Re: Your favorite DC Title...and when..

  • mcmaenza
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, canarywind@a... wrote:

      > Mine is JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA...from about 1972 through
      CRISIS..after
      > that I gave up...Vibe? Come on man!!!

      Robert, JLofA was my favorite too - from the early days through the
      Crisis. I scoff a lot at the current form of the team. Big 7? Needs
      more than that to be a League! I'm hoping Infinite Crisis restores
      this group to the former glory it had. Satellite years all the way!

      Martin
    • libbylawrence
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        I'd say my favorite DC title was All-Star Squadron during most of its
        run. I think Crisis ruined it.
      • Dan Swanson
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
          The Adult Legion was a great story, although the artwork sucked. It
          was very good up until the issue in which they blew up the Earth.

          I always felt that was cheating. They set up a really complex story
          with tons of interesting threads and subplots and just when you were
          wondering how they could possibly resolve everything, and looking
          forward to the expected new twists and turns, the blow up everything
          which 'resolves' all the threads and subplots at the same time. Well,
          actually, kills them without any resolution at all. I didn't even
          mind losing Superboy and Supergirl (much) as the rest of the story was
          so well done. Of course, the art was terrible. And I never did
          figure out if Thom actually made it with Lu or not...

          My other favorite title was Justice Machine at Comico. My all time
          favorite character is Talisman. At least, Talisman in the Comico run.
          I've always wanted to use a character like Talisman in a story, but
          to me, he was so unique that I can't figure out a way to write a
          character like him without ripping him off.

          Some favorite memories...

          "Oh, sure, let the lucky guy throw the bomb!"

          or the bad guys threatening to shoot Talisman in order to coerce
          Challenger to do something - and he says "OK, go ahead, see if I
          care!" and Talisman is totally shocked... and of course, the bad guys
          shoot Talisman - and the rest of the JM takes advantage of the ensuing
          disaster to wipe them out.

          The otherworld crossover at Parallel Park with the Hero Alliance

          Dan
        • Ernie Ball
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
            Big fan of the All-Star Squadron, and all of the Justice League/Justice Society team-up issues. Basically, any of the pre-Crisis appearance of the Golden Age heroes.

            Out of the stuff DC is doing now, I like JSA, JLA, Teen Titans, Outsiders, Aquaman, Hawkman, Birds of Prey, and the new Legion of Super-Heroes. Out of these, LSH seems to be creeping towards the forefront.

            Driv

          • starsky_hutch76
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
              I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked Giffen's Legion.
              I agree that blowing up the earth sucked. I'd kept waiting for things
              to get back to normal and they continued to make that more impossible
              by doing things like blowing up the earth and then having Glorith
              srew with everyone's ages.

              --- In screw things theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Dan
              Swanson" <ddswanson@c...> wrote:

              > The Adult Legion was a great story, although the artwork sucked. It
              > was very good up until the issue in which they blew up the Earth.
              >
              > I always felt that was cheating. They set up a really complex story
              > with tons of interesting threads and subplots and just when you were
              > wondering how they could possibly resolve everything, and looking
              > forward to the expected new twists and turns, the blow up everything
              > which 'resolves' all the threads and subplots at the same time.
              Well,
              > actually, kills them without any resolution at all. I didn't even
              > mind losing Superboy and Supergirl (much) as the rest of the story
              was
              > so well done. Of course, the art was terrible. And I never did
              > figure out if Thom actually made it with Lu or not...
              >
              > My other favorite title was Justice Machine at Comico. My all time
              > favorite character is Talisman. At least, Talisman in the Comico
              run.
              > I've always wanted to use a character like Talisman in a story, but
              > to me, he was so unique that I can't figure out a way to write a
              > character like him without ripping him off.
              >
              > Some favorite memories...
              >
              > "Oh, sure, let the lucky guy throw the bomb!"
              >
              > or the bad guys threatening to shoot Talisman in order to coerce
              > Challenger to do something - and he says "OK, go ahead, see if I
              > care!" and Talisman is totally shocked... and of course, the bad
              guys
              > shoot Talisman - and the rest of the JM takes advantage of the
              ensuing
              > disaster to wipe them out.
              >
              > The otherworld crossover at Parallel Park with the Hero Alliance
              >
              > Dan

            • Dan Swanson
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                --- In theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, starsky_hutch76
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked Giffen's Legion.
                > I agree that blowing up the earth sucked. I'd kept waiting for things
                > to get back to normal and they continued to make that more impossible
                > by doing things like blowing up the earth and then having Glorith
                > srew with everyone's ages.

                I never expected things to get back to normal, but I hoped to see the
                various plots play out, like, who were the clones and what's it like
                to have to deal with another version of yourself (younger or older)
                and how did they deal with the moon blowing up and all the power
                spheres blowing up, etc, and they just gave up on all of those things.
                It was, to me, one of the most blatant cases of deus ex machina I've
                ever seen. Write yourself into a corner and then blow up the world?

                Funny story about that series, well, funny to me. I bought them all
                up until just after the Earth blew up but I missed a couple issues
                (Issue 3 was particularly hard to find later, too!) Maybe 10 years
                later, after I got married, my wife and I were shopping in a job lot
                store, and they had comic books. I don't know where they got them,
                but they had one of the issues of the Adult Legion that I was missing.
                So I bought one and took it home and darned if I wasn't in the
                Letters column! In all my life, I've written to a comic once, and
                there it was. (And it said, 'Great story, crappy art')

                Dan

                > --- In screw things theJSAallstarstorysite@yahoogroups.com, "Dan
                > Swanson" <ddswanson@c...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The Adult Legion was a great story, although the artwork sucked. It
                > > was very good up until the issue in which they blew up the Earth.
                > >
                > > I always felt that was cheating. They set up a really complex story
                > > with tons of interesting threads and subplots and just when you were
                > > wondering how they could possibly resolve everything, and looking
                > > forward to the expected new twists and turns, the blow up everything
                > > which 'resolves' all the threads and subplots at the same time.
                > Well,
                > > actually, kills them without any resolution at all. I didn't even
                > > mind losing Superboy and Supergirl (much) as the rest of the story
                > was
                > > so well done. Of course, the art was terrible. And I never did
                > > figure out if Thom actually made it with Lu or not...
                > >
                > > My other favorite title was Justice Machine at Comico. My all time
                > > favorite character is Talisman. At least, Talisman in the Comico
                > run.
                > > I've always wanted to use a character like Talisman in a story, but
                > > to me, he was so unique that I can't figure out a way to write a
                > > character like him without ripping him off.
                > >
                > > Some favorite memories...
                > >
                > > "Oh, sure, let the lucky guy throw the bomb!"
                > >
                > > or the bad guys threatening to shoot Talisman in order to coerce
                > > Challenger to do something - and he says "OK, go ahead, see if I
                > > care!" and Talisman is totally shocked... and of course, the bad
                > guys
                > > shoot Talisman - and the rest of the JM takes advantage of the
                > ensuing
                > > disaster to wipe them out.
                > >
                > > The otherworld crossover at Parallel Park with the Hero Alliance
                > >
                > > Dan

              • medkids_2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
                  Mine was Batman before it hit#400. Still like Batman, but the stories
                  were better and he wasn't so cold