Re: [The 6000 Club] 1985 2.8 Crankshaft Replacement

  • Jeff Ianitello
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
      Unfortunately, no. To get the smallest breaker bar in there, you will need to move the transmission back farther than the length of the bellhousing bolts, so they will have to be removed completely. The left side axle will also have to come out to move the trans. that far. the trans mounts have to be unbolted, there is a brace on the back side, you will run the risk of popping the right side cv axle out of it joint. I hate to paint such a bleak picture, but this is the case. If it was a RWD, the lower bellhousing is cut out and this job is much easier.

      Jeff Ianitello
      Engineered Performance
      1784 Corn Rd. Suite D
      Smyrna, GA. 30080
      770-434-0051
      www.engineered.net

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
        Jeff,
        Found another way to get the crankshaft & flywheel out. While looking at it the other day it dawned on me - everything was already off of the timing gear side of the engine. I did not have to move the transmission back - instead I could move the engine toward the passenger side - away from the transmission - same result. I had to unbolt the support bracket between the engine & drive axle on the back of the motor but that was a lot less work than having to take the whole trans axle out! It worked fine - it was a little tight getting the bolts out of the flywheel without a ratchet wrench but I was able to get them.

        Thanks for your help & comments along the way - by the way - nice looking cars on your site!
        Joe

      • Jeff Ianitello
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
          I'm glad you got it out. Good luck with the reassembly!

          Jeff Ianitello
          Engineered Performance
          1784 Corn Rd. Suite D
          Smyrna, GA. 30080
          770-434-0051
          www.engineered.net

          Found another way to get the crankshaft & flywheel out. While looking at it the other day it dawned on me - everything was already off of the timing gear side of the engine. I did not have to move the transmission back - instead I could move the engine toward the passenger side - away from the transmission - same result. I had to unbolt the support bracket between the engine & drive axle on the back of the motor but that was a lot less work than having to take the whole trans axle out! It worked fine - it was a little tight getting the bolts out of the flywheel without a ratchet wrench but I was able to get them.

          Thanks for your help & comments along the way - by the way - nice looking cars on your site!
          Joe

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor