starter or solenoid?

  • gwlogue@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
      Had problems getting my sons 1985 Pontiac 6000 started. Ended up replacing rotor, distributor cap, wires and plugs. Started great.

      However, during the process of trying to get it going he cranked the starter for a minute or more many times. There were no obvious problems until we finally got it running but after that the starter doesn't always 'catch', (it will buzz, or crank for a few seconds then buzz).

      I'm guessing the excessive cranking has damaged something but I'm not sure if it is the starter or the solenoid or????

      He is a struggling university student and I don't have the means to help him financially. Should we go for a complete starter and solenoid replacement?

      Thanks
    • SAMUEL DONAHUE
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
        check battery and connections first if possible swap with another battery could be dead cell in battery or coroided  terninal on battery or where cable attachs to starter

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
          Battery is fine. Lots of charge. It was new a couple of months ago. Turns
          over great until the starter buzzes. Tried connecting to another vehicle as
          well just in case. Same problem.

          ...george

          --- On Mon, 1/4/10, gwlogue@rogers. <mailto:gwlogue%40rogers.com> com

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
            it could be solinoid washer you would have to take starter off if you dont have money for new solinoid I have taken cover off where starter batery cabke goes on solinoid  turn washer inside over so good side contacts studs then test of floor with a couple jumper cables if works ok reinstall on car

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
              He can find the money if it's needed. The concern is not to spend the money
              on a complete starter/solenoid replacement if only the solenoid is needed.
              I'm assuming the solenoid is cheaper and is a part that can be bought
              separately.

              ...george

              --- On Mon, 1/4/10, George Logue <gwlogue@rogers.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 5, 2010
                  It sounds like the washer ring in the starter has gone bad from excessive starter motor engagement time. I personally would replace the whole starter, and I would go find a junkyard starter motor, from any 2001+ FWD V-6 GM. Its a newer design, smaller, lighter, less power draw, more TQ.

                  Good Luck
                  Brian

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 5, 2010
                    2001 or newer starters will fit a 1985 Pontiac?

                    ...george

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 8, 2010
                      Sorry for the long wait in a reply, work and all that, but yes, as long as you have a v-6 motor, it will. The 3100,3400, and 3500. One of the guys on another forum I am on says even the 3800 starter will work. But I have not tried that one. The only catch is this, SOME engines have required the shims, the ones you take off from the old starter, to go on with the new starter. But most wont require the shims. The people that I have known to do this upgrade use the tell tale sound that a starter makes when it needs shims. I hope you know the sound that I am talking about..

                      Brian

                      ________________________________

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 9, 2010
                        I think the sound you are referring to is the buzzing sound when the starter does not engage the flywheel? It is the sound I'm getting now.

                        I do not want to use the tire jack that came with the car so I am going to buy some jack stands. Where do I place them? Anyplace that looks solid or is there a recomended location?

                        Thanks

                        --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, Brian R <lapurr_n_smurf@...> wrote:

                        > Sorry for the long wait in a reply, work and all that, but yes, as long as you have a v-6 motor, it will. The 3100,3400, and 3500. One of the guys on another forum I am on says even the 3800 starter will work. But I have not tried that one. The only catch is this, SOME engines have required the shims, the ones you take off from the old starter, to go on with the new starter. But most wont require the shims. The people that I have known to do this upgrade use the tell tale sound that a starter makes when it needs shims. I hope you know the sound that I am talking about..
                        >
                        > Brian
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Brian R
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 9, 2010
                          underneath the car, behind the front wheels, you will see a bolt that goes thru the engine cradle. This is usually where I place mine. Not on the bolt, but on the metal framing of the engine cradle near the bolt.

                          Brian

                          ________________________________

                        • gwlogue@rogers.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 10, 2010
                            I'm under the vehicle but I can't get to the long bolt on the starter. It is directly behind a large metal brace that the engine is bolted to. There is also a plastic cover that goes over an access hole to the flywheel teeth. I have looseded it and can work around it but it is not making thigs any easier.

                            Is there a trick to getting at the bolt?

                          • Brian R
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 10, 2010
                              I have never been able to get to the bolt with just a socket and a ratchet. Usually I have to get to it with a short socket, a 6 inch extension, and then ratchet, and even then its tight. Another thing to do is to take the front dog bone motor mount off, and then somehow wrench the motor foward, and after you have it foward, go back underneath and get to the bolt. A ratchet strap of some sort usually works best for wrenching the motor foward.

                              Brian

                              ________________________________
                              I'm under the vehicle but I can't get to the long bolt on the starter. It is directly behind a large metal brace that the engine is bolted to. There is also a plastic cover that goes over an access hole to the flywheel teeth. I have looseded it and can work around it but it is not making thigs any easier.

                              Is there a trick to getting at the bolt?

                              --- In the6000club@ yahoogroups. com, Brian R <lapurr_n_smurf@ ...> wrote:

                              > underneath the car, behind the front wheels, you will see a bolt that goes thru the engine cradle. This is usually where I place mine. Not on the bolt, but on the metal framing of the engine cradle near the bolt.
                              >
                              > Brian
                              >

                              > ____________ _________ _________ __

                            • George Logue
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 10, 2010
                                I got to the bolt with a 15mm box end wrench. Took a lot of turns at 1/8
                                turn each time but it is off.

                                The solenoid on the old starter has 3 electrical connectors but the new one
                                only has 2?

                                The 2 connectors on the new starter are labelled R and S. The old starter
                                only has S. Safe to say I ignore the R connector on the new starter?

                                ...george

                                I'm under the vehicle but I can't get to the long bolt on the starter. It is
                                directly behind a large metal brace that the engine is bolted to. There is
                                also a plastic cover that goes over an access hole to the flywheel teeth. I
                                have looseded it and can work around it but it is not making thigs any
                                easier.

                                Is there a trick to getting at the bolt?

                                --- In the6000club@ yahoogroups. com, Brian R <lapurr_n_smurf@ ...> wrote:

                                > underneath the car, behind the front wheels, you will see a bolt that goes
                                thru the engine cradle. This is usually where I place mine. Not on the bolt,
                                but on the metal framing of the engine cradle near the bolt.

                                > Brian
                                >

                                > ____________ _________ _________ __

                              • Brian R
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 10, 2010
                                  Yeap. Did you go with the newer style starter, or going with a exact replacement?

                                  Brian

                                  ________________________________

                                  I'm under the vehicle but I can't get to the long bolt on the starter. It is
                                  directly behind a large metal brace that the engine is bolted to. There is
                                  also a plastic cover that goes over an access hole to the flywheel teeth. I
                                  have looseded it and can work around it but it is not making thigs any
                                  easier.

                                  Is there a trick to getting at the bolt?

                                  --- In the6000club@ yahoogroups. com, Brian R <lapurr_n_smurf@ ...> wrote:

                                  > underneath the car, behind the front wheels, you will see a bolt that goes
                                  thru the engine cradle. This is usually where I place mine. Not on the bolt,
                                  but on the metal framing of the engine cradle near the bolt.

                                  > Brian
                                  >

                                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                • George Logue
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 10, 2010
                                    rebuilt from Canadian Tire

                                    ...george

                                    I'm under the vehicle but I can't get to the long bolt on the starter. It is
                                    directly behind a large metal brace that the engine is bolted to. There is
                                    also a plastic cover that goes over an access hole to the flywheel teeth. I
                                    have looseded it and can work around it but it is not making thigs any
                                    easier.

                                    Is there a trick to getting at the bolt?

                                    --- In the6000club@ yahoogroups. com, Brian R <lapurr_n_smurf@ ...> wrote:

                                    > underneath the car, behind the front wheels, you will see a bolt that goes
                                    thru the engine cradle. This is usually where I place mine. Not on the bolt,
                                    but on the metal framing of the engine cradle near the bolt.

                                    > Brian

                                  • George Logue
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 10, 2010
                                      New starter works. Car flooded. Son is afraid to crank the starter in case
                                      he burns this one out.

                                      ...george