Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

5-speed AWD A Body/Long

Expand Messages
  • Arthur Floyd
    Okay; I need everyone s feedback. Especially the AWD 6000 people. I want to build a 5-speed AWD 6000. I have spent part of my afternoon with an AWD 6000
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2006
      Okay; I need everyone's feedback. Especially the AWD 6000 people.
      I want to build a 5-speed AWD 6000. I have spent part of my afternoon with an AWD 6000 transmission/transfer case side by side with a Getrag manual 5-speed.
      I have a 1989 Beretta 5-speed transmission. I just purchased all the parts from another 5-speed a body. There is room in AWD 6000 to install the clutch pedal & hydraulic cylinder.
      The reason I choose to use the Beretta 5-speed is it already is machined for a drive shaft extension that goes on the passenger's side to give equal length driveshafts. The AWD 6000 also uses equal length driveshafts. The 87-88' 5-speed A body driver's side driveshaft is the same length as the 6000's (As is the 1989 Berretta's) Use the A body drivers side driveshaft and inner CV joint and put the 6000's Outer CV on the shaft. You now have two equal length JA2 driveshafts that fit the 5-speed Getrag on the driver's side and the AWD transfer case on the passengers side.
      All you need is an adapter (About 8 inches long) to be bolted between the 5-speed Berretta transmission and the AWD transfer case. My father is a machinist and mechanic with over 50 years experience (plus some patents) and on occasion has been bribed into fabbing custom parts. He has volunteered to machine the adapter out of billet. All he asked was to have the AWD transmission and 5-speed transmission brought to his shop. Later he wants the rest of the car to be able to drop the subframe and check for fitment of the finished drivetrain.
      What do you think? The AWD 3 speed auto is a heavy transmission. Chevy built an AWD Beretta so I think this will work. gmawdguy




      ---------------------------------
      Yahoo! Photos
      Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • grayasskitty
      There was a website I came across awhile back that showed the complete internal workings of the 6000 AWD tranny. I think ste89awd put it up. Send him an
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
        There was a website I came across awhile back that showed the
        complete internal workings of the 6000 AWD tranny. I think ste89awd
        put it up. Send him an email, he knows more about the AWD system
        than anyone I know of.


        --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Floyd <gmawdguy@y...>
        wrote:
        >
        > Okay; I need everyone's feedback. Especially the AWD 6000
        people.
        > I want to build a 5-speed AWD 6000. I have spent part of my
        afternoon with an AWD 6000 transmission/transfer case side by side
        with a Getrag manual 5-speed.
        > I have a 1989 Beretta 5-speed transmission. I just purchased
        all the parts from another 5-speed a body. There is room in AWD 6000
        to install the clutch pedal & hydraulic cylinder.
        > The reason I choose to use the Beretta 5-speed is it already is
        machined for a drive shaft extension that goes on the passenger's
        side to give equal length driveshafts. The AWD 6000 also uses equal
        length driveshafts. The 87-88' 5-speed A body driver's side
        driveshaft is the same length as the 6000's (As is the 1989
        Berretta's) Use the A body drivers side driveshaft and inner CV joint
        and put the 6000's Outer CV on the shaft. You now have two equal
        length JA2 driveshafts that fit the 5-speed Getrag on the driver's
        side and the AWD transfer case on the passengers side.
        > All you need is an adapter (About 8 inches long) to be bolted
        between the 5-speed Berretta transmission and the AWD transfer case.
        My father is a machinist and mechanic with over 50 years experience
        (plus some patents) and on occasion has been bribed into fabbing
        custom parts. He has volunteered to machine the adapter out of
        billet. All he asked was to have the AWD transmission and 5-speed
        transmission brought to his shop. Later he wants the rest of the car
        to be able to drop the subframe and check for fitment of the finished
        drivetrain.
        > What do you think? The AWD 3 speed auto is a heavy
        transmission. Chevy built an AWD Beretta so I think this will
        work. gmawdguy
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Photos
        > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events,
        holidays, whatever.
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • Arthur Floyd
        Thanks for the info. I tried to e-mail him but the message comes back saying he cannott receive e-mail because his address is discontinued. ?????? gmawdguy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
          Thanks for the info. I tried to e-mail him but the message comes back saying he cannott receive e-mail because his address is discontinued. ?????? gmawdguy

          grayasskitty <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: There was a website I came across awhile back that showed the
          complete internal workings of the 6000 AWD tranny. I think ste89awd
          put it up. Send him an email, he knows more about the AWD system
          than anyone I know of.

          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • ste89awd
          I don t think I ever entered my e-mail address on the yahoo profiles thingy, but anyway. The link is actually provided on this board in the Links menu to
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
            I don't think I ever entered my e-mail address on the yahoo profiles
            thingy, but anyway. The link is actually provided on this board in
            the "Links" menu to the left. It's under "my site dedicated to the
            ste/awd 6000" by ste86sc3800. I'd put the link here directly, but
            Yahoo! usually seems to cut them off. That's Jays' site. We used to
            write back and fourth pretty often, but he kinda' disappeared a year
            or so ago.
          • Arthur Floyd
            Thank you kind sir! gmawdguy ste89awd wrote: I don t think I ever entered my e-mail address on the yahoo profiles thingy,
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
              Thank you kind sir! gmawdguy

              ste89awd <ste89awd@...> wrote: I don't think I ever entered my e-mail address on the yahoo profiles
              thingy, but anyway. The link is actually provided on this board in
              the "Links" menu to the left. It's under "my site dedicated to the
              ste/awd 6000" by ste86sc3800. I'd put the link here directly, but
              Yahoo! usually seems to cut them off. That's Jays' site. We used to
              write back and fourth pretty often, but he kinda' disappeared a year
              or so ago.






              ---------------------------------
              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


              Visit your group "the6000club" on the web.

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              the6000club-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


              ---------------------------------






              ---------------------------------
              Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Arthur Floyd
              We looked at the info on the transfer case/planetary gears/sun gears etc. and were very impressed! My father feels that a 5-speed AWD Pontiac 6000 is possible.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
                We looked at the info on the transfer case/planetary gears/sun gears etc. and were very impressed! My father feels that a 5-speed AWD Pontiac 6000 is possible.
                Thanks gmawdguy

                ste89awd <ste89awd@...> wrote:
                The link is actually provided on this board in
                the "Links" menu to the left. It's under "my site dedicated to the
                ste/awd 6000" by ste86sc3800. I'd put the link here directly, but
                Yahoo! usually seems to cut them off. That's Jays' site. We used to
                write back and fourth pretty often, but he kinda' disappeared a year
                or so ago.


                ---------------------------------
                Yahoo! Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
                Photo Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.