Re: guages

  • bmm354
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
      Do you have any add-on power accessories tapped into the fuse panel
      in the glove compartment? I had aftermarket fog lights on my '87 LE
      that got power from one of the empty fuse slots. When I was
      installing the lights, just to test them, I plugged them into the
      empty slot. Since I wasn't using a relay (I later did), they drew
      too much power and immediately blew the fuse. I can't remember
      exactly what slot I had them plugged into--it was one of the empty
      slots. But it was the gauges fuse that blew so I had no speedo,
      odometer, warning lights, or overdrive. It looks like GM designed
      fuse protection into those extra slots. This way if someone taps
      into the fuse block the tap will be fuse-protected, even if the
      installer didn't install a separate fuse.

      If you have an accessory tapped into the fuse block, just remember
      to use a relay for items that draw a lot of power. And always
      install a separate fuse right after the power tap just in case. This
      way if there's a short, only the accessory's fuse will blow and not
      the gauges, ECM, or other important fuse.