Re: [The 6000 Club] 1990 6000 LE Front bench seats

  • Shawn Rowland
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003
      Not sure on the adjustment--if it's even possible. MY 87 LE had the same problem though. I ended up just pulling the bench out & going with buckets from my wrecked 91 Bonnville instead. Seat bolted right in. Had to modify the lower section of my seat belts...but that wasn't tuff.

    • Fred C Young
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2003
        RE: Seat reclining back.

        The bench seat and possibly the split 60-40 seat do not recline. If you
        have power seat, it should recline. The control is either on the
        outboard end of the seat between the top of the seat cushion and the seat
        rail OR on some of the later 6000s I believe they moved them to the front
        of the seat between the top of the seat cushion and the floor (in area
        where driver left calf muscle would be).

        Some 6000s had manual recliners with a flip lever on the outboard side of
        the seat. Flipping the bar would release a clamping device that wrapped
        around a metal rod. Over time the clamping device (poorly engineered in
        my opinion) would lose its ability to clamp and the seatback would
        gradually go to reclining position by it self over a period of several
        minutes (not so worn clamp) to those that would not hold any position
        (badly worn clamp)

        I saw some 6000s with bent seatback frames from heavy duty (overweight)
        guys sitting in them. These guys would lean back on the backrest to gain
        clearance between their stomachs and the steering wheel or would stretch
        back to relieve stress and stress the seatback frame. I have even seen
        several frames stressed to the point of metal fatigue and cracks.

        In any event, the lack of lever or switch on any vertical seat panel as
        described above would indicate that you have fixed backrests.

        Fred Young
        '86 STE

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com
      • webserf2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2003
          Ok, now that I've ascertained that the backs aren't adjustable, I've
          got another question pertaining to my original question. What
          years/models of 6000 or other similar Pontiac car has the same seat
          mounting as my '90 6000 LE? I want to look around at salvage yards to
          see if I can find a set of split benches or other seat with an
          adjustable back rest. Also, as far as the power seats, what kind of
          wiring is involved with them? I'm curious as to whether it's easy or
          even possible to run a wire to the seats so that I would be able to
          have power seats if I found a set of power seats in a salvage yard.

          Thanks.
        • Peter T
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2003
            i'm curious as well. i would like to know if the
            88-91 bonneville SSE power seats would fit and if
            power seats would work in my 86 STE. both front seats
            are powered. if these seats fit in all 6000's i would
            recommend them instead (also more availability)

            --- webserf2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > Ok, now that I've ascertained that the backs aren't
            > adjustable, I've
            > got another question pertaining to my original
            > question. What
            > years/models of 6000 or other similar Pontiac car
            > has the same seat
            > mounting as my '90 6000 LE? I want to look around at
            > salvage yards to
            > see if I can find a set of split benches or other
            > seat with an
            > adjustable back rest. Also, as far as the power
            > seats, what kind of
            > wiring is involved with them? I'm curious as to
            > whether it's easy or
            > even possible to run a wire to the seats so that I
            > would be able to
            > have power seats if I found a set of power seats in
            > a salvage yard.
            >
            > Thanks.

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Jeff Ianitello
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2003
              I have a set of gray buckets from my 90 S/E that I will sell cheap. The driver side is power. You only need to add a relay and two wires, very simple job, and I would include those parts with the seats. They are in o.k. condition, not perfect, but not ripped up either. I can send pictures. E-mail me privately for more info.

              Jeff Ianitello
              Engineered Performance
              1784 Corn Rd. Suite D
              Smyrna, GA. 30080
              770-434-0051
              www.engineered.net

            • fyoung7803@juno.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2003
                SEATS for the 6000

                The 6000 has the GM "A" body platform (floor pan). In theory any seat from the 1983-90 "A" Body cars should fit without modification. The "A" body cars are Chevy Celebrity, Pontiac 6000, Buick Skylark. I don't recall the Olds lineup of "A" body cars.

                Fred Youing
                1986 STE

                Only $9.95 per month!
                Visit www.juno.com
              • fyoung7803@juno.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2003
                  RE: Seats in 6000

                  Regarding my earlier post. The "A" body cars run in production from about 1983 through the end of production, which is 1990 or 1991, I'm not sure which.

                  The floorpan of the Bonneville is different. I think this is the "B" body platform.

                  You can tell the car platform by the FOURTH character in the vehicle identification number (VIN).

                  For examble in the VIN beginning with 2G2AH.... The first character is 2 and represents the country code (in this case Canada), the second character is G and represents the manufacturer (in this case General Motors), The third character represents the manufacturer's division (in this case Pontiac), the fourth character rrepresents the car's platform (in this case GM's "A" body), and the fifth character is H and represents the body style (in this case a 4-door sedan).

                  Thus 1980's through early 90s GM vehicle with the VIN's fourth character as an "A" SHOULD have a seat that fits your 6000.

                  Fred

                  Only $9.95 per month!
                  Visit www.juno.com
                • Jeff Ianitello
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2003
                    FYI, the Buick Skylark was available to fleet buyers as late as 1994 or '95. As Ripley would say, Believe It... or Not!

                    And it was the Olds Cutlass Ciera.

                    Jeff Ianitello
                    Engineered Performance
                    1784 Corn Rd. Suite D
                    Smyrna, GA. 30080
                    770-434-0051
                    www.engineered.net

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Be advised that not all power seats have the recliner feature. My '87
                      LE had the 60/40 split bench with a power driver's seat, but no
                      recliner. Why no recliner? It was something I could never figure out.
                      I could adjust the forward/rearward tilt of the seat a couple inches
                      either way, but it could not recline. The passenger seat had only the
                      basic back and forth adjustment with the familiar lever under the
                      seat. It was kinda neat to have the split bench. I could always get
                      comfortable in it. Plus it had a nice, thickly padded armrest and a
                      seat belt for a 6th passenger. You could just fold up the armrest and
                      voila--room for 6 people in a pinch. The power controls were on the
                      left side of the seat, between the seat and the door if that makes
                      any difference.

                      My friend used to drive an Olds Ciera ('93 I believe) that had the
                      split bench and *power* recliners for both driver and passenger. The
                      recliners were sloooowww, but the seat backs were infinitely
                      adjustable. I think it had a power driver's seat too.

                      I would think any year 6000 seats would fit in yours. I'm guessing
                      other GM A-body seats would also fit. The A-bodies include the Chevy
                      Celebrity, Olds Cutlass Ciera, Buick Century, and of course the 6000.
                      I'd try to find 6000 seats first, since the design and fabric will
                      most closely match your car's interior.

                      Try to find a power seat with the controls built into the seat. Some
                      GM cars have the controls on the door. With this setup you'd be
                      swapping out a bunch of wiring, plus you'd have to find some place to
                      mount the switches in your car.