they needed.
      An abandoned estate with a large boathouse. Shortly thereafter the
      Hot Rod was safely hidden inside the boathouse. The estate had once
      been home to a rich family, but after centuries of Amgov, there was no
      longer a wealthy class. The immense taxes the producer class had to
      pay had soon driven this family into one of the slums with all the
      other producers. Some entitled had lived her for a while, but
      entitled didn't work - even to do maintenance - and the place had
      fallen into such disrepair that even the entitled wouldn't live here
      any longer. Even to the politically and socially naïve Legionnaires,
      the fallen estate pointed out the irony of their mission - they were
      trying to save this timeline, meaning, save Amgov.

      "What they would bring about is even worse than Amgov" Miqui was
      constantly reassuring her teammates. Tommy, who had been pretty much
      enslaved into the Legion Academy when his powers manifested, and Rex,
      whose body had been destroyed on Amgov orders, found this to be a very
      thin rationalization. Canary had prepared her for this eventuality,
      however. Miqui showed her teammates a video Canary had recorded
      before they left - just in case.

      "Once we've stopped Savage and Mekanique" Canary promised "the Legion
      of Justice will begin working with the underground in the Utopian
      States of America to topple Amgov. We'll finally live up to our name.
      So, pick up as many Amgov secrets as you safely can without
      compromising your main mission."

      As Canary had know it would be, this was just the impetus the Stealth
      Squad needed to regain their enthusiasm. Time to get started on their
    • ddswanson
      Message 97 of 97 , Jan 2, 2008
        Yeah, it did get a little long, didn't it? thanks for the nice words.
        Happy New Year!

        --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, Drivtaan <drivtaan@...>
        > Congratulations on completing one of the longest chapters in
        history. You've done a great job filling us in on the goings-on of the
        E-2 version of the Legion. Keep the stories coming.